Creating stats for lizard xenos

I guess another alternative is if you are intending on... "creating your own codex" , potentially you could pull any unit, from any faction and use their STATs as is and just rename the unit, weapons etc. Find the 40k unit that best matches the AoS unit and models, rinse and repeat for each unit.

What else will be in the army, and hpw do you envisage them fighting on the table

My gut reaction was GSC abherrents for the saurus - big tough monsters with blunt weapons, and skinks would fill in the role of the neophytes, though what kroxigor would be is tough.

Orks is also good if you want the saurus to be the main part of the army. 

Tyrnids is not a bad idea. I could see something along the lines of:

Skins = Gaunts

Saurus Warriors = Genestealers

Kroxigors = Warriors

Stegadon = Tervigon

Saurus Scar-Veteran = Broodlord

Carnosaur/Troglodon = Gribbly of your choice

Raptadon Chargers = Leapers/Raveners 

Aggradon Lacers = Tyrant guard?

Slann Starmaster = Neurotyrant/Maleceptor? (Magic = psychic)

I have been toying with something like this since 5th edition, and Orks have always been the easiest rules to fit the various Lizards in.

That said back then I lacked the converting skills so count as ork lizards where a little behind me, instead I did daemon lizards, mostly khorne daemons but had plans to expand to the others (this was before AoS came along and made lizards daemons of light/good (or whatever the AoS 1st ed fluff was)). I never really finished the army and probably wont now.   

With the new lizard release I have been re-examining this idea myself, and for a Saurus focused project Orks still fit the best. Especily now that Beastsnaggers are a thing.

That said Tyranids do have potential, but the biggest hurdled there I think are nid weapons, specifically guns.  

For me when I do a conversion project like this I want to have some element that is clearly 40k and not to hard for my opponent to see the parallel to the unit it is counting as. So Saurus with an ork shooter standing in for an ork with a shooter is easy to grok and helps the opponent remember what that unit is.

With nid weapons it gets a little tricky as they are part of the creatures, now by all means you can use nid parts and have your lizards have organic guns grow from their arms, but in my mind that wont looks as good.

Also I did a AoS Sylvaneth to Tyranid project, so Turing another AoS into nids is of the table for me personally at the moment.

I have actually been considering necrons, with a focus on Destroyer Cult units and Kroxigors as my main conversion starting point. The smaller lizards could then go for other units (skinks as warriors, saurus as immortals/lychguard/deathamrk) Slan in a catacomb command barge and such but the real focus is going to be the Kroxigors as various Destroyer cult units (aside from maybe the Ophidians, they seem a bit to squishy for a kroxigor model compared to the rest).

So if you are doing the entire lizardmen range to 40k then I think Ork will work best, but if you are focusing on a subset then some of the other options might work better (the skink, kroxigor + big dino Fantasy/AoS list style fit with Nids gaunts/warriors/big thing).

In the end the most important thing will be what will be what for you fits the spirit of the lizardmen and will be fun for you to convert and play.

2 hours ago, Trokair said:

I have been toying with something like this since 5th edition, and Orks have always been the easiest rules to fit the various Lizards in.

That said back then I lacked the converting skills so count as ork lizards where a little behind me, instead I did daemon lizards, mostly khorne daemons but had plans to expand to the others (this was before AoS came along and made lizards daemons of light/good (or whatever the AoS 1st ed fluff was)). I never really finished the army and probably wont now.   

With the new lizard release I have been re-examining this idea myself, and for a Saurus focused project Orks still fit the best. Especily now that Beastsnaggers are a thing.

That said Tyranids do have potential, but the biggest hurdled there I think are nid weapons, specifically guns.  

For me when I do a conversion project like this I want to have some element that is clearly 40k and not to hard for my opponent to see the parallel to the unit it is counting as. So Saurus with an ork shooter standing in for an ork with a shooter is easy to grok and helps the opponent remember what that unit is.

With nid weapons it gets a little tricky as they are part of the creatures, now by all means you can use nid parts and have your lizards have organic guns grow from their arms, but in my mind that wont looks as good.

Also I did a AoS Sylvaneth to Tyranid project, so Turing another AoS into nids is of the table for me personally at the moment.

I have actually been considering necrons, with a focus on Destroyer Cult units and Kroxigors as my main conversion starting point. The smaller lizards could then go for other units (skinks as warriors, saurus as immortals/lychguard/deathamrk) Slan in a catacomb command barge and such but the real focus is going to be the Kroxigors as various Destroyer cult units (aside from maybe the Ophidians, they seem a bit to squishy for a kroxigor model compared to the rest).

So if you are doing the entire lizardmen range to 40k then I think Ork will work best, but if you are focusing on a subset then some of the other options might work better (the skink, kroxigor + big dino Fantasy/AoS list style fit with Nids gaunts/warriors/big thing).

In the end the most important thing will be what will be what for you fits the spirit of the lizardmen and will be fun for you to convert and play.

I’m not going to do any converting for them, I had a similar project for beastmen count as orks I called them the moo’rani lol.

anyway my goal isn’t meant straight port over rules for direct counts as models, I guess it would be closer to making my own idea of sorts, just looking for good starting points, or good comparisons points.

I see, well good luck with that.

If it is more freeform then have a look how things feel if you just straight up take the AoS stats and transpose them to the 40k equivalent. I think Strength of weapons is the only one that will be a bit harder looking at 10 datasheet examples, and leadership/bravery might need a little experimenting but the rest I can going fairly well in a straight transcribe.  

Here's what i'm thinking so far

lizard warrior- M6" WS4+ BS6+ S4 T5 W2 A3 LD9 SV4+
Barbed Club S+1 AP-1 D2
Relic Shield +1 to Sv roll

Krok- M5" WS4+ BS6+ S5 T6 W3 A3 LD9 SV3+
Maul-Ax S+3 AP-2 D3
Krok Pick- S+1 AP-3 D2

Belcher(spawn of choteck) M5" WS5+ BS4+ S3 T4 W3 A2 LD7 SV5+

Acid Glob hvy2 36" indirect fire S6 AP-2 D D3+1
Skink Handler M6" WS5+ BS6+ 
Skink Prod S user AP0 D1