Termagant Miniature of the Month + Tyranid Coin

It's about damn time. 

This time round, GW has been saying you have to build the mini in-store, and it possibly should have been that way for a while. It's supposed to keep you in store for a bit, but anyone with experience will be done in 5 mins of clipping and semi-awkward smalltalk. 

It's not really for newbies, as they only put out the info on WarCom, so only people that already follow them will know about the model. It's for whales to test out a new model from a new army, possibly buy paints for it, then maybe get hooked. How many people have started full armies from small beginnings like Kill Team, or the other half of a starter force that you never got round to selling and decided to keep? Most Blood Angels players are defacto tyranids players also by virtue of having shed loads of nids bundled with anything we got for a period of time. 

My local GW stores links it to a monthly painting contest, if you want the mini you have to paint it and bring it back within 3-4 weeks (depending on how early you go pick it up), and then you can get it back after they choose the best painted ones over the weekend (no prizes other than bragging rights as far as I know).

As for the presentation of the mini, it has varied a bit, sometimes they have given it directly built, the last couple times it was in the dedicated sprue so I could build it at home, and twice they just had the unit sprues so you had to pick your mini of choice and build it there, but if you were one of the first you could choose the leader or special member of the unit (I learnt my lesson too late on the month they were giving cursed city minis, so I could not choose any of the fancy ones, but the vampire/ghoul I chose made for good conversion material).

I have not participated every month, but if you don't bring it back in time you cannot participate the following month. This reminds meI  should finish converting the arbites tonight or I won't be done paiting it by the deadline on Friday :sweat:

Edited by Elzender

I was just going by what the manager said (he can be very abrasive). If it wasn't for that stipulation I was going to pick up the seraphon as a joke gift for my father. While I will be in store on the 24th (picking Leviathan up) I doubt I'll need the single Termagant :laugh:

The coin though, how much is it you have to spend again to get it?

Regardless of what individual stores might be doing, the official gw stance is as follows for the MotM. 

The model should be built in store however you are free to then take it away and do what you wish with it no strings attached. It can be used as part of a painting competition in store but it is not a condition of getting the model and they certainly don't get to keep the model from you once painted.

For example, my local store does a painting comp with them but this is entirely optional and you don't have to take part to get the model. You bring it back in for voting four weeks later over a weekend and then once that's over you're free to grab it back at any time. 

This has always been the company stance with these outside of covid restrictions which prevented instore building (and therefore you just took away the parts). 

If you have a store manager or staff deviating from this I suggest you remind them of this and if they do refuse on those grounds then do speak to customer services as this is not what they're supposed to be doing. 

Edited by Waaagh?

6 hours ago, Xenith said:

It's about damn time. 

This time round, GW has been saying you have to build the mini in-store, and it possibly should have been that way for a while. It's supposed to keep you in store for a bit, but anyone with experience will be done in 5 mins of clipping and semi-awkward smalltalk. 

It's not really for newbies, as they only put out the info on WarCom, so only people that already follow them will know about the model. It's for whales to test out a new model from a new army, possibly buy paints for it, then maybe get hooked. How many people have started full armies from small beginnings like Kill Team, or the other half of a starter force that you never got round to selling and decided to keep? Most Blood Angels players are defacto tyranids players also by virtue of having shed loads of nids bundled with anything we got for a period of time. 

It doesn't though? At no point in the article does it mention "model must be built/painted in-store". That's entirely on the store manager

26 minutes ago, Gederas said:

It doesn't though? At no point in the article does it mention "model must be built/painted in-store". That's entirely on the store manager

The build in store is company policy but the painted in store isn't and that's a manager doing something he's not supposed to be. 

12 minutes ago, Waaagh? said:

The build in store is company policy but the painted in store isn't and that's a manager doing something he's not supposed to be. 

I can't say I agree with the build in store being company policy and that it like painting is a manager policy.  GW even make a specific 'flat' box designed to take the sprue.  Same graphical design as the tall model size red boxes.  As seen in this picture https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer/comments/xbcan2/i_got_this_for_free_when_i_vosited_warhammer_shop/  They wouldn't make such a sprue box if you weren't meant to take the sprue away unbuilt.

I travel for work across the UK and it's become a bit of a tradition for me to pick up the latest free model to build and paint in the hotel room with a limited modelling kit.  Until recently I had never been compelled to build in store.  In most stores they have them out on a table and asking a staff member will just say help yourself.  In some they offer that it can be built in store but this is always presented more as a help to the customer and I've never had a problem saying I'd prefer to build else where.  This has included the flagship store at Totten Court Road, as well as Nottingham, Manchester, Birmingham and a dozen more beside.

However recently I did hit a build in store enforcer in the Leicester store.  He was most unpleasant about it and virtually accused me of trying to steal the sprue (it's free, try telling that to the police).  He also had no advertising about the model in the store and he had them hidden behind the counter.  So I think the 'company policy' thing is something store managers like him hide behind when it has no real basis.

I'm pretty sure you don't have to build it there according to the corporate policy.

The store managers themselves were supposed to build the ones before they came on their own sprue.

Edited by WrathOfTheLion

58 minutes ago, Nova-V said:

I can't say I agree with the build in store being company policy and that it like painting is a manager policy.  GW even make a specific 'flat' box designed to take the sprue.  Same graphical design as the tall model size red boxes.  As seen in this picture https://www.reddit.com/r/Warhammer/comments/xbcan2/i_got_this_for_free_when_i_vosited_warhammer_shop/  They wouldn't make such a sprue box if you weren't meant to take the sprue away unbuilt.

I travel for work across the UK and it's become a bit of a tradition for me to pick up the latest free model to build and paint in the hotel room with a limited modelling kit.  Until recently I had never been compelled to build in store.  In most stores they have them out on a table and asking a staff member will just say help yourself.  In some they offer that it can be built in store but this is always presented more as a help to the customer and I've never had a problem saying I'd prefer to build else where.  This has included the flagship store at Totten Court Road, as well as Nottingham, Manchester, Birmingham and a dozen more beside.

However recently I did hit a build in store enforcer in the Leicester store.  He was most unpleasant about it and virtually accused me of trying to steal the sprue (it's free, try telling that to the police).  He also had no advertising about the model in the store and he had them hidden behind the counter.  So I think the 'company policy' thing is something store managers like him hide behind when it has no real basis.

Sounds like that last manager just tries to hide them so he can horde them for himself and staff.

i was just thinking about sending all my family members to go get me one lol

Proxy agents getting miniatures to game the system.

Hmmmm why would they want you to build them in the store I wonder? 

I'm not defending store managers for being rude or heavy handed, if you shop there, and they can see you're obviously a player using summer stay in store mechanic is bull.

If the system is getting abused, multiple return trips, whole families of obviously not players with hands out, this would be a way to curb that.

Stock is also an issue.

If an actual player goes in to get one, and can't because free meta abuse had taken them all, that would suck.

In truth I've never gone in for a single mini for free, my closest store is 60 miles from my house, $15 is gas and 2 hours of my time for a single mini is not free. I'm glad they have this idea and think it's great for the painters among us, without buying a while box you can "try out" a figure.

I'd happily spend the time to build it in store on a lunch break.

I'd prefer the nid though the Lizardman looks like it'd be fun to paint.

However, given the day they release these I very much doubt they will have any left in stock by the time I get into my local store as the earliest I can make it is the Wednesday.

11 hours ago, Nova-V said:

No it definitely is company policy but as we've seen managers tend to play fast and loose with it. The sprue sized boxes where initially sent out only for use in situations where build in store couldn't happen such as when lockdown protocol was in place.

I have been given a bunch of the Easy to Build Spae Marine Intercessors and Stormcast Spear guys* ( probably not their real name) to test color schemes on by my local GW, and lots of minitures of the month, and they never asked me to paint or build them in store. That would feel weird. 

My local store has always been happy to give the miniatures away, I even got two guardsmen as I said (truthfully) that my friend wanted one but couldn't make it that day.

That said it's a very small store often full of excited kids so maybe they've recognised there isn't space to force everyone to build in store, or it's just down to the manager attitude?

A friend reported a less positive experience at another store in the area. At the end of the day it sounds like a postcode lottery.

Edited by Beaky Brigade

the only issue we have at our local store is that they disappear so fast!

generally they are given out pre-built and there is a "suggestion" of taking part in the monthly painting comp.