Footslogging: MSU or big units?

Previous editions favoured MSU but I think 10th will favour bigger units. Characters can only buff the single unit they are attached to now instead of everyone in radius of their aura. That means a bigger unit will get more benefit from any Character attached. Secondly, bigger units need more damage before they have to start taking Battlwshock tests, important for Objective holding. I think we'll need a few games to tellfor sure but my hunch is that big units will be popular in 10th.

4 hours ago, Tacitus said:

Not really.  Whether a 20 model unit is effective when played comes down to how much of the 20 can participate in all the phases, and how much they can participate. 

Not even all phases necessarily, it depends on the price. Parking a unit that is very hard to kill on an Objective presents your opponent with a problem, even if it is not necessarily directly threatening his units.

It'll be interesting to know about what special rule our Battleline models get. We've seen Storm Guardians and Guardians for Eldar get different abilities, whilst all other Battleline units shown and leaked so far have abilities attached to Objectives as well.

So we can safely presume the historic Troops units of Space Marines all get objectives based rules and will likely be different.

I think the larger units will benefit from any rules that will be damage based, for sure. If a Tactical squad gets rerolls that help damage as a mirror to Chaos Marines, we can probably guess it'll be shooting based. That is essentially free Scions of Guilliman on objectives.

It is always dependent on what rules we see I guess.

I think we will see at least one unit getting rerolls when targeting enemy units holding an Objective. That seems a very common rule among Battleline units. Sticky Objectives is another common one.

The more I think about this, the worse it could be.

I mean figure the point of this is 10+ model units can't put up a 10 model wide frontage - I get that.

But you also have to maintain coherency in Charging and Combat - Pile In and Consolidation could be a real pain - can't consolidate into coherency and the enemy?  You can consolidate towards the nearest Objective which could take you out of engagement - can't get the last guy out on the edge back into coherency with 2 more models?  You can't consolidate, and if you probably can't consolidate you can't pile in on the next turn.