10th Edition: Deep Strike Turn 1?

NTaW
Go to solution Solved by Emperor Ming,

I've been reading through the 10th edition rules since the official copy was released in full and can't seem to find the pre-existing caveat excluding Deep Strike units from arriving on the first turn. After a full read I went back and checked over these sections:

pg. 16, 2. Reinforcements : "In the Reinforcements step of your Movement phase..."

pg. 39, Deep Strike : "...in the Reinforcements step of one of your Movement phases..."

I have found the caveat in the Strategic Reserves section on page 43 but it states these type of Reserves are separate from other types of Reserves.

Opening paragraph : "...so these rules do not apply to units that are using other rules..."

Arriving From Strategic Reserves : "...can arrive later in the battle...except during the first battle round."

Have I missed something here or am I right in thinking that Reserves, or at least Deep Strike Reserves if we're to see something different from Codex books, can arrive on the first turn?

It doesn't look like there is a restriction.  As they've specifically excluded Deep Strike etc. from the Strategic Reserves rules, which includes the first battle round restriction.

This could be intended, or an error.  At this stage, we don't know.  So the RAW currently wins out, that being that there is no restriction to units arriving from Deep Strike on turn 1.

Edited by Dam13n

4 minutes ago, Dam13n said:

Page 43.

Unfortunately, @NTaW makes the point that Deep Strike doesn't put the unit in Strategic Reserves, it just puts it into Reserves. Reserve units do not follow the Strategic Reserve rules, so right now RAW- Deep Strike units are able to be put into Reserves before Deployment (pg 39), then be deployed in the 1st turn (as Reserve units have no rules limiting them to being deployed on turn 1). 

My guess- this will be FAQ'd day 1 due to two issues with the Strategic Reserve/Reserve interactions-

1. The above issue of deploying Deep Strike units on turn 1.

2. Deep Strike units don't count as Strategic Reserve units, thus they are not limited to 25% of the total army going into Strategic Reserves during deployment. This allows for an army comprised of mass Deep Strike units (say...Deathwing...), to place a large majority of their units in Reserves at deployment, put up to 25% of their non-Deep Strike units in Strategic Reserves, and have a very limited (or even none) amount of units on the battlefield. 

• Solution

Don't panic folks:biggrin:

Its in the mission cards, the DS restrictions are the same as they are now:

1, no turn one, destroyed on end of turn three, if not brought in

2, destroyed does not apply to going back into reserve

3, no more than 50% of units and 50% of points can be placed into reserve. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking into this myself this morning and came to the same conclusion, I haven’t seen the mission cards though… I think I saw one mission in the core rules pack and that was it? Is there a separate set of mission cards?

I am going to be playing Chaos Daemons so important to understand these rules as it is important to our strategy I think.