Space Marines Index is Up

Valerian

Here you go for the Space Marine Index.

The Space Wolves specific Index should be posted on Monday, but there are a lot of units in this one that we share with "regular" Space Marines.  This also has the full details of the Gladius Task Force with the Enhancements and Stratagems.

Edited by Valerian

Interesting points:

Characters:

• Primaris Characters cannot attach to Firstborn units, and vice versa, with just a few exceptions (the Chaplain on Bike can attach to either a Bike Squad or an Outrider Squad).
  • The Primaris Captain cannot be attached to a Bladeguard Veteran Squad unless he is equipped with a Relic Shield.  Not sure why this limitation.  Probably will prevent Space Wolves Wolf Lords from joining them if they don't have a shield, too.  Weird for my plans with Ragnar Blackmane.
  • All Primaris Captains have Rites of Battle, but their second Ability is different, depending on which type of armor is worn (Tacticus, Gravis, Phobos, Terminator).  Also a different abilities for "Firstborn" Captains with a Jump Pack or on a Bike.
  • All Lieutenants have Tactical Precision, but their second Ability is different, depending on which type of armor is worn, too.
  • Primaris Lieutenants, unlike the Primaris Captain, can attach to Bladeguard Veterans without needing to equip a Storm Shield.
  • Ancients (and Apothecaries, which we won't have access to) can join the same unit that a Captain, Chapter Master, or Lieutenant has attached to.  The Astartes Banner adds 1 to the Objective Control of all models in the unit, which is probably going to be very handy in 10th edition.
  • The Bladeguard Ancient is even better.  Can only attach to Bladeguard Veterans.  Has the same Astartes Banner, but has a once per battle ability that adds 1 to the Attacks characteristic of all melee weapons of models in the unit (including another attached Leader).  His only real issue is that he's just equipped with a close combat weapon and cannot upgrade.
  • All Librarians have Psychic Hood (and Smite), but their second Ability is different, depending on which type of armor is worn.
  • Primaris Librarians cannot attach to Bladeguard Veterans (despite having the same Armor).
  • All Chaplains have Litany of Hate, but their second Ability is different, depending on which type of armor is worn.
  • Primaris and Firstborn Techmarines get the same 3 Abilities.  The Primaris version has an extra Wound and a much better Forge bolter.
  • Primaris Company Champion is sweet.  Don't know if Space Wolves will get an equivalent, but he is a Character-killer, and would really help us complete that Warrior Born Saga in our Claws of Russ detachment.  His Master-crafted power weapon is [Precision] and he can re-roll all Hit rolls and Wound rolls for attacks targeting a Character unit.  Also, he adds +1 to all Advance and Charge rolls, and you can always target his unit with the Heroic Intervention Stratagem for 0CP, even if you've already used it on a different unit this phase.  I want one of these guys!  He can attach to Bladeguard Veterans and Assault Intercessors (among others).
  • Judiciar's Tempermortis Ability is very powerful, as it grants Fights First to his unit.  His very impressive Executioner relic blade is also a Devastating Wounds and Precision weapon, and its Attacks grow as he kills Characters.  If we don't get the Primaris Company Champion, this guy will be a good alternative Character-killer to try and get that Saga completed.
  • The new Lieutenant with Combi-Weapon from the Leviathan box is the only character with Lone Operative (other than Techmarines within 3" of a vehicle).

Squads:

• Assault Intercessors have a very nice Shock Assault Ability; they are going to be great at taking Objectives away from enemy units.
  • Likewise Heavy Intercessors have a very nice Unyielding in the Face of the Foe Ability; they are going to be great at holding Objectives.
  • Infiltrator Squad gets Infiltrate Ability, and the Omni-Scrambler prevents enemy Reinforcements from being set up within 12".
  • Incursor Squad gets Scouts 6" Ability, and the Multi-Spectrum Array works like Marker Lights.
  • Bladeguard Veterans have a selectable Ability you pick from at each Fight phase: either re-roll all Hit rolls of 1, or re-roll all Saving throws of 1.
  • Reiver Squads finally look worthwhile (depending on points, of course).  They come with Scouts 6" and can upgrade to get Deep Strike.  Both of their Abilities interact with Battleshock, as one would expect.  All of their weapons have Precision (except the close combat weapon that nobody would take).
  • Aggressors seem kinda meh.  All of their weapons are Twin-linked, though, which is nice, and they get +1 to Armor Penetration for their ranged attacks if they target the closest eligible target.
  • Eliminators get Infiltrators and Stealth.  Their Bolt Sniper rifles are Heavy and Precision, as expected, and If they Remain Stationary their ranged weapons get Devastating Wounds.
  • Eradicators thankfully still look decent.  With their Total Obliteration Ability, they can re-roll all Hit, Wound, and Damage rolls against Monsters and Vehicles.  Their weapons are Heavy, too, so very unlikely to miss if they can stand still.
  • No cool special Ability for Outriders (just 6" Advances), so hopefully points are super cheap.  They don't do anything 'special' unlike all of the other Squad options.
  • Suppressors have a neat Suppression Fire Ability, that causes the target unit of their ranged attacks to have to subtract 1 from their Hit rolls until the start of your next turn.
  • Inceptors can Deep Strike 3" away from enemy units, but cannot declare a charge.  Not sure how valuable that would ever be.
  • The Desolation Squad has a very nice Targeter Optics Ability.  If they Remain Stationary their ranged weapons Ignore Cover and ignore the Hit penalty for Indirect Fire weapons.  Both their Castellan launcher and Vengor launcher are Indirect Fire, so you can hide these guys and still do decent damage against Infantry targets.  Unfortunately, their Superkrak rocket launcher is not Indirect Fire, so they won't be able to hide and pull anti-Vehicle duty, which is sorely needed.

Vehicles:

• The Invader ATV can be a part of an Outrider Squad (or can be separate). 
  • Invictor Tactical Warsuit gets an 8" Scouts move and has an interesting Combat Support Ability, which allows it to counter-fire in the opponent's Shooting phase once per turn, if nearby friendly Phobos units are targeted.
  • The old standard Dreadnoughts are still in, and they maintain the old Wisdom of the Ancients aura.
  • Redemptor Dreadnoughts kept the old Duty Eternal damage reduction, too, which is unexpected (for me) and a very nice surprise.
  • The Storm Speeders all have a pretty cool Ability (Hailstrike, Thunderstrike, and Hammerstrike).  Each impacts targeted enemy units in a different way, making them more vulnerable to attacks from the rest of your army (higher AP, higher Wound roll, or no Benefit of Cover).
  • Firestrike Servo-Turrets are really good at using the Overwatch stratagem (4+ to hit instead of 6+).
  • All three Gladiator variants have pretty interesting Abilities, but especially the Lancer (re-roll a single Hit, Wound and Damage roll).
  • Impulsor has the Assault Vehicle Ability.  Units can disembark from it even after it has Advanced, but they count as having already moved, and cannot declare a charge this turn.  Also, you can get wargear upgrades to either get a Shield Dome for a 5+ Invulnerable Save, or an Orbital Comms Array that gives you a chance to gain 1CP on a roll of 5+ if friendly units within 6" use a Stratagem. Still limited to only Primaris (Tacticus or Phobos models) only.
  • Drop Pods still can arrive in the 1st turn, and can now transport Primaris units (since there is no keyword for that anymore, and no restriction), but still cannot transport Jump Pack, Wulfen, Gravis, Centurion, or Terminator models.
  • Stormraven Gunship did not get the Assault Ramp back, but does subtract 1 from the Damage of all attacks against it.
  •  
Edited by Valerian

I’ve only read as far as the terminator squad so far. But I do think Ragnar could have something in his data sheet that would allow him to join blade guard vets. If other naked characters can join them, then he probably would too. I haven’t got to the named character section to know. 

56 minutes ago, Wolf Guard Dan said:

I’ve only read as far as the terminator squad so far. But I do think Ragnar could have something in his data sheet that would allow him to join blade guard vets. If other naked characters can join them, then he probably would too. I haven’t got to the named character section to know. 

Yeah, it's pretty odd.  Marneus Calgar can join Bladeguard Vets, but Tigurius, Uriel Ventris, Cassius, and Cato Sicarius cannot.  I could see the latter two, but Tigurius and Ventris have crossed the Rubicon.

Edited by Valerian

Best units for me so far.

1. Redemptor Dread with double onslaught gatling 

2. Sternguard vets with bolters and primaris captain with bolter discipline attached to keep them in tactical doctrine doctrine for 5+ extra hits combined with devastating wounds maybe in a drop pod (9 vets + captain)

3. Intercessors can start on base objectives then move forward without loosing them

5. Eradicators are still good with all the rerolls against vehicles and monsters

6. Terminators 

Really looking forward for the spacewolf specific units on monday and ofcourse the points 

Edited by lonewolf81

Yeah, I like Sternguard Vets, too, but not sure if they'll give us access to those.  I'm honestly pretty pleased with all of the units that I have in my latest army, except the Outriders and now also the Primaris Chaplain on Bike (because he can only join Bike units).  

Eliminators got damage boosts to their guns and are legit sniper threats now (D3)

Land speeders all got good abilities added

My fav combo is LS and vindicator for BS2 ignore cover on the vindicators massive gun

Inceptor 3" DS is a must take...auto steal objectives including the enemy DZ if they leave it undermanned (10th doesnt let you zone out objectives by standing on them)

Units that I'm really liking so far:

Primaris Captain (not the other versions)

Primaris Lieutenant 

Lieutenant in Phobos Armor

Primaris Librarian (looking really good with Bolter Discipline Enhancement attached to a Desolation Squad; only this unit and the Apothecary can join Desolators)

Librarian in Phobos Armor (Shrouding is very strong, if you have/use other Phobos units)

Primaris Chaplain (Litany of Hate, very good; Spiritual Leader, also decent)  Also 5+ Leadership, which is better than any of the other Characters.

Chaplain in Terminator Armor (same Litany of Hate, but his Recitation of Faith is very good; ignoring Mortal Wounds on Terminators is awesome).  5+ Leadership.

Chaplain on Bike (Litany of Hate, Catechism of Fire with Devastating Wounds will be nasty with Outriders with Twin-Linked Bolt Rifles), 5+ Leadership.

Primaris Company Champion is a Character-killer in melee.  Very nice for us if you're playing for Sagas (if we can take him).  Good with Assault Intercessors.  

Techmarines aren't bad, depending on points.

Judiciar as we know Fights First is an insanely good ability.  He goes in with your Bladeguard, I reckon.  And we know we can take one of these.  He's super good now.  

Of course, it remains to be seen how different our Wolf Lords, Battle Leaders, Rune Priests, Wolf Priests, and Iron Priests are from these Captains, Lieutenants, Librarians, Chaplains, and Techmarines, but I imagine they'll be the same datasheets, with just a few tweaks.

Intercessors bolt rifles are much stronger, and they get sticky Objectives.  Don't need a Character attached.

Assault Intercessors excellent at taking Objectives away from the enemy.

Heavy Intercessors very nice at holding Objectives.  Very hard to kill.

Infiltrators are still great at shutting down Reinforcement shenanigans.  They don't do good damage, but keep the opponents Reserves at arm's length.

Bladeguard Veterans are still great, although they don't have the 2+ Armor save any more.  The re-roll to Hit of 1 or the re-roll a Saving throw of 1 is very helpful.

Sternguard Veterans are looking very scary, another fantastic target for a Bolter Discipline enhancement Leader.  Not sure if we'll be able to take them, though.  I sure hope we can, and just call them a version of Wolf Guard.  These guys are really, really, tasty looking.  Sternguard with Bolter Discipline targeting the Oath of Moment victim average 19 Mortal Wounds.  Assuming that kills the target, they then get to Shoot Again.

Desolators are amazing, too, and another fantastic target for Bolter Discipline.  

Edited by Valerian

Sternguards and one hero in droppod sounds like prime Kasrkin, deliver easily 15+ MW in one combo. Cost ~400pts though.

And, GW want to sell and must sell Leviathan box. The units in it may be intendedly set slightly overpowered. When formal codex arrived things may become different.

Edited by Tokugawa

8 hours ago, Valerian said:

Desolators are amazing, too, and another fantastic target for Bolter Discipline.  

Ive noticed that only the Prime Lib. & the grav apoth. are the only characters that can lead them. Neither feels like a synergistic addition for the squad / enhancement.

5 hours ago, ChronoCub said:

Ive noticed that only the Prime Lib. & the grav apoth. are the only characters that can lead them. Neither feels like a synergistic addition for the squad / enhancement.

I actually like that the librarian can lead them its like back in the day when Rune Priest, leading Missile long Fangs ruled the day lol.

8 hours ago, ChronoCub said:

Lethal hits on the Lieutenant doesn’t feel synergistic?  Give him Bolter Discipline and that unit has a stupid amount of damage potential. 

9 hours ago, ChronoCub said:

Desolation squad can only have 

Primaris lib

Primaris apoth

Ancient/standard bearer

They can't have the gravis apoth

9 hours ago, ChronoCub said:

As Triszin pointed out, it's the regular Primaris Apothecary, not the new Apothecary Biologis in Gravis Armor.  

As far as synergy goes, that Primaris Librarian would give the whole Desolation Squad a 4+ Invulnerable save (as well as Feel No Pain 4+ against Psychic attacks).  That Invulnerable save is pretty good synergy for keeping the unit alive, in my opinion.  But really, bringing Bolter Discipline for Sustained Hits 1 (Exploding 6s), with the option of using the Adaptive Strategy stratagem (now Exploding 5s and 6s), and the option of really going nuts with the Storm of Fire stratagem (increase Armor Penetration of all weapons by 1) is why you want that Librarian Leading your Desolation Squad.

That's of course, if we cannot take Sternguard Veterans.  If they're on the table, then I'd probably give Bolter Discipline to a Primaris Captain and let him Lead a unit of Sternguard, so he can give the unit Exploding 5s and 6s for free every turn.  With all of the Mortal Wounds being thrown out by that unit, you don't even need to use Storm of Fire on them, so you can use your CP for something else.

6 hours ago, Rune Priest Jbickb said:

I actually like that the librarian can lead them its like back in the day when Rune Priest, leading Missile long Fangs ruled the day lol.

good old chooser of the slain days...nobody snuck up on SW

15 hours ago, Dark Shepherd said:

Combo potential

10 man Intercessor or Assault Intercessor squad with Primaris Ancient and a Captain/Lt equivalent

Activate Saga of Majesty

OC value of 46

Ahh the old

(Dog refusing to let go of the toy)

XD