Chaos Knights Index

Lord Marshal

13 hours ago, MagicHat said:

Gheiststrikes no longer have limited ammunition. 

They've been turned from anti-invuln missiles to nasty anti-Titanic weapons and a backup weapon against vehicles. 

No more fall back and shoot is less of an issue with 10th's shooting rules. But no fall back and charge is a shame.

The rules again seem to encourage lots of war dogs to spread the 12" Despair aura as wide as possible, which is a shame as I play Knights for the big guys not the little ones!

Overall though, the data sheets all seem really good and usable. Including the Tyrant finally! I always used mine because the model's so cool, but it might actually be worth it's (still unknown) points now.

Point costs are now out as well: https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/oF1iWIkNsvlUHByM.pdf

In 9e for 2000 points I fielded 1x Abominant, 1x Ravager, 1x Despoiler with battlecannon, autocannon, carapace havoc launcher and heavy stubber, 2x executioner with stubbers and 2x Stalkers with havocs, with chaos marks on all the big knights.  That list now costs 1740 points - or 95-105 points more if I buy Enhancements for my big guys to replace their marks.  I suspect (but would need to have the old point costs in front of me to confirm) that the knights have gotten slightly more expensive but that is offset by all the weapons being boiled into the base Despoiler point cost.  That certainly makes a dual battlecannon despoiler attractive, though.

I am surprised at some of the point costs on the mini knights - I certainly wouldn't have pegged the Executioner as one of the cheapest and the Karnivore as the most expensive.

Finally, to me the Tyrant is still too expensive for what one gets.  I only have version with the volcano and big plasma gun, and think you would do better to get similar guns in different packages - the Despoiler's battle cannon is far superior to Tyrant's plasma, while the Desecrator's laser seems about par to the volcano cannon. I admit that for this comparison, the weapons split across the 2 smaller knights is far more expensive as you also have to pay for the knights carrying them, but my thinking is that you would be taking the knights anyway.  I suppose I will have to field it to see if it exceeds my expectations.

Its good to see that even with the beefing up of vehicles, their points have similar enough that we can all (probably) play our 9e lists without too many adjustments in 10e.

On 6/16/2023 at 5:35 PM, Dr_Ruminahui said:

Point costs are now out as well: https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/06/oF1iWIkNsvlUHByM.pdf

In 9e for 2000 points I fielded 1x Abominant, 1x Ravager, 1x Despoiler with battlecannon, autocannon, carapace havoc launcher and heavy stubber, 2x executioner with stubbers and 2x Stalkers with havocs, with chaos marks on all the big knights.  That list now costs 1740 points - or 95-105 points more if I buy Enhancements for my big guys to replace their marks.  I suspect (but would need to have the old point costs in front of me to confirm) that the knights have gotten slightly more expensive but that is offset by all the weapons being boiled into the base Despoiler point cost.  That certainly makes a dual battlecannon despoiler attractive, though.

I am surprised at some of the point costs on the mini knights - I certainly wouldn't have pegged the Executioner as one of the cheapest and the Karnivore as the most expensive.

Finally, to me the Tyrant is still too expensive for what one gets.  I only have version with the volcano and big plasma gun, and think you would do better to get similar guns in different packages - the Despoiler's battle cannon is far superior to Tyrant's plasma, while the Desecrator's laser seems about par to the volcano cannon. I admit that for this comparison, the weapons split across the 2 smaller knights is far more expensive as you also have to pay for the knights carrying them, but my thinking is that you would be taking the knights anyway.  I suppose I will have to field it to see if it exceeds my expectations.

Its good to see that even with the beefing up of vehicles, their points have similar enough that we can all (probably) play our 9e lists without too many adjustments in 10e.

My list basically now gets an extra wardog if I go light on enhancements. Which is nice. That's mostly from the Tyrant coming down in points. I was using that guy in 9th when he was fairly useless, so I'm hoping he'll have more of a purpose now. We'll see.

No idea why the Karnivore is the most expensive wardog. Used to use one alongside a Rampager, but I think I'll be swapping him for another option. Thank goodness for magnets.

For me, I have never fielded my Tyrant, so that wasn't where my savings were - though I am looking forward to, though its not great damage wize, hopefully its better save is worth the bump up from fielding a despoiler instead.  Still, a great target for the reduce AP enhancement.

I do think the Karnivore is quite a bit better - the reroll charges is huge, as are its extra attacks in melee - but I doubt that's enough to be worth its point cost over the other wardogs.  Usually, its better to have something effective to do outside of melee than to be extra choppy if you happen to get there.  That said, with the loss in granularity in points, I think the point difference is less important, as most lists will have some extra points floating around anyway - and whether that happens to be 20 or 25 points less doesn't really matter.