Who Wants to Help Me Brainstorm

Valerian

Looking to the hivemind to assist with brainstorming ideas for 10e.  Trying to figure out the best combinations for attaching Characters, for the most part.

Definitely plan on using the Gladius Strike Force detachment

My list of units:

Characters:

• Ragnar Blackmane 105 (his unit can Advance and Charge)
  • Haldor Icepelt (he could proxy a lot of different units, including Primaris Lieutenant, Primaris Captain, or even a Judiciar)
    • As Primaris Lieutenant 75 (his unit gets <Lethal Hits> on all attacks, and can shoot and declare a charge after it Fell Back)
    • As Primaris Captain 80 (can use a Stratagem for free every round, and once per battle gets 9 Attacks in melee with <Devastating Wounds>)
    • As Judiciar 75 (gives his unit Fights First, and adds 1 to his melee Attacks for every enemy Character destroyed by this model)
      • The Honour Vehement 15 looks pretty good on a Judiciar, bringing his melee weapon to 6 Attacks at Strength 8, which is a good crossover point for wouding most Marines.
  • Primaris Librarian 70 (his unit has a 4+ Invulnerable save, and 4+ FNP versus Psychic attacks)
  • Chaplain on Bike 80 (his unit adds 1 to the Wound roll for melee attacks, and gets <Devastating Wounds> on their ranged attacks against a unit within 12")

Squads:

• 20 Intercessors 95 per 5 (Sticky Objectives)
    • I'm thinking of letting half, or all, of these proxy as Sternguard Veterans
    • Any reason to keep these as regular Intercessors?
  • 10 Assault Intercessors 90 per 5 (unit gets to reroll Wound rolls of 1, or all Wound rolls in range of an Objective) 
    • Which Character makes the most sense with these?
  • 5 Heavy Intercessors 110 per 5 (add 1 to Saving throws agains D1 attacks when in range of an Objective)
    • Don't have a valid Character to attach. 
    • Would it be worth finding a Gravis Captain or Apothecary Biologis to add to support them, or better to leave on their own?
  • Bladeguard Veteran Squad 200 per 6 (either re-roll melee Hits of 1, or re-roll Saving throws of 1)
    • Which character would be best?  
  • Wulfen Squad 100 per 5
    • Can't see using them as Wulfen in 10e (at least not with the current Index)
    • Can use them to proxy a second Bladeguard Veteran Squad, though
  • Sternguard Veteran Squad 105 per 5 (Once per battle Shoot again if enemy unit was destroyed by this unit's shooting)
    • I don't have a true Sternguard squad, but can proxy with regular Intercessors, see above
    • 10 of these would go great with a Primaris Captain Icepelt with Bolter Discipline to get a free Adaptive Strategy (for Exploding 5s) each round.
    • Would the Primaris Librarian work here just as well, giving up the free Stratagem on this unit?
  • Aggressor Squad 110 per 3
    • Just 3 Aggressors with Boltstorm Gauntlets and Fragstorm grenade launchers
    • No valid Character to attach
    • Worth getting a Gravis Character for such a small unit?
  • Outrider Squad 115 per 3
    • Obviously, this is the only place for the Chaplain on Bike to go.
    • Currently just 3 Outriders; is it worth adding 3 more?
    • Worth adding an Invader ATV?
  • 2 Eliminator Squads 95 per 3
  • Eradicator Squad 95 per 3
    • Worth getting a Gravis Character for such a small unit?

Vehicles:

• 2 Redemptor Dreadnoughts 225
  • 3 Impulsors 95 
    • can only transport 6 Tacticus or Phobos Infantry models
    • Firing Deck 6; might be cheeky to put the Eliminators in these to shoot from.
  • 1 Land Raider 275
    • Best for either the Bladeguard Veterans plus attached Character?
  • 5 Drop Pods 70
    • Great for the Sternguard Veterans, right?
    • Might as well put Assault Intercessors in here, too?

-------------------------------

We don't know points yet, of course, but just curious if any of you had any thoughts about what might work best in which combinations.

Edited by Valerian
Added in points

Honour Vehement looks great on a Judicier, Captain in Gravis Armour, and Wolf Lords and Wolfguard Battle Leaders on Thunderwolf, ALL melee weapons benefit so any weapon that has [Extra Attacks] also benefits.  

Remember if you run them as Gladius Task Force you have access to Apothecaries.

Brutalis Dreadnoughts and Wulfen Dreadnoughts look incredible, both cause Mortal Wounds on the charge, one also gets to Tank shock for a bunch more Mortals.

A full Outrider Squad and ATV with attached Chaplain looks nice for a fast unit to through mortals around.

Assault Intercessors I like the idea of attaching a Librarian for 4++ to the entire unit.

Long Fangs can have 8 Heavy Weapons, 5 from the squad, a Wolfguard in Terminator Armor, and two servitors.  Servitors can attach themselves to a unit led by a Techmarine, Iron Priests have the Techmarine keyword.

Combo 1

Vindicator + LS 

LS grants +1 to hit and ignore cover to blast

Vindicator gun becomes BS2 ignore cover

This is the offensive firepower used to control mid field

Combo 2

Phobos librarian + Infiltrators

Shrouding and no 3" DS tricks means you can stand on an objective in the open relatively safe and those game breaking Dcannons cant touch you outside 12"

*2 of these per army make a ton of sense

Combo 3

Primaris Librarian with Bolter discipline + Desolators

Use Oath of Moment and fish for 5+ on castellan launchers. 

Each 5+ is a devastating wound

My thoughts on list inclusions are as follows:

Logan Grimnar on foot. Army wide reroll charges will be helpful to get stuck in and will be strong in assault doctrine. I may put him on the chariot but that will require me buying that first. A wolf guard battle leader in TDA may be added depending on precision shots popularity.

Ragnar is good. Just not as handy as Grimnar

Wolf Lord on Thunderwolf may be good. I’m down on TWC right now so he may not make it into my lists. 

Chaplain in Terminator Armor- I don’t have one of these but may convert one. My lists may be terminator heavy. 

Squads:

Terminators of all stripes. I don’t know if combi weapons or storm bolters are my preference. Probably the combi as they will be tasked to deal with heavy infantry

Infernus squad: these look fun with overwatch.

Assault squads: they have the edge over blood claws.

Infiltrators: may have good use depending on how prevalent deep strike is. 

Scout sniper squad: I like the sniper profile even if you’re not character hunting

bladeguard: I concur, there may be a lot of hairy blade guard proxies

sternguard are good. I’ll use them. 

Vehicles: I agree with you Valerian. I’m leaning rhinos because that’s what I have. My built but unpainted land raider may be sent to my World Eaters project. 

Sorry for the double post. I just listened to Art of War’s review and it changes my perspective on some things. Mostly on Thunderwolf cavalry. I still rage at the clouds we lost wargear options but TWC is going to be a strong unit if they can navigate terrain. I didn’t know attached units share abilities with their characters. 

Logan on chariot joining gets their ferocious charge ability. Add in honor the chapter and that unit hits like a brick.

Harald’s Lord of the Wolfkin for devastating wounds on teeth attacks paired with ferocious charge will be good as well. Canid adding sustained hits will be good.

Wolf Lord on thunder wolf may be best addition for a second unit just for rites of battle. Give him lightning claws to pair with ferocious charge.

There’s real play for a mounted army. I’ll probably just use 2 units Thunderwolf cavalry units. 

Because there is no requirement for troops. I may try to run all Terminators and TW. It will be a small army though. Even if TW get cheaper after the nerfening. Maybe a unit of Bladeguard with Ragnar as well, because I like Ragnar. 

We have to wait until Friday because everything will come down to points. I will definitely try out the thunderwolf cavalry with the lord and the battle leader attached both with hammers and shileds and the lord with the black death. If 4 thunderwolves and the 2 leaders cost around 350 points it would be a good deal in 1000pts game. This unit is very mobile, durable and can deal with any unit type. In the first turn if you cant pull out any charges you give them 6+ FNP with free stratagem and you can give them FNP 4+ against mortals or armour of contempt for 1CP to boost their durability. Turn 2 they charge with free sustain hits, lethal hits and a ton of attacks damage 2 and 3 with the possibility of mortal wounds. You can also use oath of moment to kill a very tough unit.

My picks for a list so far (for 1000pts game)

Thunderwolves with lord and battle leader as mini death star

Redemptor Dread with double onslaught 

Eradicators 

Intercessors

Edited by lonewolf81

image.png.a63bf2e037add09e8b3e0d624b592145.png

Well, here's what I've got to work with from my latest version of the Space Wolves army.  Doesn't include the additional points for any Enhancements.  So that's over 3,170 points worth of options.

On 6/14/2023 at 9:44 PM, Wolf Guard Dan said:

Terminators of all stripes. I don’t know if combi weapons or storm bolters are my preference. Probably the combi as they will be tasked to deal with heavy infantry

Personally I lean towards the classic Stormbolter for horde clearance. Termies already have power fists for dealing with heavy infantry

I will probably eventually add Terminators into the force, but not until we get a multi-part kit of the newer scale Terminators (to facilitate adding Space Wolves bits), or maybe even a dedicated Space Wolves Terminator box of our own.  I have no interest in using my old, too-small, Firstborn Terminators with this latest collection.

So, funny moment when brainstorming some list building. I have a unit of 5 Thunderwolf Cavalry, which I now can't use properly as they are 3 or 6. Now it's 3 Thunderwolf Cavalry, a Lord and a Battle Leader and I can use the Thunder Hammer and Power fist again!

Look, sometimes you've got to make some lemonade.

6 BGVs plus a Judiciar with Black Death in a Transport of choice (I am leaning towards Drop Pod atm).

The Judiciar gives the squad Fights First which is really strong in 10th. His Relic Blade has Devastating Wounds and Black Death gives Anti-Monster 4+ and Anti-Vehicle 4+. That means he can proc a lot of Mortal Wounds on to big targets which is the one thing BGVs are a bit weak against. Drop the Pod in range of a midfield Objective T1 and deploy the BGVs, preferably out of LOS nearby. The Judiciar means that even if they get charged or need to HI, they will still strike first.