Legio Cybernetica, Kastelan Robot Stats Retooling

I noticed that at least since 7th edition, the only real robot we have had is the Kastelan Robot.

In earlier editions, however, this was not the case. More robots existed, like the Crusader, Colossus, Cataphract, Castellan, and Conqueror.

So how can we use the existing Kastelan to create the old Castellan Robot?

Replace their Kastelan fists with Power fists, and replace their Incendine combustor with a Heavy bolter. That's pretty much it, to be honest. Comparing our modern Kastelans with the classic Castellans, the HP/Wounds conversion rate between the many editions leaves them roughly the same, no need to change much more than that. Most robots had about 4 HP (aka Wounds), which would translate to about 7 or 8 wounds I would say, considering SMs had 1 wound back then, and they have 2 now. And all of them had 4 HP, except for the Conqueror, which had 5. But for the Castellan, I would also increase the amount of attacks from 3 to 4. Other than that, the stats are fine I suppose.

For more information, there's a belloflostsouls article that has a ton of stuff in it. Fun stuff.

Their 1e design:

Kastelanrobot.jpeg

Perhaps using the Kastelan as a template, other robots can be recreated by changing the stats/wargear?

I just thought this would be neat to think about.

I seem to recall that FW recreated one but that's all that I know of without a great deal of conversion work.

https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Crusader_Class_Robot

https://warhammer40k.fandom.com/wiki/Vorax-class_Battle-Automata

I was hoping 40k would see more Robot designs but so far they are not sitting at Primaris Lieutenant levels of ubiquity. :laugh: 

next on my list:

The Colossus-Class Robot, Rebuilt as: The 'Kolossus'-pattern

This robot is pretty close to the original Castellan in stats and point cost...

Colossus Class Robot - Warhammer 40k - Lexicanum

Stats:

Overall: [ Elites or Heavy Support | Power 4-or-5/model ] (up to you, really)

Classic: [ M 6" | WS 4+ | BS 3+ | S 8 | T 7 | W 7 | A 2 | Ld 10 (?) | Sv 2+ | Base 60mm (?) ]

Modern: [ M 8" | WS 4+ | BS 4+ | S 6 | T 6 | W 7 | A 3 | Ld 10 | Sv 3+ | Base 60mm ]

Lore-Friendly Optimization [ M 8" | WS 4+ | BS 4+ | S 6 | T 7 | W 7 | A 3 | Ld 10 | Sv 2+ | Base 60mm ] (this should make it more viable I would say)

Weapons:

Classic: Boltgun, Meltagun, Thunder Hammer

Modern: Forge Bolter, Meltagun, Heavy Thunder Hammer (more viable as well)

Everything Else: Leave it the same.

Notes:

Compared to the Kastelan, these new Kolossus robots are a bit better at moving and shooting, and while it's tough to beat the Kastelans at sheer pummeling power, you can get close-ish. It'll be cool, trust me.

15 hours ago, 40k_fan said:

next on my list:

The Colossus-Class Robot, Rebuilt as: The 'Kolossus'-pattern

This robot is pretty close to the original Castellan in stats and point cost...

Colossus Class Robot - Warhammer 40k - Lexicanum

Interesting, Though I always though the Domitar (especially the Iron CIrcel version) were direct heirs of the Colossus Class - Did you consider it as an option, trying to do a shift from 30k to 40k of the Domitar just as they did in GW from Castellan to Kastellan?

In terms of Robots, do not forget the suicide D2R2 / Bombot. This one, although not a Kastaellan chassis, is worth being considered. If I remamber well, though the Programming options, even other types / any type of droid could be refurbished as a suicide bomb...

On 6/6/2023 at 5:39 AM, Bouargh said:

Interesting, Though I always though the Domitar (especially the Iron CIrcel version) were direct heirs of the Colossus Class - Did you consider it as an option, trying to do a shift from 30k to 40k of the Domitar just as they did in GW from Castellan to Kastellan?

In terms of Robots, do not forget the suicide D2R2 / Bombot. This one, although not a Kastaellan chassis, is worth being considered. If I remamber well, though the Programming options, even other types / any type of droid could be refurbished as a suicide bomb...

The Domitar is actually a variant of the Conqueror-class robot, not the Colossus.

Luckily for you, I did make some stats for the "Konqueror Class Robot" (you can click the link to read my datasheet for it)

If a regular Kastelan is akin to a dreadnought, this would be more along the lines of redemptor.

This one was fun to write.

Conqueror Class Robot - Warhammer 40k - LexicanumDomitar Class Robot - Warhammer 40k - Lexicanum

the resemblance is uncanny!

Edited by 40k_fan

My latest adaptation: The Crusader Robot

this version of the crusader robot combines aspects of several past versions.

I reimagined it as a sort of stealthy hunter robot, creeping around with its beady bug eyes and gangly limbs, so I gave it a refractor field and a stealth field instead of the typical repulsor.

I gave it a set of big power claws, and a rotor cannon, as a callback to some of its past weapon options.

It's slightly smaller and weaker than the Kastelan, but it is still mostly as hardy in the ways that matter.

Vorax Class Robot - Warhammer 40k - Lexicanum

If you are hung up on scale issues, just imagine these ones are scaled down versions for stealth purposes.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-EZWkRjNl4SvmT7OVzKiDGW19JLhABzMVdb608_7SmE/edit?usp=sharing