Unit of the Week Interest

NTaW

Greetings, fellow Nobility. 

Is there any interest in a Unit of the Week series for 10th edition?

For those who aren't familiar, this is a series of discussion articles focusing on one specific unit per week. The focus is on how to best utilize that unit if someone should be interested in playing it and everyone would be welcome to chime in with their tactical musings. This is the one I hosted for 8th edition:

https://bolterandchainsword.com/topic/356075-8th-edition-necron-unit-of-the-week-series-index/

If the board wills it, I will host the 10th edition version. The only thing that drove me a bit mad the last time was doing the banners for the series and units. As much as I've learned in the intervening time I have not gotten any better at creating digital images. So, I have a request. A trade, if you will. 

I'll post the weekly threads and do what I can to add to and direct conversation, as well as politely request Mod help keeping an index pinned and linked, if someone is willing to provide me banners to roll forward with. If you check out the previous work I did, they absolutely do not have to be fancy.

Seems like a sweet deal, right? There's only 50 datasheets in the Index. It could be worse, we could be doing a Space Marine series :blink:

Comment here, message me privately, do what Northern Ontario is doing and send smoke signals...you get the idea.

@Jolemai I don't even know how you get through it all within the lifespan of an edition. Your work is permanently cut out for you!

@Daimyo-Phaeron Lenoch I appreciate your willingness to assist! We'll see if anyone's willing to help with banners before moving forward. If no one comes to the rescue and posting images to the board has become significantly easier than I remember I may still do the thing solo. I'll also look at the new posting tools to see if there's some visually pleasing sidestep to take.

24 minutes ago, NTaW said:

@Jolemai I don't even know how you get through it all within the lifespan of an edition. Your work is permanently cut out for you!

True Happiness stems only from Duty.

The blood of martyrs is the seed of the Imperium.

Heresy grows from idleness.

I always felt the series was an ongoing conversation that could be revisited based on new games played and/or errata and faq releases. Given the established living ruleset, getting a Codex release along the way just gives me threads to bump.

That being said if the general interest is "wait for the Codex" that's fine by me. I was going to see about getting in a game or two myself before starting, not to mention sorting out banners/other options, so even if that all happened early next month I may only be ready to start by the time the book is released. Necrons are in the first few books to be released, aren't they?

To be fair, if we treat it as an ongoing series in the community, parts will be revitalised when there are updates.

So you're probably right there. Plus I doubt they'd change things too dramatically.

To be fair, if we treat it as an ongoing series in the community, parts will be revitalised when there are updates.

So you're probably right there. Plus I doubt they'd change things too dramatically.

I came to this thread without much thought on this subject, and having read the last few posts, I really think you collectively are onto a good idea:

• Start the Unit-of-the-Week with the current Index card
  • When the Codex comes out, return to the already out Unit-of-the-Week threads, mark it like "these previous posts were based on the Index, not the Codex," then people can comment on the new version AND the actual changes

Now why would (at least I consider) this useful?  It's the way we get information.  We google/bing a unit, we come up with a Goonhammer article, we read it, we then realise it's out of date...but the search engine algorithms suggest similarly outdated YouTube video.  By having an ongoing thread, we can see the entire historical context of that, this unit WAS good, but it got nerfed, however it's still useful, but just keep in mind the changes.  With the constant rebalancing (you just know points values will fluctuate), it's a meaningful dialogue to have.

I'll give a recent personal example even though it's not Necrons, it's Nurglings; for you, I think, it's Scarabs.  We filthy heretics loved Nurglings in 8th and most of 9th because they were Infiltrator Objective Securers.  Points costs and stats weren't as interesting as just a blob of Wounds that start the game on an Objective and hold it.  It was in many tournament lists.  Then their status as Objective Securers got changed in the 9th Codex and now in 10th Indices with the OC 0 stat.  However, a person in our local store saw all that old meta information, couldn't understand.  One of our friends directed him to me, I explained the change that happened, and everything made sense to him.  That would be exactly the type of conversation we would have in these Unit of the Week threads here on B&C.

The change, the delta, is what we as a forum does better than a website article or a YouTube video.  It's very useful information that we can have in this ongoing dialogue format.  I didn't think much of it until you guys mentioned it, but I think it's going to be very relevant.  It's an epistemological/logistical/epistemologistical issue.

Can’t wait to read everyone’s thoughts. I only stick to skirmish games, but I enjoy seeing how the cool toys I have actually perform. Fingers crossed the Doomstalker is good, it’s in my top 3 of my anecron collection