Faction Focus: Space Marine Chapters

So there really isn't such a thing as a subfaction anymore. GW did it, they made it so all Marines are the same bar unique units, so I can use the "Black Templars" Detachment for my Ultramarines fine.

Cor that's a bold move.

Interesting that they each keep Oath of Moment, seemingly indicating that they're still Faction: Space Marines.

2 minutes ago, Captain Idaho said:

So there really isn't such a thing as a subfaction anymore. GW did it, they made it so all Marines are the same bar unique units, so I can use the "Black Templars" Detachment for my Ultramarines fine.

Cor that's a bold move.

I'm guessing there might be soming like "Marneus Calgar cannot be taken in a Riteous Crusaders detachement" 

Not what I hoped with the factions just being "Space Marines, but Different", but it also isn't terrible?  And I REALLY liked the Death Company Intercessors can do an Overwatch or a Heroic Intervention, EVERY TURN, for free?!?  Sign me the :cuss: up.

That being said, I own 0 Death Company Intercessors, and own about 45 FirstBorn Death Company.  I was kind of hoping maybe they would get folded into each other.  Maybe by the time our Codex shows up in 2 years lol.  I expect then BA will get fleshed out into their own faction, much like how Dark Angels are getting their codex early in 2024.  If I have to be Space Marines until my codex comes out, I'm okay with that, as long as the rules for the units are cool and fluffy.

Edited by DemonGSides

The chapters do still exist because you can't mix and match units with different faction keywords. 

The paint on the army doesn't matter, but in other ways it's even more restrictive. The Lion and Guilliman can't join forces in the same army, for example.

1 minute ago, Malakithe said:

Using detachments to make them more unique...that opens up a lot of possibilities once the actual codexs come out. For DA I can see a detachment for pure ravenwing, pure deathwing

Yep that's my hope too.  We can get a Ravenwing Detatchment that has bespoke Ravenwing enhancements and strategems, while retaining some of the overall DA flavor through the Army Rule, once that gets updated.

4 minutes ago, Malakithe said:

Using detachments to make them more unique...that opens up a lot of possibilities once the actual codexs come out. For DA I can see a detachment for pure ravenwing, pure deathwing

Yeah in the full codex I expect 3 detachment, Grim Resolve, Death Wing and Raven Wing.

Anyway now is confimed the SS isn't a 3++ anymore but a +1w.

I almost expect the tau battlesuit with a 5++ now and a 4++ with the shield (because a 7w standard crisis with shield and 2 drones could be really chunky)

I'll need to show my son these blood angel previews for a better bit of feedback but these look fine to me. 

Knew they'd put the Lion here, not that I can remember what his 9th edition  rules were off the top of my head.

Seems alright. My Black Templars keep vows which is nice and the Sword Brethren going to 3 wounds with some decent rules is good news as well.

Wasn't expecting mega depth from index rules. But this does seem slightly better than the red/black/green Ultramarines that some people had assumed would be the case going forward.

Edited by Doobles88

All pretty interesting. The idea that there'll be, at some point, a terminator-focused Deathwing detachment that anyone can use sounds like a lot of fun.

Seems like they're ending this series of articles with a bit of a goofy one. It'll be funny to see what a titan's statline looks like these days. 

I think the Blood Angels and Black Templars have the best faction rules from the ones shown. Perhaps even better than the Doctrines?

I will admit that I like how thematic the factions are. The Dark Angel detachment is also very strong, but it doesn't jump out as much because it's based around holding objectives. We need more experience with the game, but if Battle Shock is as plentiful then they might be one of the best.

As an Ultramarines player I'm looking at the Black Templar vows, Deathwatch and Blood Angels and rubbing my hands with glee.

Army wide FNP is nice, as is giving myself Lethal Hits etc from Deathwatch. And I like a bit of melee so +1 Strength and Attack is delicious as well.

I also look forward to stealing the Deathwing rules for my Ultramarines. 

Deathwatch Combi weapons are now "Long Vigil ranged Weapons" with the same stats as all the other Combi Weapons and Power Weapons have been condensed into "Long Vigil melee weapons". Definitely looks like the Combi change is the same for everyone!

Those Wolves rules are ace! Bjorn's stonks just shot up!

If this is the approach for chapters then I see no reason why GW can't release supplements for all the first founding like 8th edition.

It should either be all get a supplement or all in one book imo like HH.

The Lions stats look good. Cheeky 3 plus invun there and the shield seems a lot better.

Edited by Subtleknife

Overall OK - and it will be less headackes to field a SW painted army using BA rules. A grat way to include proxy units too (ooP Wulfen as DeathCompany anyone?)

My main doubts are:

• Hound sof Morkai - How did they passed the test (of Morkai) to 10th Ed?
  • SW Detachment ruels - I am a SW fanatic, but I am not convinced by this. 
  • WolfGuard unit leaders?

I really like the DA rule.