Bladeguard Vet Characters

Apokalypsi
Go to solution Solved by Valerian,

Now that Wolf Guard and Wulfen have gotten gutted, I'm considering running 2 units of BGV. I'm torn between what character(s) to put with them. So I'd like some input.

The Judiciar's Fight First ability should make them survive once in combat, but I don't know if it would be redundant with BGV's ability. It would mean we could safely get the BGV's reoll 1 to hit always though. His precision with adding attacks will help remove characters.

The Primaris Company Champ's extra range will help them get into combat, which will make them much more survivable in the long run i think. He's also got precision, but rerolls everything against characters. He's not benefiting the BGV once in combat though.

The Chappy would be good for getting damage though when combined with BGV's ability. The downside is no character sniping. Upside is he's less likely than the other two to BE sniped.

Edited by Apokalypsi

It is a tough call. At the moment I am leaning towards the Judiciar as Fights First is really strong in 10th and fairly uncommon. It makes the BGVs particularly scary if you Heroically Intervene with them as they will strike before the charging unit! It is too bad you cannot seem to stack Fights First and free HI on the same unit but I suspect there is a good reason for that. :wink:

• Solution

Yeah, agreed, I'd go with the Judiciar.  Free Heroic Intervention is pretty nice, and +1 to Advance and Charge rolls is good, but First to Fight is better.  First to Fight makes the opponent really consider weather it's worth charging into the unit of BGV, knowing they get to hit first pretty much no matter what.

I would consider the Primaris Chaplain only really if you're going to be routinely taking on high-Toughness units.  That's when the +1 to Wound really shines.  Against anything Toughness 5 and lower, it isn't really necessary, and I think First to Fight again wins out.

I find it interesting that Ragnar isn't even in the running. To be fair, the correct choice is the Judiciar if you are making a take all comers list. The free stratagem from the Champion is okay. But I'd rather pay for it and hit first after than get it free. I think the Chaplain is the worst choice personally. I think the LT's fall back and charge is worth more. So for me again not knowing what you were facing its Judiciar, then LT, then LT and Captain (be it Ragnar or a normal Captain), then Chaplain. I'd be tempted to give the Honor Vehement to the Judiciar as well. Or the Black Death/Frost Weapon to any of the above if using Champions of Russ. 

Black Death is really nice and goes well on the Executioner Great Blade as it has Devastating Wounds. That means against Vehicles and Monsters you will be wounding a 4+ with Mortal Wounds! That is a really strong combo and actually covers the BG Vets' weakness to high toughness units.

I think Judiciar with Black Death is going to be a default combo for BGVs. Just glad I have this guy already done. :biggrin:

gallery_82363_15236_54416.jpg

11 hours ago, Lionsbane said:

I find it interesting that Ragnar isn't even in the running. To be fair, the correct choice is the Judiciar if you are making a take all comers list. The free stratagem from the Champion is okay. But I'd rather pay for it and hit first after than get it free. I think the Chaplain is the worst choice personally. I think the LT's fall back and charge is worth more. So for me again not knowing what you were facing its Judiciar, then LT, then LT and Captain (be it Ragnar or a normal Captain), then Chaplain. I'd be tempted to give the Honor Vehement to the Judiciar as well. Or the Black Death/Frost Weapon to any of the above if using Champions of Russ. 

I ran Ragnar with 3 bladeguard in a 1000 point game vs. my brother's World Eaters. They had a pretty good game they took out 8 berserkers & jugger lord. Between being able to advance and charge and the sheer number of str 8 attacks he has on the charge I think he adds a lot to the unit. I do really wonder how well units like bladeguard are going to do with how solid t10 vehicles felt. Definitively have to play against more fractions before I can make that judgement though. 

P.S. I tied champions of Russ, it went poorly lol. Maybe in a bigger game it will be more impactful but I think its going to be more of handicap mode for me.

1 hour ago, CCE1981 said:

Champions of Russ is pretty bad.  I played a couple of games last night, Characters are good, but you shouldn’t be taking that many of them.  This will make the Space Wolves requirements much harder to accomplish.

Yeah, I would agree with that. In my game I couldn't complete saga of Majesty because my brother didn't put an objective in his deployment zone lol. I went first so Saga of the Bear was really tough because when Ragnar was below half wounds he had to survive my opponents turn by himself. Saga of the Beastslayer is just going to be difficult with how tough those units are now but I didn't really have a character or unit that I would want to attempt it with.

Saga of the Warrior born was the only one I completed. I'm still going to give it a few more games, but it did manage to be worse than I expected for the first game.

On 6/17/2023 at 6:43 AM, Lionsbane said:

To be honest, I run a successor and am still in the mindset of not being allowed to used them. I may try a counts-as.

2 hours ago, Apokalypsi said:

To be honest, I run a successor and am still in the mindset of not being allowed to used them. I may try a counts-as.

You definitely can do that, if you like.  I hear that Hagnar Greymane is an up and coming Wolf Lord in the Wolfspear Chapter.