So.... I might have to buy a Landraider

This may sound pretty crazy, but I no longer own a Landraider. I sold off most of my classic Marine units a few years ago.

I own two Spartans - one painted up for games of 30k. The model is simply incredible and I was going to paint the 2nd Spartan in the colours of the Imperial Fists for use in 40k, and still might do so.

I should start making plans for the Landraider, however, as it looks like a very fun unit to include in my 40k army due to the assault ramp rule.

I love the look of the Spartan, but I truly dislike the look of the Proteus - It looks like a squashed Spartan from the side and top on the images I can see on the GW website. 

Are those pictures misleading? Is the model really great in person or should I simply wait until the regular Landraider is back in stock. Alternatively I might try and get hold of an Excelsior kit and make a "Venerable" variant using the bits.

I am hoping we get a new Land Raider kit, I have had a few friends telling me the mould slip can be quite bad on some. 

However this is anecdotal, I have seen a few pics of bad mould lines but for the broader scope no clue.

But my Ultramarines 1st Company has a rule... Not got Terminator Armour? No Entry :).

But it does mean my Sternguard and Vanguard will look as good as my Blade Guard in lovely 4th Company colours :).

But yeah I think I will need a Land Raider or 3 :)

34 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

That is the main reservation I have - the model is REALLY old at this point.

The last 40k Landraider I assembled was around 8 years ago, and it had problems even then - I had to file a lot of the interior away.

Oh 100% with you man.

I to my eternal shame have never built or even painted one so I do want to sort that. Doing Calgars Land Raider is on my list.

I hadn't noticed mold slip on the last one I built.  I got an Excelsior secondhand and while it did have some uncleared mold lines I didn't see any smudged detail or mismatched halves of components from mold slip.

This Excelsior will be the fourth time I paint a Land Raider...

I am going to be repainting an old redeemer and building a new Proteus into OG Dark Angel colors for my heavy mech list. This is in addition to my Spartan and rhinos. I believe the new Infernus Marines can ride in a raider if I am not mistaken.

11 hours ago, Orange Knight said:

That is the main reservation I have - the model is REALLY old at this point.

Memento mori, grey plastic edition. :tongue: Are there any decent 3rd party models / proxies for a LR? I've found lots of 3P infantry parts and models, but vehicles all seem to be AM.

• 2 months later...

Commenting on something 2 month old from the 3rd page isn't threadomancy right?

Anyway, I just bought a Proteus, possibly the nicest kit I've ever put together - No gaps at all, unlike a certain Repulsor Executioner I built recently...

Edited by KJB

On 6/14/2023 at 3:33 PM, Chaplain Mollusc said:

Memento mori, grey plastic edition. :tongue: Are there any decent 3rd party models / proxies for a LR? I've found lots of 3P infantry parts and models, but vehicles all seem to be AM.

There's a Lost In Space themed Repulsor you could probably finagle into a Land Raider. 

My initial experiences are that Land Raiders are pretty good in 10th. They have decent durability and are definitely the best way to deliver melee units. Access to Smoke and Armour of Contempt can make them pretty hard to remove before they deliver their cargo. Also the regular version provide 4 S12 lascannon shots which is decent anti-tank capability allowing the LR to finally fulfil its fluff as providing both armoured transport and good firepower at the same time.

The LRC does not provide quite the same punch but the 16 Transport slots is really nice for Terminators and Aggressors with supporting Characters. I am currently building 6 Aggressors led by an Apothecary Biologis and Gravis Captain. Pricey but they certainly pack a punch.

I can definitely attest to the punch of a 6-man Aggressor unit with an attached Apothecary Biologis and Captain in Gravis Armor.  last game they wiped Typhus and 20-man pox walkers...big deal, and Mortarion in a single round of shooting each.  Yeah, the delivery vehicle really helped with their ability to move where they were needed.

The Land Raider is such an iconic tank. The kit is a bit of a sod to put together but it looks so good when it's done well. I wouldn't mind a new kit if only because the molding is from 1998 IIRC and is REALLY showing its age, but I wouldn't want them to mess with the design if they did revamp it.

I love Land Raiders but have barely used one the past two editions. But now in 10th my Land Raider filled with Bladeguard is the spearhead of my current Ultramarines force and I love it to bits. There is no foe it can't face down and either kill, or soak up fire from to give everything else a chance. 

I'm also still considering an insane army idea, the core of which is three ten man infernus squads riding in three Land Raider Redeemers. It would be ridiculous and probably lose a lot, but think of all those glorious flamers....

21 hours ago, CCE1981 said:

Swap out the Infernus with Eradicators and the Eradicators can kill the big stuff while the Redeemers burninate the juicy stuff inside.

Sir, you underestimate my latent pyromania.

Besides 30 infernus marines and 3 redemeers does leave points for other things. A couple of HQs and some additional fire support. I feel dreadnoughts might be a good choice for this list. Regardless I'm going to wait for the codex to refine the list further.

Beyond mad plans, I do feel a Land Raider of any variety is a solid choice for any marine list. I've got a Crusader for my Black Templars that hasn't seen the table for a bit so I'm looking forward to painting up a full unit of sword brethern to join Helbrecht in it.

Edited by Casual Heresy

2 hours ago, Casual Heresy said:

Sir, you underestimate my latent pyromania.

Besides 30 infernus marines and 3 redemeers does leave points for other things. A couple of HQs and some additional fire support. I feel dreadnoughts might be a good choice for this list. Regardless I'm going to wait for the codex to refine the list further.

Beyond mad plans, I do feel a Land Raider of any variety is a solid choice for any marine list. I've got a Crusader for my Black Templars that hasn't seen the table for a bit so I'm looking forward to painting up a full unit of sword brethern to join Helbrecht in it.

I was thinking of something similar with 2 Redeemers, one with Infernus and one with Aggressors. Then 2 more Infernus in drop pods. 

I find Land Raiders to be more viable and fun to field than they've been since pre-8th, potentially even since I started with 40k in third Ed. 

Every time I sit down and start writing a list for my Salamanders I need to supress the urge to put in a Land Raider of some kind with yet-unknown cargo in my list. 

Land Raiders are just so solid on their own, while also being an amazing force-multiplier to whatever they're carrying; We have so many infantry-units at our disposal that really benefits from riding to war in a LR that we are essentially spoilt for choice. 

Edited by Minsc