SW Faction Focus

Valerian

31 minutes ago, Tokugawa said:

Max 1 per character, max 3 per army.

Perfect. This i think is the right way to do it. Cost points and hard caps. Let's you tailor a few characters for fun uses but not crazy stacked, and points costs will help keep it balanced . I actually really like it 

8 minutes ago, Rune Priest Jbickb said:

Perfect. This i think is the right way to do it. Cost points and hard caps. Let's you tailor a few characters for fun uses but not crazy stacked, and points costs will help keep it balanced . I actually really like it 

Yeah, most previous broken characters came from unexpected combo of wlt+relic+stratagem. We can't say new settings could shut down 100% probabilities of broken combos, but it is much more controllable.

• 2 weeks later...

for ob sec saga, would a drop pod with a hounds of morkai w/ phobos lt plus a prime champion led bladeguard squad be a good turn one play?

put the battle shock enhancement on one of them.

drop turn one ~ 9'' away from enemy or closer to objective and disembark. distance of ~ 6'' left

shoot with phobos and get the freebie move, 5'' or less left for them, Use ability to battle shock test> hopefully reducing oc to 0
charge (if necessary). bladeguard getting +1 to charge rolls so need at most a 5 to connect.. Battle shock test generated by enhancement as well.

I spent most of yesterday being down about what they've done to us but today i've been looking for ways to make it work.

Thinking the character dreads being on board is an easier way to get the saga of bear. Or gravis captain w/  wolf talisman (half damage then reduce by 1= immune to d2 or less weapons).

was also thinking that the storm wolfs ability to ride up the field 20'', unload 16 infantry models that can then advance and charge... that's a tonne of movement.

Scout bikers also look interesting. their outflanking 

thoughts on the ATV ability to give our [MOUNTED] TWC an annoying bit of ranged recoil?

Edited by ChronoCub

1 hour ago, ChronoCub said:

for ob sec saga, would a drop pod with a hounds of morkai w/ phobos lt plus a prime champion led bladeguard squad be a good turn one play?

put the battle shock enhancement on one of them.

drop turn one ~ 9'' away from enemy or closer to objective and disembark. distance of ~ 6'' left

No, Drop Pod does not work like that unfortunately. Units disembarking from a Pod also must stay >9" away from the enemy. You cannot use your 3" disembark move to sneak in a bit close to the enemy. You only have a 28% chance of making a 9" charge (about one game in 4, you will pull it off). Even with the rerolls from the Champion, the odds are only 42% so you are still more likely to fail the charge than pass.

If you want to go for Saga of Majesty, you are better off loading up on lots of indirect fire weapons. Turn 1, try and hose the Objective clear of enemy units. Turn 2, drop the Pod and seize the Objective. Turn 3, Saga activates.

It is a lot of investment and effort to secure a modest bonus to OC. What you have to ask yourself is whether the points spent on achieving the Saga would be better spent on units that can more directly control and contest nearer Objectives, Rather than going for a Saga gimmick, just get more boots on the ground. You will have more OC and those extra men can actually fight.

I am still convinced that the side-quests involved in activating the Sagas are too much effort for too little reward. I will be running my Wolves in a Gladius.

12 hours ago, Karhedron said:

Units disembarking from a Pod also must stay >9" away from the enemy.

While this is true, if you're going second you could use Rapid Ingress on the Drop Pod to bring it in at the end of the enemy's Movement phase. Then your unit could move, shoot and charge in your turn (assuming they're fine) to capture the objective. Going first, you'd be relying on the good ol' 9" charge from deep strike, but it is possible.

Otherwise, a Land Raider gives good depth - move 10", disembark wholly within 3", then you can shoot/charge; and Death Howl for 1CP (6" consolidate, ending in Engagement Range) could be enough to pile in the bodies on to an objective. Hell, Logan Grimnar, a TDA Ancient (for OC2 intially), a TDAWGPL and 5 Terminators of which flavour you prefer barrelling out of a Land Raider Crusader onto an enemy objective is probably stupid*, but it would be funny!

*Which is kind of the problem with the whole Saga thing in a nutshell...