CSM in 10th - can we mix legions?

Ghune

That new Head Taker rule on Haarken Worldclaimer is amazing.  I don’t see anything on his data sheet limiting him to just Black Legion, though.  Crunch-wise, can I run Worldclaimer in my Word Bearers army?  It would feel extra heretical to paint him in WB colors, so I’d want to keep the Black and Gold scheme.

Are CSM armies allowed to mix legions in 10th?

Yay, screw the lore. My EC's are going to have Tzeench and Nurgle marks...

But on a serious note, all the named characters are in the same boat which seems like a sales tactic but might be fun with the idea of the different war bands fighting together 

3 hours ago, Tokugawa said:

Are CSM having distinction between legions in 10th?

Not at the mechanical level. I'd expect the codex to have suitable-for-this-Legion alternative detachments but for now all Legions run the same rules (WE, TS and DG aside since they have their own indices).

12 hours ago, MDops said:

Yay, screw the lore. My EC's are going to have Tzeench and Nurgle marks...

But on a serious note, all the named characters are in the same boat which seems like a sales tactic but might be fun with the idea of the different war bands fighting together 

Yeah if anything not having a limitation to a single legion seems more fluffy, as the lore indicates that generally Chaos forces fight as a bunch of warbands fighting under a single fragile banner

I often see the game as a fraction of the real battle field, and in that is the case I don't see any problem with my Iron Warriors fighting side by side with Emperor's Children and Word bearer as an example., I keep away from some constellations that might seem unfluffy, like Rubrics and Plague marines side by side, and I very rarely bring Zerkers if I have a Sorcerer.

Cpt. Danjou

As disappointed as I am by this, I admit it will be cool to mix. The lack of Legions is a bit of a surprise, but I have to believe they are saving this for codex releases.

Also of note, depending on the points we can include stuff from other chaos books... daemons, Berzerkers, etc. (But the marks are not flexible in this case.)

i expect legions will be back w/ the codex.  they're our subfactions, & there were preview articles specifically talking about how subfactions would work - specifically that they would replace rather than stack on top of the existing faction rules & detachments.

so i wouldn't get too comfortable running Harkon in EC lists or Abaddon & Huron together.  those kinds of things have been possible in the past, but typically go back to being either outright disallowed or at least dramatically sub-optimal whenever proper legion rules get re-introduced.

4 hours ago, Sception said:

i expect legions will be back w/ the codex.  they're our subfactions, & there were preview articles specifically talking about how subfactions would work - specifically that they would replace rather than stack on top of the existing faction rules & detachments.

so i wouldn't get too comfortable running Harkon in EC lists or Abaddon & Huron together.  those kinds of things have been possible in the past, but typically go back to being either outright disallowed or at least dramatically sub-optimal whenever proper legion rules get re-introduced.

While I agree that you shouldn't expect to be able to run Epic Characters from different legions together once the full Codex is out (for some reason none of the named characters in the CSM Index have their Legion as a subfaction, while the loyalist Marines do), I don't think the intention with detachments is to Legion/Chapter lock them. IIRC the detachment system was specifically described as disconnecting the heraldry of your paint job from having relevance on the rules you are "supposed" to use (maybe only enforced in official GW tournaments?). As in, just because you are an Emperor's Children warband doesn't mean your specific army focuses on Noise Marines for example, maybe your warlord has accumulated a lot of Raptors or Warp Talons so you can choose to use the "Night Lords" detachment that focuses on those units. I don't think you will be able to run Lucius and Haarken together, but I do think you will be able to run the "Night Lords detachment" using Haarken as a proxy (thus gaining the Black Legion keyword), but painted in Emperor's Children colors, and that will be completely legal.