Kits in direst need of replacement/updates

Evil Eye

9 hours ago, The Spitehorde said:

Chaos Spawn. The current kit is looking very dated.

Leave my spawn alone. It has some great bits and I'm afraid whatever GW goes us will be the monopose crap that was the recent cultists. I generally and very positive about GW, but the 2021 cultist releases (not the Traitor Guardmen, those are great) felt half-baked. They looked great, but those are the type of units someone would want to spam and they are far to individually distinctive. 

The Spawn kit itself is kind of a ripoff per points in game, but you can use the spare bits with other kits (like AoS Ogres) to make more spawn

Edited by sitnam

13 hours ago, sitnam said:

Leave my spawn alone. It has some great bits and I'm afraid whatever GW goes us will be the monopose crap that was the recent cultists. I generally and very positive about GW, but the 2021 cultist releases (not the Traitor Guardmen, those are great) felt half-baked. They looked great, but those are the type of units someone would want to spam and they are far to individually distinctive. 

The Spawn kit itself is kind of a ripoff per points in game, but you can use the spare bits with other kits (like AoS Ogres) to make more spawn

I'm certainly no fan of monopose stuff! I just want to see an updated version of the current kit. One with a touch more flair artistically , instead of looking as they currently do as  something a slightly dimwitted 5 year old comes up with after you hand them a tub of Play-Doh. 

Edited by The Spitehorde
Edited for added content.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the necrobump, but having built another Land Raider with the MkIIB upgrade, and said, uh, second generation resin upgrades being FAR better fitting than the actual plastic parts...yeah, I REALLY think we're due a replacement.

Agree on Warp Spiders and Vespid. Two very old kits.

I agree about Firstborn marine tanks too. With a little imagination, you can create a firstborn army using primaris models, but the tanks are now so absurdly small that they look daft alongside them. A Rhino was always too small to carry ten marines, but imagine trying to fit ten truescale guys in there… personally I don’t really like the hover tanks either and I’d much prefer to have upscaled predators etc. I’d also like to see them given some extra weapons or a points reduction, as the newer SM vehicles seriously outgun them. This is especially true of the Land Raider, which is massively over costed for its damage output.

Size wise I've always felt like transports were a little small for all factions. There's no way you're fitting 10 Fire Warriors into a Devilfish, or 5 Ogryns into a Chimera.

The new Primaris get championed as this great scale savior but I can't see 10 Intercessors fitting into a Repulsor any easier than 10 Tactical Marines into a Rhino.

Scale wise, the increase in size of everything over the years has made it more difficult to transport my army and I'm deliberately sticking with Firstborn for that very reason. Enough with the size increase! (I don't imagine I'm a voice that will echo back to me much on this, it's just my personal feelings on the matter I know)

The only Transports that scale correctly are Monoliths and Night Scythes and that's because they're using teleportation :biggrin:

A lot of the Xenos factions are still rife with Finecast. I'd love to see what they're able to do with Mandrakes in Plastic, same for the rest of the phoenix lords and aspect warriors. Even things like the Beastmaster and his pals would look ace updated in plastic, they looked fantastic at the time but haven't aged that well especially with Finecast added in the equation

43 minutes ago, Halandaar said:

I feel like vehicles being somewhat undersized is just a necessary abstraction, otherwise you'd need to have Rhinos the size of Lands Raiders and Land Raiders the size of Baneblades. 

Part of the issue is that GW vehicles tend to be rather short; their footprint is much squarer than real tanks/APCs, which are longer with a more rectangular footprint. A 1/35th scale M113 (the inspiration for the Rhino) is about the same width, but nearly 3cm longer, which would go a good way to making it look like 10 marines actually fit inside. Plus 40k tank guns are ludicrously large, so much so there's regularly barely enough room in the turret for it to recoil or depress, let alone have a commander and loader in with that monster.

5 hours ago, Halandaar said:

I feel like vehicles being somewhat undersized is just a necessary abstraction, otherwise you'd need to have Rhinos the size of Lands Raiders and Land Raiders the size of Baneblades. 

This is why I never liked having Marines standing in the top-hatches; I like the handwave that vehicles are smaller for gameplay purposes, but then you have a Marine who couldn't possibly manoeuvre themselves (in their armour) in and out of those tiny hatches.

Apart from the expectable and much mentioned truelly outdated (catachan) and finecast kits one thing also springs to mind;

Models for Troupe master, Knight centura & Shield captains are really needed (its possible there are more like this)... I know they are supposed to come from the kits, but the point list of custodes look ridiculous, if they insist on basing points on kits rather than individuals, then at least do it right.

10 hours ago, Halandaar said:

In fact, the last time I played that’s almost exactly what I did. I’m gonna get a spartan soon to counts as a land raider for my terminators

Is it too soon to say Ork Boyz? :teehee: Monopose troops with virtually no options for an inherently customizable horde army, I have no idea what GW was thinking....

More seriously, I'd throw my hat in the Defiler's ring. Such a great unit/concept that's been left to rot for way too long. Obviously most of the Aspect Warriors and Phoenix Lords too.

On 7/1/2023 at 4:03 PM, KaosRaptor said:

Is it too soon to say Ork Boyz? :teehee: Monopose troops with virtually no options for an inherently customizable horde army, I have no idea what GW was thinking....

More seriously, I'd throw my hat in the Defiler's ring. Such a great unit/concept that's been left to rot for way too long. Obviously most of the Aspect Warriors and Phoenix Lords too.

Given the older Boyz kit is still in production, that's a good shout! Scale aside I'd argue it's honestly a better kit than the newer one, especially given you can't make a full squad of slugga OR shoota boyz with that monopose mess.

On 6/30/2023 at 2:15 PM, gideon stargreave said:

In fact, the last time I played that’s almost exactly what I did. I’m gonna get a spartan soon to counts as a land raider for my terminators

Don’t buy new until you check ebay.  I picked up a nos Spartan for $60.  Then the next day they sent it to legends.

Pretty much any track based tank that hasn't been produced in the last few years. Rhinos, predators, leman russ, basilisk, land raider etc. 

I hope when that day comes they make the tanks more realistic looking ie suspension/ground clearance etc. I'm not looking for ultra realism just some believability.

The whole grey Knight range...they just look sad next to primaris. I don't think they should be primaris...just upscale the first born for them.

And my controversial pick....custodes. They need a rescale as their proportions aren't the best imo compared to the primaris sculpts which have excellent proportions.

The kits, according to me, that are in the direst need in the CSM range are:

Bikes (The drivers are almost smaller than Gretchin)

Spawns (Is it possible to make a kit uglier)

Defiler (Give us a better looking thing on a base please)

Lord in terminator armour (I have a feeling it is smaller than a standard CSM terminator)

Sonics (Yes I know there will be a whole EC range soon, as large as the World Eaters range probably, but those sonic upgrades don't hack it today.)

Not in such a dire need, but it would be fun to have CSM vehicles that are not just Imperial vehicles with spikes. I hate scrapping off the imperial dodo from different parts of the kit, tracks, front etc.

Cpt. Danjou

Edited by Cpt.Danjou
I not know grammar!

39 minutes ago, Subtleknife said:

Pretty much any track based tank that hasn't been produced in the last few years. Rhinos, predators, leman russ, basilisk, land raider etc. 

I hope when that day comes they make the tanks more realistic looking ie suspension/ground clearance etc. I'm not looking for ultra realism just some believability.

The whole grey Knight range...they just look sad next to primaris. I don't think they should be primaris...just upscale the first born for them.

And my controversial pick....custodes. They need a rescale as their proportions aren't the best imo compared to the primaris sculpts which have excellent proportions.

Suspension and ground clearance are heresy. 

On 7/3/2023 at 10:51 AM, Evil Eye said:

Given the older Boyz kit is still in production, that's a good shout! Scale aside I'd argue it's honestly a better kit than the newer one, especially given you can't make a full squad of slugga OR shoota boyz with that monopose mess.

Man I would've loved to have been a fly on the wall for the conversation when they were deciding the loadout options for that set. It put me off collecting orks at all!

....I mean also limited time, space, and money. But mostly the terrible boyz kit!