Spicy Combos for Ultramarines

Captain Idaho

What stuff have people spotted in the new rules that they want to use for their Ultramarines?

I'm pretty solidly aiming for 10 Assault Marines led by a Chaplain all with jump packs... Mortal Wounds generation when you charge!

I also want to utilise land speeder Tornadoes with Assault Cannons and Heavy Bolters, fly over units to cause Mortal Wounds then shoot them for more.

An Infiltrator Squad with an attached Phobos Librarian with proper placement can’t be targeted until turn 3.

It is hard for me to not think of a list that doesn’t include 3x 5-man Sniper Scout Squads.  They can’t be targeted outside of 12”, and pose a threat to any leader.  

Captain in Gravis Armour with Relic Weapon (undeciced) with Honour Vehement, Apothecary Biologis

-with Bolter Discipline attached to 6-man Eradicators with 2x Multi-meltas.   Storm of Fire, and Adaptive Strategy 

-6x  Agressors, Honour the Chapter and Adaptive Strategy.

A Note Honour Vehement affects ALL Close Combat Weapons, so his Extra Attack Relic Weapons ALSO benefit.  Double Powerfists make 10x Str 10 AP -3 D2 +1 to wound Attacks, Honur The Chapter with Assault Doctrine.

Jump Chaplin with assault marines.
Jump Libby with Vanguard

Sicarius, Lieutenant/Ancient with sternguard, HB and Rifle to be a highly mobile infantry unit. 
The above might be played in hover stormraven with a brutalis being carried if points allow it.

Core brick with guilliman, screened by hellblaster apothicary.
Desolation with character support for bolter disapline.

Gravis captain + aggressors 

Calgar BGV bomb

lots to pick from really.

I'm liking the Calgar BGV bomb with a Brutalis in a Raven.   I also like Uriel deep striking the blob.

Telion with a 10 Man Scout Sniper Squad - Lethal/Sustained Hits is somewhat obvious but a Precision Krak Missile also has some appeal and may turn into a "surprise".

Guilliman does 0 CP Strat Rites of Battle including the Peat and Repeat portion within 12" for two free strats on one unit

Or:

Oath of Moment, Guilliman picks second OOM target, Incursor Unit one gives everyone +1 to hit, Rest of Army obliterates that unit.  Incursor Unit 2 hits the second "OOM" target giving everyone +1 to hit it and the rest of everyone else can obliterate that unit. 

I think Chronus in a Predator Destructor is a "sleeper" unit.

At 24" he is BS2+, with 6x S9 AP-2 Dmg3 shots and 6 x S5 AP-2 Dmg2 shots a turn against Infantry. Add in the "Storm of Fire" strat and now you are AP-3 and Ignore Cover against Infantry. 

Throw in an AP-2 storm bolter and a Hunter-Killer missile just for kicks and Chronus' free reroll to wound and you should be able to just mulch all kinds of infantry ( I especially like the idea of dropping Crises Suits with 3 Dmg Autocannon shots).

Edited by L30n1d4s

Totally agree! Chronus in a Destructor is definitely going under the radar. 

I even think he'd slap vehicles at a push too. Not as reliable, but a rerollable 5+ is good for 6 shots that are damage 3.

Here's one for people already leaning towards Uriel Ventris to Deep Strike a Calgar Bomb.

Ventris does not have Rites of War.  He has something similar but with a different name and slightly different rules - has a different duplicate Strats (not for free) so you can theoretically use the same strat three times.  Once naturally, once on one of all the captains that share Rites of War (which can only be used once per), and once with Uriel Ventris in addition Ventris is not limited to once per Battle Round. 

This should all synergize pretty well with Calgar giving a bonus CP

Reivers with Grapnel Launchers and Grav-chutes, attach a Phobos Lt.  Deep Strive the Squad, Phobos Lt shoots, squad moves forward d6”.  Squad gets effective 3d6” charge.  Grapnel Launchers allows the whole squad to ignore height, sure the Lt gets to be carried like Princess Leia in A New Hope, but you know….

Not really a UM specfic - but Libby with Jump Pack (Might of Heroes:  additional -1AP to melee weapons in the unit), Honor Vehement for exta attacks and S on the Libby Force Weapon,  and a 10 man Assault Squad with Jump Packs for a ton of S4 -2 D1 chainsword attacks plus some gruesome S7 -3 D2 Eviscerator attacks.

I like the Libby (-1AP) better than the Captain (+1S) or the Chaplain (+1 to Wound) for a primarily Chainsword unit that can reroll Hits and Wounds from OOM potentially. 

Guilliman with a Phobos Libby attached to a bunch of Omni-scrambling Infiltrators.  You've got about a 16 inch circle of Area Denial, not just Deep strike but area denial.  The Infiltrators+Libby and Guilliman can't be shot inside 12", nothing can deepstrike inside 12" - they have to run up, and if they get close enough, you can charge them.  They need a really long threat radius to get inside there between their movement and charge range - and with Guilliman's free Repeat Strats you can either back off on their turn, and/or advance and charge on yours.   Plus, just for fun and games, you can use a freebie strat on the Infiltrators each turn (twice a battle round compared to a Captain) to earn you a bonus CP on a 5+. 

Telion giving a Sniper Scout squad Missile Launcher Precision - though it might be better to give them Sustained or Lethal Hits.

Cassius will do well in a Command or (non-Jump) Pack Assault Squad Devastating Wounds and Sustained Hits on A4 Chainswords could add up.  He doesn't mix well with Vanguard.

Sicarius doesn't innately synergize with anything - though an Assault or Command Squad (again) would benefit from his Scouts 6" rule, Lightning Assault, and Pistol ASSAULT weapons.

Tyranid War Vets are pretty much pre-arranged narrative games only - without a Tyrranid enemy they're 5 tactical marines with no upgrades.

Tiggy is just lost.   His Hood of Hellfire giving 4+ FNP vs Psychic and Mortals is perfect for Hellblasters - but he can't join them even though a regular Libby can.  His Master of Prescience is as ever it's -1 to hit goodness, but the freebie Strats are all somewhat dubious BRB choices that dont scream Marines.  Go to Ground to get the benefit of cover that may not benefit Marines, Counter Offensive - if you let Tiggy's unit get charged instead of doing the charging, Fire Overwatch to hit on 6's. and Heroic Intervention which could be nice - note he cannot double up so should go before the Repeaters.   None of his three Leader choices really jump out at you though.  I feel like if they give all solo (Not Attached/LEADING a squad) characters LONE OPERATIVE I'd take him solo though. 

Uriel Ventris has a lot going on:  He can repeat all day every day - instead of 1 Freebie Repeat all Strats aimed at his squad can be repeat but it is not free (because of Ventris - Guilliman can for free but why, and when would you need that very often) and even when battleshocked.  In addition one Infantry squad in your army - that doesn't have to be HIS Infantry Squad can Deep Strike.  Deep Striking Aggressors with Marneus Calgar, his two Victrix Guard and a Biologis?  Done.  Deep Striking Sticky Capping Intercessors that can Deep Strike behind your Death Star to sticky cap the objectives it clears?  Done. 

I used Sicarius this weekend with sternguard and a lieutenant with bolter discipline.
I had very disgruntled comments when they hid out of line of sight thanks to lighting assault.  Having Assault on sterngaurd heavy bolter and sternguard bolt pistols is hand for alot of situations

now the phobos libby omni scrambler combo i can get behind :D

Edited by jonjacob

2 hours ago, jonjacob said:

I used Sicarius this weekend with sternguard and a lieutenant with bolter discipline.
I had very disgruntled comments when they hid out of line of sight thanks to lighting assault.  Having Assault on sterngaurd heavy bolter and sternguard bolt pistols is hand for alot of situations

now the phobos libby omni scrambler combo i can get behind :D

I think you have to have Guilliman or Johnson in there for the Lone Operative Beat Stick though.  Anything not Lone Operative can get shot.  Anything that's not a Beat Stick doesn't need the bubble.