John Blanche Retires

image.png

Courtesy of good ol' Tuomas Pirinen of Mordheim (and soon Trench Crusade) fame; John's artstyles have permeated the setting for decades, and his work in recent years as a concept artist has helped to shape recent armies in both 40k and AoS.

End of an era. As someone who was fortunate to discover the world of Warhammer in the late 80s as a child in England, his artwork permeated the very fabric of it all. I do enjoy some other Warhammer art but I couldn't tell you the artists' names; most people however would probably recognise a John Blanche piece in a heartbeat. 

I wish there was more contemporary Warhammer artwork of an equally idiosyncratic style. Blanche's work always felt so evocative and less literal than a lot of other Warhammer art. There is a wonderfully chaotic nature (no, not *that* Chaos) to his work that just seems to encapsulate the utter madness of Warhammer 40k and Fantasy so perfectly.

I sincerely hope that his body of work will continue to be an inspiration in Warhammer because truth be told, I sort of feel it less and less in some of the contemporary design, be it models or art.

What an amazing career. I believe his work was the box art for both 2nd and 3rd edition boxes - both iconic in my mind before I even started playing. Blanche's stuff was unique in sci-fi/fantasy. It's hard to really explain it but I'd say it was similar to how H.R. Giger's work was unique in the same genres. Not in aesthetics or themes, but in perspective and approach to the subject, if that makes any sense. Even his non-GW work is very cool. I hope he keeps turning out new stuff.

I thought this was going to be an announcement he started a YouTube channel!  In all seriousness JB is one of those creatives that kind of permeates two entire generation’s early years and it’s sad to see him leave GW but hopefully his retirement projects are something we can all see and enjoy. 

Inevitable, I will miss his art in wh40k. 

I was hooked in in 2nd edition but my very first edition (for gaming too) was the third with his amazing cover. 

I don't like every single art piece he made, of course but he was/is so iconic and instrumental to the vibe and feel of wh40k, the true father of grimdark for me. Many artists who came after him were inspired by his work and shaped what is the most beautiful aspect of this hobby for me. 

So many miniature concepts...

I can only say: Thank you and all the best in your deserve retirement.

As somebody that collects the Adeptus Mechanicus range I owe him more than most, though a lot of the Codex artwork was from other artists it was his groundwork from decades before that inform the development of the faction. His work forms the bedrock of the 40k setting and while Jes Goodwin is often responsible for the final appearance of models it often felt like it was John Blanche that laid the foundations for the initial direction.

I think that while I owned the 2nd edition box set with all that crazy art I think it was purchasing the Inquisitor Sketchbook while I was at uni that really got me to appreciated his work and that of concept art in general. I spent hours poring over Inquisitors, solar cultists, mutants and tech priests through the lens that sat on the edge of genius and madness and deliberately so.

I'm going to miss his input into GW's development but I hope he enjoys his retirement. He will be missed by a lot of people.

Amazonia Gothique (the best WD cover mentioned above) is definitely a classic.

I think his most iconic work, for me, is the Emperor sits upon on his Golden Throne, with Sister of Battle a close second. He's been such a huge influence on so many of us, I hope he gets to enjoy a fun and peaceful retirement!

Emperor, Golden Throne, John Blanche.jpg

John-Blanche-Sister-of-Battle.jpg

Edited by Arkhanist

That Emperor one is also a favourite of mine.

I also really enjoyed these:

tumblr_lh94kqm8r01qhslato1_1280-695x1024.thumb.jpg.bdacb4b9e76a9f366a02dae40dfd17bc.jpg

This one really encapsulated the cosmic horror that was the Tyranid menace. A wash of creatures running at you and almost unstoppable. Real horror there; how do you face that?

ySpU2Xp.thumb.jpg.a5125e76901cee5a5ec3ac7c70b2d8c8.jpg

And this one similary shows the scale of 40K warfare but also the gothic darkness of even the Ultramarines.

Special mention to the Terminator which really showed the scale of those bad boys.

I spent a little time looking for his illustrations online, and came across this Warhammer Community article on conversions inspired by John Blanche artwork, and the artwork that inspired them - thought it was worth sharing :smile: 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/05/11/classic-warhammer-art-comes-to-life-in-these-john-blanche-inspired-conversions/

I wish John a long and happy retirement, his vision defined the Warhammer universe we know and love!

I believe It also shouldn’t be underestimated how influential he was on the amazing artists that have also become Hallowed names in the Warhammer hobby! K koplinski, A Smith, A Boyd etc giving the artists a truly deep and emersive visual IP too create within

while it’s not everyone’s favourite Johns art IS 40k…

On 6/1/2023 at 10:16 PM, Firedrake Cordova said:

I spent a little time looking for his illustrations online, and came across this Warhammer Community article on conversions inspired by John Blanche artwork, and the artwork that inspired them - thought it was worth sharing :smile: 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/05/11/classic-warhammer-art-comes-to-life-in-these-john-blanche-inspired-conversions/

If only GW honoured their great servant with a series of models based on John’s iconic images.  No need for in game usage, just pure joy from seeing his unique vision realised.  A proper Blandishu range.

Edited by Felix Antipodes
Fat fingers

Along with Ian Miller (and, to a lessser degree, Jes Goodwin), he pretty much created the Games Workshop aesthetic. I remember being awestruck by his art all the way back to the Fighting Fantasy days. I even have a medley of some of his landscapey pieces tattooed on my arm, just to give an idea of how much I love his unique style.

Truly one of the greats. I hope his retirement is long and happy!