Common Index House/TO Rules

jaxom

Hi everyone. The Indices have some... issues and I thought it may be useful to discuss house/TO rules for the community as a whole. I think it may be easier to find common ground at pick up games if these sorts of things are shared and spread as much as possible. In my mind, these sorts of things are to file off the rough edges, not completely re-jig the game.

I'll start us off:

1) Any unit whose maximum size + 1 character is off by up to two can still get into a transport (e.g. six Bladeguard + 1 character can fit into an Impulsor).

2) Ahriman on Disc (and similar Fly characters who do not join Fly units) increases cost by 20 points, but gains Lone Operative while within 3" of a FACTION KEYWORD unit. Any Leadership ability they had becomes a 'choose one unit within 6" in the command to benefit' style ability.

I think the absolutely simplest 'fix' is allowing units to be taken in any size between minimum-maximum.  This is patently something that's a reflection of the form of the product being sold, not a game balance design choice, and furthermore it's (generally) simple to do, though some don't round nicely, and there are a few outliers where ppm isn't consistent.

Custodian Wardens are 150 for 3, 300 for 6.  Hmmmm . . . if only we could figure out what they were worth individually!  Pretty obvious here at 50ppm.  

Inceptors are 115 for 3, 230 for 6.  Sadly works out to 38.333 per model.  You won't hit an even 2000 in your list, but ultimately won't matter much.  

Devastators are 120 for 5, 200 for 10.  Looking at the unit options it makes sense that the first 5 are fixed at 24ppm and any additional are 16ppm.  

Anyways, something that came to mind immediately once I saw unit sizes and points listings.  Probably not suitable for a pickup game, but should be a concept familiar to . . well, pretty much anyone who has played any prior version of Warhammer 40k, hardly seems game breaking.  

1 hour ago, burningsky25 said:

Probably not suitable for a pickup game, but should be a concept familiar to . . well, pretty much anyone who has played any prior version of Warhammer 40k, hardly seems game breaking.

I understand 100%. It may be something for TOs to consider for a tournament pack because those lists are planned out in advance and everyone would be aware of it then.

8 hours ago, burningsky25 said:

I think the absolutely simplest 'fix' is allowing units to be taken in any size between minimum-maximum.  This is patently something that's a reflection of the form of the product being sold, not a game balance design choice, and furthermore it's (generally) simple to do, though some don't round nicely, and there are a few outliers where ppm isn't consistent.

Custodian Wardens are 150 for 3, 300 for 6.  Hmmmm . . . if only we could figure out what they were worth individually!  Pretty obvious here at 50ppm.  

Inceptors are 115 for 3, 230 for 6.  Sadly works out to 38.333 per model.  You won't hit an even 2000 in your list, but ultimately won't matter much.  

Devastators are 120 for 5, 200 for 10.  Looking at the unit options it makes sense that the first 5 are fixed at 24ppm and any additional are 16ppm.  

Anyways, something that came to mind immediately once I saw unit sizes and points listings.  Probably not suitable for a pickup game, but should be a concept familiar to . . well, pretty much anyone who has played any prior version of Warhammer 40k, hardly seems game breaking.  

Devestators make sense to have cheaper models after the first 5, as first 5 are Sgt + 4 HW marines, next 5 are tac marine bolter bodies. 

100% agree in having the ability to purchase units which are not min/max size. 

Edited by Marshal Mittens

I'm going to be pro-rating the cost of incremental units to get sizes that I want that aren't on the list.  

There are also a few wargear restrictions I'm going to ignore (I have a chaos terminator squad with all lightning claws, for example - my other termie squad only has one chainfist but if I had two, I wouldn't worry about that either).

For Chaos Sorcerors and Lords with jump packs I am thinking just +20 points, gains FLY.

I don't know that I'm going to be pulling out my firstborn marines any time soon (too many armies syndrome) but I'm good with combat squadding them.

Haven't thought of any other adjustments I'll need but I'm keeping my eyes open.