Mistakes were made....

Just finished building up my dreadknight... I made many mistakes, hopefully learned from some of them. In retrospect it was a terrible idea to start with the most complicated model, which seems so obvious now :biggrin:

I'm still waiting for some paints to arrive, I've watched numerous videos on painting and know what colours and washes etc... I'm want to use. But I wonder if anyone has any advice for me which might help me avoid making any obvious mistakes during this step.

I'm aiming to roughly follow the guide(s) by One Last Blade on YT (I prefer it to most of the other guides I've watched as it gives a darker grittier looking finish) , so:

Prime with Chaos Black spray

Heavy drybrush large armour panels with Leadbelcher

Apply Drakenhof Nightshade wash

Lightly drybrush large armour panels with Leadbelcher

Use Grey Knights Steel to apply highlights lightly

Fine detail edge highlight with Stormhost Silver

Layer on various colours on different parts  (Retributor gold, Balthasar Gold, Iron Warriors, Khorne Red, Gal Vorbak Red, Screaming Skull, Ulthuan Grey, Macragge Blue, Black Templar)

Shade with Agrax Earthshade on everything that isn't silver armour

Use microfine pens to do scroll work

Use pencil to highlight edges of machinery parts

I've got some bits and bobs (kiln dried sand, micro gravel, micro stones, bricks etc..) arriving to do the base, and some texture paint for that, so I guess glue the stuff on, put some texture paint on where needed, apply a couple of layers of subtle colours where needed, then drybrush and maybe highlight edges?

Then assuming I'm happy with the result, and perhaps after waiting for a while first in case I want to alter anything... Spray with varnish?

Maybe I should start with a simpler model...? :biggrin:

GKND.jpg

You are off to a great start. One last blade does have good tutorial and occasionally you will see him here posting. 

The hardest part when painting that model will be getting all the parts behind the terminator but it is doable. 

I usually base then prime the models that way I can paint everything and fix mistakes as needed. 

I need to spray varnish my models still.....just afraid it will frost

Edited by WAR

14 minutes ago, WAR said:

I usually base then prime the models that way I can paint everything and fix mistakes as needed. 

Aye I've made it harder for myself, kinda need to do it in two steps now and could have primed the model and base at the same time, I just primed it and I think it went ok, good coverage but not thick anywhere. Can't go any further until more paint arrives in the next couple of days. Time to make some terminators in the meantime

15 minutes ago, Cleon said:

Personally For me the key lesson was to paint it in sub assemblies.... so sorry a bit late on that.

Looks great, very arthuian! And yeah, I suspect it's going to be very painful to get into all the nooks and crannies without getting paint in areas that I don't want it on :P

GMNDK is almost complete, just the base to do (which I wish I had done first now...), and a small squad of terminators and a librarian are ready to prime! I promised myself that I would almost finish what I have (the combat patrol box), before ordering more.... Then I managed to convince myself I'd have that all finished by Tuesday and so ordered another combat patrol, Draigo, a Razorback, a stormtalon, and a strike squad to arrive for Tuesday.... There's no way I'll be remotely close to finished on Tuesday :laugh:

PXL_20230618_174228551.jpg