10th Edition - Do Leaders Inherit Unit Special Abilities

Newbiticus
Go to solution Solved by TrawlingCleaner,

When a Leader joins a unit of say a unit of CSM Chosen does the Leader inherit abilities like "Chosen Marauders" or does the addition of a Leader to a unit prevent such a rule from functioning?

For reference: "Chosen Marauders: This unit is eligible to shoot and declare a charge in a turn in which it Advanced or Fell Back."

A further question related to this: Since the models are considered a single unit, I assume the unit gains all the related keywords of the related sheets. If that's the case then aren't like all the models in the unit Character models since they gain the character keyword when the leader joins? I ask because if that's the case, how does the Space Marine apothecary work?

I've been having a heck of a time wrapping my head around that and things like the assassination secondary or stuff with the anti universal rule x_X

15 hours ago, Lord Grimskull said:

If that's the case then aren't like all the models in the unit Character models since they gain the character keyword when the leader joins? I ask because if that's the case, how does the Space Marine apothecary work?

No, the unit gains all of the combined keywords but the models still only have the ones of their datasheet.

So a Leader, let's say a Terminator Librarian, joining a unit, a Terminator Squad, will make that unit both a character unit and a Psyker unit, but the Terminator models themselves will be neither characters nor Psykers.

What will matter is how other abilities interact, for example Precision: this allows the attacker to allocate successful wounds to a character model, which is only the Terminator Librarian. But something like the Sisters of Silence Vigilators (I think? The greatsword ones) with their  Anti-Psyker 4+ attacks don't care about who is a Psyker just that the unit they are attacking is - and that is because the wounds aren't allocated until after they've already benefitted from the Anti-Psyker keyword; think of it like them trying to cut through to get at the Psyker hidden behind the Terminators.

Edited by Kallas