Helbrutes: The New Standard in Spam?

So after our faction focus, I figured we'd have some sort of ability to get both effects of Dark Pacts on a unit but I figured it would either be a bespoke ability on an elite unit like Chosen or Terminators, or else a stratagem with all the restrictions that come with that.

But no!  The humble Helbrute has a 6" aura and every unit within that aura (which includes itself, mind you) benefits from both effects of Dark Pacts.  I have three Helbrutes currently painted and ready for the table and a fourth that was recently stripped and will be getting some color once the Call to Arms event starts so -- you know, points-dependent -- I can fill up my maximum of Helbrutes with a wide selection of weapons depending on what my list at that time needs.

How about everyone else?  Is anyone else going to lean into 'Brutes to spread some of that Dark Pact love around?

It's definitely made me more likely to pick up the combat patrol. Mark of Nurgle dakka Havocs look like fun. Add in the Helbrute and it could be pretty dangerous. 

I'm looking at the wording of the marks and it seems like they will pair really well with the Helbrute's buff. The crit on 5+ should apply for both effects (sustained hits AND lethal hits), once it is activated by gaining the corresponding special rule (sustained hits OR lethal hits). For a second I was worried Khorne/Tzeentch would only buff lethal hits and Nurgle/Slaanesh would only buff sustained hits, but the dark gods are generous with their blessings :wink:

I couldn't believe it when I saw it personally. 

After years of the unit being barely playable I brought it out in 9th. I'd play it as a one off, coming in off the flank shooting, and then using the strat to get shots back at the opponent.

This is MUCH better. 

Depending on points I'm looking at the Twin Las now. MM isn't bad either still, but the Iron Warrior in me might go for Las/Missile and have him parked around Oblits/LR/Havocs for a somewhat hard hitting shooting core.

2 hours ago, Magpie Knight said:

It's definitely made me more likely to pick up the combat patrol. Mark of Nurgle dakka Havocs look like fun. Add in the Helbrute and it could be pretty dangerous. 

I'm looking at the wording of the marks and it seems like they will pair really well with the Helbrute's buff. The crit on 5+ should apply for both effects (sustained hits AND lethal hits), once it is activated by gaining the corresponding special rule (sustained hits OR lethal hits). For a second I was worried Khorne/Tzeentch would only buff lethal hits and Nurgle/Slaanesh would only buff sustained hits, but the dark gods are generous with their blessings :wink:

The 5+ critical hit won't trigger for both effects.  For example, you have a Nurgle Havoc unit benefiting from the Brute's aura.  They'll get Sustained Hits on 5+ (from Pacts with Nurgle) and Lethal Hits on 6s (from just Pacts).

8 minutes ago, Iron Father Ferrum said:

The 5+ critical hit won't trigger for both effects.  For example, you have a Nurgle Havoc unit benefiting from the Brute's aura.  They'll get Sustained Hits on 5+ (from Pacts with Nurgle) and Lethal Hits on 6s (from just Pacts).

Respectfully, I believe you're wrong on that;

1. You select an option that gives Crit 5+
  2. Both abilities trigger on a Critical Hit
  3. Nothing says Crit 5+ only applies to one option

Ergo, Helbrutes make nearby units quite nasty.

Edited by Kaiju Soze
Clarity

27 minutes ago, Kaiju Soze said:

Respectfully, I believe you're wrong on that;

1. You select an option that gives Crit 5+
  2. Both abilities trigger on a Critical Hit
  3. Nothing says Crit 5+ only applies to one option

Ergo, Helbrutes make nearby units quite nasty.

This is my interpretation as well.

• You pick one USR to gain through Dark Pacts.
  • Helbrute allows you to gain both USRs.
  • Each USR triggers off of a critical hit.
  • Marks change the threshold for critical hits to 5+ so long as you gained the relevant USR through Dark Pacts.

I can see it being FAQ'd and possibly removed when the codex comes out, but for now that's how I would interpret it.

Huh. That's a weird interaction! I wonder how long it lasts :laugh:

Helbrutes are fantastic for most units, I think Possessed and Forgefiends (when "Overcharging") are the two units you don't want to have the 'Brutes hanging around as you really want to roll your wounds out when you've got Devastating Wounds.

I'm very glad they've given the Helbrutes more of reason to be used, outside of being rad, the Multi Melta is pretty handy as is the Plasma Cannon for the 'brutes that want to push up