Pilgrims of Fire- Review

Just finished the newest book by @JustinDHill, have to say it was excellent. Highly recommend reading regardless of whether you are a Sisters of Battle fan.

I don't know that it really breaks new ground, but it does the grimdark exceptionally well. I mean it is real grim and real dark. As I write this though, the description of the Salvar Chem Dogs is new and makes me wish he would write other novels on various Guard regiments.

There is a discussion of corruption, SoB vs Astartes, that is interesting and I wouldn't mind reading more about it. 

If I had to give a critique its that I had the feeling that the novel was much longer and was ruthlessly cut down. Not sure if thats true or not. Maybe Justin is just meant to be a codex writer some day and is good at writing quick summaries of events that suggest more.

Anyway, you should get this book if you like 40k novels. 

• 3 weeks later...

I was actually just thinking the other day about it may be my favorite depiction of Imperium Nihilus. Hill really nails the feeling of heading into literal hell when you cross the Cicatrix Maledictum. I am not sure any other author has come close to him.

The Sororitas are a really good army to explore that new place also, because unlike Astartes who just charge at things and kill things with muscles, the sisters rely on something that is much harder to access in the darkness of that hellscape. The whole faith thing is just done extremely well.

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished this. I wasnt massively blown away. I've read a few of his Cadian books which didnt leave an impression on me, but based on this  and his horror novel I'm not a huge fan. Thats a shame as I've interacted with him online and he seems a nice guy- I dont want to be a hater. His books are a little too grim for my taste. He seems quite fond of body horror and dwells too much on injuries and pus. A Dan Abnett novel might have characters walk around a civilian world and it would mention 40k versions of pubs or theatres etc giving the place the real feel of somewhere people live. In Hill's you'd expect them to walk past the baby-crushing factory oir something. I like grim dark but prefer it in the form of a downer twist or dark satire. This is too much for me.