2k AL Starter List

Brother Kraskor

Fraters, appreciate your input on this as a decent place to start with AL!

Armillus Dynat & Cataphractii Retinue (411)

- Warlord

- 3x Cataphractii Chosen with Thunder Hammers & Volkite Chargers

- 1x Cataphractii Banner Bearer with Thunder Hammer

Cataphractii Saboteur (120)

- Twin lightning claws, grenade harness

Contemptor (195)

- Gravis Melta, Fist with inbuilt melta

5 Recon Marines (145)

- Nemesis Bolters, Augury scanner

5 Recon Marines (145)

- Nemesis Bolters, Augury scanner

16 Tactical Marines (195)

- Sgt with Lightning claw

- Bayonets, Vexilla

16 Tactical Marines (195)

- Sgt with Lightning claw

- Bayonets, Vexilla

10 Heavy Support Marines (285)

- Lascannon, Augury scanner

5 Tyrant Siege Terminators (300)

1991pts

Dynat & Retinue plus both Tactical bricks are likely candidates for Harrowing Infilitrate. Recons, Heavies, Tyrants and Contemptor hold backline. Saboteur goes after targets of opportunity like enemy Heavy Support Squads. 

Ah yes you're quite right, curse my reliance on Battlescribe!

Decided to rejig a bit to lower the initial model count:

Pride of the Legion

Dynat

- Warlord

- Cataphractii Retinue (3x Chosen TH & Volkite, 1x Banner TH)

5 Fulmentarus

- 5x Power fists

5 Recons

- Nemesis Bolters, Augury Scanner

5 Recons

- Nemesis Bolters, Augury Scanner

10 Veterans

- Sgt Power Axe, Artificer, Banestrike bolter

- 2x Meltagun, Power lance

- 3x Banestrike bolter, Power lance

- 4x Banestrike bolter, chainsword

- Nuncio-vox

- Rhino w/ Multi melta

10 Veterans

- Sgt Power Axe, Artificer, Banestrike bolter

- 2x Meltagun, Power lance

- 3x Banestrike bolter, Power lance

- 4x Banestrike bolter, chainsword

- Nuncio-vox

- Rhino w/ Multi melta

2 Scorpius

1989pts 

Likely Harrowing infiltrate candidates are Dynat & co, Fulmentarus, and one of the Vet squads in Rhino but this can all change to taste.

Edited by Brother Kraskor

Infiltrate is still a part of the deployment phase, as per the BRB, and thus none of the Cataphractii units could actually be set up on the board, due to Legion Recon Company, but would all have to start in Reserves.

So I assume it is your idea to deploy from Reserves via Outflank.

4 hours ago, Unknown Legionnaire said:

Infiltrate is still a part of the deployment phase, as per the BRB, and thus none of the Cataphractii units could actually be set up on the board, due to Legion Recon Company, but would all have to start in Reserves.

So I assume it is your idea to deploy from Reserves via Outflank.

That list is PotL, not Recon company. The Vets and Fulmentarus are Troops.

Cata command squad loses the benefit of the heavy rule if Dynat is in there, however they are a great bodyguard unit. 

If anything, I'd drop models to get more terminators in the command squad - 5 of them on foot wont last long, and you're not trying to keep numbers down to fit inside a transport. 

Also switch out the HSS lascannon squad to 2x box dreads (Castra ferrum) with lascannon arms, 8 shots at BS5 statistically gives same amount of hits as 10x shots at BS4. But the box dreads can move and shoot and much more resilient. The cost is roughly the same (ca 340p).

16 hours ago, Imren said:

Also switch out the HSS lascannon squad to 2x box dreads (Castra ferrum) with lascannon arms, 8 shots at BS5 statistically gives same amount of hits as 10x shots at BS4. But the box dreads can move and shoot and much more resilient. The cost is roughly the same (ca 340p).

However you only get 4 Lascannon shots per reaction as opposed to 10, making them FAR worse at that units job.

On Top of that in many places the amount of dreads you can bring will be limited.

Lascannon Marines can also be easily built from the AoD Box and plastic upgrades, whereas the boxnoughts will need additional kits and either a stock of ancient FW Upgrades, Conversion work or 3rd Party Bits.

As for the Lists: 

Both Lists include stuff that is bound to make people unhappy (LC HSS, Fulmentarii, Recons and Scorpii to a lesser degree) so check with your local group and organizers how competitive they like their games.

Would you like to start with the AoD Box and how comfortable are you with Conversion work?

The first List seems much better as a beginner list (just swap the armour on the saboteur) as you can built it completely from the Boxed Set with a Lascannon pack and some very minor conversions on the characters. 

As for the second list, I'd cut the Rhinos on the Veterans as they cant charge after disembarking and you already have Dynat to get them close. I'd also strongly consider taking a least one charnabal sabre per squad to take out artificer Sergeants.

Thanks all for the input. I'd not want to make anyone unhappy. Part of me can't help but feel that this becomes semi-inevitable if you seek to employ AL's strengths? I have been thinking since about taking Contekar for Rewards of Treachery, and running Effrit Disruption Cadre and Splinter Shell Rapiers. Stacking -3 to pinning checks just seems to be playing to AL strengths, but pinning isn't fun for the opponent. How can you play to AL strengths without frustrating your opponent basically?

Was thinking about the AoD box, but I'd really not have a use for the Spartan or massed Cataphratcii. It is a great deal though so hard to resist!

On 6/20/2023 at 3:49 PM, Razorblade said:

However you only get 4 Lascannon shots per reaction as opposed to 10, making them FAR worse at that units job.

On Top of that in many places the amount of dreads you can bring will be limited.

Lascannon Marines can also be easily built from the AoD Box and plastic upgrades, whereas the boxnoughts will need additional kits and either a stock of ancient FW Upgrades, Conversion work or 3rd Party Bits.

Depends, if you run them as separate units you're right, but if you run them together as one unit then the whole unit gets to react. Then its 8x lascannon shots at BS5 compared to 10x shots at BS4, which statistically (rounded to closest integer) has equal amount of hits. But again, coming from T6, 2+/5++ platform.

Box dreads are as easily procured as any other plastic model. They are and has been for decades in the regular GW range of products. If you want to go special then yes, you would have to turn to recasters or 3D-prints to get the old-school FW MkIV ironclad.

Edited by Imren

20 hours ago, Imren said:

Depends, if you run them as separate units you're right, but if you run them together as one unit then the whole unit gets to react. Then its 8x lascannon shots at BS5 compared to 10x shots at BS4, which statistically (rounded to closest integer) has equal amount of hits. But again, coming from T6, 2+/5++ platform.

Box dreads are as easily procured as any other plastic model. They are and has been for decades in the regular GW range of products. If you want to go special then yes, you would have to turn to recasters or 3D-prints to get the old-school FW MkIV ironclad.

A dread Talon only counts as a unit for deployment, not reactions.  But wile their reactions are 'worse' they do obviously benefit from being able to choose different targets, which given the strength of lascannon, is quite a benefit.

5 hours ago, dickyelsdon said:

A dread Talon only counts as a unit for deployment, not reactions.  But wile their reactions are 'worse' they do obviously benefit from being able to choose different targets, which given the strength of lascannon, is quite a benefit.

Thanks, you're right, my bad. Although you only react with four shots, I find that 2x box dreads with lascannons is a better option than 10x TSS with lascannons. both choices are roughly around 300p, but T6 2+/5++ is much better than 10x 3+ wounds, ontop of that you can move 6" and shoot at full BS5.

On 6/25/2023 at 1:33 PM, Imren said:

The Dread itself yes, but there are no parts for the Quad-Las loadout currently on sale be either GW or FW