=] EVENT: Call to Arms [=

Announcement.png

The Call to Arms 2023

What better way to celebrate a new edition of our favourite table-top wargame than to have a big Inter-Forum Painting Event, amiright? Time to bust out those brushes and paints and stand ready to represent your Forum/s of choice and aid them on the path to claim Victory!!!!

Intro Imperium.png

What is The Call to Arms, I hear you ask?

The Call to Arms is a new multi-forum event designed to celebrate the coming of Warhammer 40,000's new, 10th Edition, and encourage us all to start a new army, or bring our current armies into the new edition.

The Forums of the B&C are divided up into three Strongholds;

The Imperium Stronghold

The Chaos Stronghold

The Xenos Stronghold

These three Strongholds will act as the hub for each of the three main Factions, and for the 3 Month duration of the Call to Arms, will run independently of the two other Strongholds. Each Stronghold may have different targets and goals, and even their own mini/complementary events, all with unique badges and achievements, but at the end of the 3 months, the three Strongholds will face off, and overall winners will be declared.

The three Strongholds will be separate threads, each hosted in The Forge WIP forum for the duration of the Event. They will be posted on the 24th of June, and unlocked for vows on the 1st of July.

Start Date: 1st July 

End Date: 30th September

2- Rules.png

So, how is it all going to work?

1. As each of the Strongholds are acting (initially) as their own Events, you may choose to focus within a single Stronghold, OR participate in any combination of the three Strongholds, and any complementary/mini-events that you would like to.
  2. Models pledged to a Stronghold must come from the army books associated with those Forums covered by each Stronghold. The exceptions to this are Titans and models from the Other Games Forum (Aeronautica, Titanicus, Necromunda etc), these models / units may be pledged to any Stronghold.
  3. You may join in any of the Events at any time within the 3 Month time-frame of The Call to Arms.
  4. For each Stronghold, you have a MAXIMUM of 3 Vows, you must finish your active vow (in the Stronghold) before pledging to a second or third vow.
  5. Once recorded, Vows may not be altered, however special considerations may be made upon request.
  6. There is no minimum pledge, you may vow 1 model, or your entire collection, but beware, failing your last active vow will invalidate any completed vows you may have already submitted.

3- participation.png

How do I join in?

Each model has a point value based upon it's size, and the comparative amount of effort and time it takes to paint said model, listed below are the points-per-model, and some examples;

1pt   Infantry

2pts   Cavalry/Bikers/Heavy Weapons Teams

3pts   Walkers (Dreadnaughts, Sentinals, Armigers)

4pts   Skimmers / Light Vehicles (Landspeeders, ATV)

5pts   Small Tanks (Leman Russ, Rhino Variants)

6pts   Large Tanks (Rogal Dorn, Sicaran, Land Raider)

8pts   Superheavies (Baneblades etc) 

10pts Imperial Knight / Stompas etc

5pts  Abilities: Leader, Unit Composition:1 OR Epic Hero

20pts Warhound Titan

30pts Reaver Titan

40pts  Warbringer Titan

50pts Warlord Titan

Awards Imperium.png

Will there be any awards?

Yes!!  There will be similar Badges and Achievements available from all 3 Strongholds, in addition to the Badges and Achievements, Triszin has provided / organised some Sponsored Physical Prizes, which will awarded in the following categories; 

Favourite Young Blood - This category is for Participants who have been building and/or painting models for less than 12 months. Anyone wishing to participate as A Young Blood will need to specifically declare that are are doing so within their Vows. At the conclusion of the Event all Young Blood Entries will be placed into a Poll for the B&C at large to vote on and pick a Favourite. The voting criteria for this category is not about picking the best painted model, but the model that inexplicably puts a smile on your face, one that makes you think, damn that's cool.. 

(1 Prize across all three Strongholds) 

Master of the Forge - Best Conversion or Kit-bash

Stronghold Artificer - Best Painted Model

( 1 Prize per Stronghold, chosen by Frater Poll) 

Grand Marshal - Most Models Painted across all Strongholds

As to the overall competition between the Strongholds, there will also be Badges awarded for the following,

Masters of the Horde - The Stronghold that completes the highest overall number of models

Masters of the Call - The Stronghold that has the Highest Participation vs. Completion Percentage.

Master Artificer - Voted best painted Model, chosen from the 3 Stronghold Artificers.

If you have any questions or queries, just @Grotsmasha or @Triszin and we'll be more than happy to help you out.

Edited by Grotsmasha

I'm very interested! I have a company of dark angels I need to finish building and to paint that I have been procrastinating on this should be a good source of motivation to get them finished! 

Would units like space marine captains and apothecaries count as infantry or as independent characters? 

Edited by Marshal Mittens

@Grotsmasha @Triszin this feels like a fantastic dea, and hopefully it will bring back a bit of the ETL events spirit! 

Given that the pledge values are based on miniature type rather than point value (as happened in the ETL events), will it be possible to pledge models that do not have a direct entry on the army books ? As an example, inqusitorial agents that do not have an equivalent entry on any army book or have weapons/equipment they would not normally have access to on any official GW datasheet. 

21 minutes ago, Spazmolytic said:

It'll likely be inevitably asked so why not me, AT Titans would fall under what category? 

Base size would be the best indicator for this one, look at models on the same base, and if the same general size, use that value.

19 minutes ago, Trokair said:

I would like to extend the question to AI Planes and ground assets. 

Although base sizes won't help here, general model size is your best bet.

11 minutes ago, Marshal Mittens said:

Would units like space marine captains and apothecaries count as infantry or as independent characters? 

Basically any infantry sized unit that is fielded as a single model and not a unit, and is typically a HQ unit (so typically receives a higher level of paint work).

1 minute ago, Elzender said:

@Grotsmasha @Triszin Given that the pledge values are based on miniature type rather than point value (as happened in the ETL events), will it be possible to pledge models that do not have a direct entry on the army books ? As an example, inqusitorial agents that do not have an equivalent entry on any army book or have weapons/equipment they would not normally have access to on any official GW datasheet. 

Base size would be the best guide here, and as Inquisitorial Agents, they will fit in the Imperium Stronghold.

3 minutes ago, Doctor Perils said:

Heyhey! This could be nice motivation :D

Are there any ideas for pledging Terrain?

I actually managed to completely overlook terrain. We'll discuss and try to have something in place once the Event is live :thumbsup:

I've put up a Tyranids specific HQ topic to talk about the event and plan entries.

@Grotsmasha - Am I right in thinking that we can vow anything from our chosen team, so I could vow both Eldar, GSC and Tyranids models and they'll all be counted to the Xeno score, or are we faction-locked?

19 minutes ago, Xenith said:

Am I right in thinking that we can vow anything from our chosen team, so I could vow both Eldar, GSC and Tyranids models and they'll all be counted to the Xeno score, or are we faction-locked?

Correct, all Xenos are in this together and will pledge to the one Stronghold, so all models from those Factions are all fair game :thumbsup:

17 minutes ago, ZeroWolf said:

This sounds like a fun idea! What value would the new nid monsters come under? I was planning on focusing heavily on the mid side of Leviathan (and maybe extra)

Base size and model size comparison will give the best indication of which points level a model should sit at. By Event launch we should have clearer guidlines for most models :thumbsup:

Choices, choices. I'll probably keep working on my HH stuff as slow-burn, non-vowed (need something to keep working on in June :wink:). Maybe Necron Boarding Patrol and see about getting all my 40k Death Guard done? The DG may end up depending on how many points the Index makes my pile of shame....

YESSS. Some of the best painting fun I had in 2022 was the Chaos vs Eldar, Necron vs Tyranids, and Kill Team painting events. Looks like I’ll continue on with Age of Sigmar for the rest of June, then my bare gray Tzeentch warband will receive it’s time of day.

I’m also happy this was announced today, as I was about to go on vacation and bring my primed Scarab Occult with me

Edited by sitnam

Anything up to primed. Sub-assemblies allowed.

31 minutes ago, Large and Moving Torb said:

It's been a while since I participated in one of these, but I'm interested. What is the initial starting status requirement? From on-sprue? From built? From built and primed?

Generally it's single-colour primed too; I do zenithal priming, which is getting a bit too close to 'already started painting' as a rule, so it's easier just to pledge assembled-but-bare.

I asked this in the Realm of Chaos thread, but seems better to ask here: Can you pledge for multiple factions within a Stronghold? I have Cultists, Beastman, Scarab Occult, and Lord Discordant I was hoping to paint for this, will those all g towards the overall chaos score or so I need to paint just one faction?

2 hours ago, sitnam said:

I asked this in the Realm of Chaos thread, but seems better to ask here: Can you pledge for multiple factions within a Stronghold? I have Cultists, Beastman, Scarab Occult, and Lord Discordant I was hoping to paint for this, will those all g towards the overall chaos score or so I need to paint just one faction?

Absolutely, the Strongholds fight as one in this.

For anyone who'd like to have a go at the Grand Marshal Achievement / Prize, I'll clarify now that you have a total of 9 Vows, three in each Stronghold, and failing to complete a vow will only affect that Strongholds vows.