Integrating 3rd-7th edition armies into HH?

First things first: no, this is absolutely not about "how do I get me some Xenos into HH?". Drop those knifes!

Having said that, and more in general: how easy or straightforward is it to use a force based on a codex from 3rd to 7th edition with the current HH rules? As I understand it, HH 1.0 was basically 40K 7th edition - but I have no idea how substantial the changes for HH 2.0 were.

To be more specific, I would love to use the lists for both Chaosdaemons and Lost&Damned (from the Storm Of Chaos supplement) in some way. I guess Daemons will get some sort of list sooner or later, but I have no clue how varied and playable the 1.0 version was. I just want to go wild on some grimdark Daemons and play them with a current ruleset that does not suck. Kind of the same holds true for the L&D list, which can at least in parts be emulated by the latest Militia list. But then it still lacks the more mutated brutes and monsters...

Last, but not least: are there current fanmade lists around for either of these?

2 hours ago, Darnok said:

First things first: no, this is absolutely not about "how do I get me some Xenos into HH?". Drop those knifes!

You could always play Great Crusade era games and then Xenos are fine. :biggrin: I totally understand people's desire to keep the HH aesthetic and lore intact though. 

Personally I'm looking at using the Age of Darkness rules to play 40K as I have zero interest in modern 40K rules. 

3 hours ago, Darnok said:

Having said that, and more in general: how easy or straightforward is it to use a force based on a codex from 3rd to 7th edition with the current HH rules? As I understand it, HH 1.0 was basically 40K 7th edition - but I have no idea how substantial the changes for HH 2.0 were.

So long as you and your opponents are willing to discuss any issues that arise and can be flexible, I would guess that about 95% of the games are compatible. HH2 introduces reactions, and there are no formations, but the general units should be easy to use. Movement speeds are something you'd have to house rule, but that shouldn't be too hard. 

It would probably be easiest to use army-lists from the same edition. There is a big gap between 3rd and 7th ed codexes. I'm thinking to use 5th ed books myself, but that's just because I have all the books I need.

Will it work perfectly? I don't know. Will it be fun? I think so. 

So I can only speak for the Eldar Corsair list I have been trying to update, but there are a couple things you need to include.

The most obvious is a movement value. That’s not too hard to figure out by looking at other existing units.

The next thing is figuring out what will be Line. That’s a little tougher, but still relatively obvious.

Then you have to look at all the weapon options and see if any are missing profiles in the new edition, and see if any wargear needs rules (stuff like defensive grenades don’t have an easy equivalent in the new edition).

Like Xenith said, the point values are likely to be out of whack completely.

But, if you are just trying to get some other dudes on the table and roll some dice, it’s perfectly doable without too much in the way of making up rules whole cloth.

For the lists you are looking for specifically, I would just look the the Militia list and all the weird provenances you can give them, that feels like there are plenty of “mutated crazies” options.

Demons I’d suggest ya just gotta wait a bit.

Some great suggestions, thanks a bunch all around!

I guess waiting for a Ruinstorm list is probably the best idea - and add stuff from there if it does not meet all my "needs".

9 hours ago, Xenith said:

I think there was a rule of thumb to add 25% to the points value of a non-marine army using a 5-7th ed codex to account for the discounts on marines in the heresy. Best thing to do is to try! 

Not sure how true that is, we played a lot of games v/6th ed armies and they usually worked out a bit more powerful than Heresy era armies, let alone all the absolute madness unleashed in 7th. Id start with even values and work forwards, though obviously in AOD2 there and huge changes that throw a lot of values out of whack.

@Darnok, you might like the work of the Panopticans who released their eldar list list last week

image.thumb.png.9e218b5ff1638c89d5f3af83da58924d.png

https://hh-ageofdarkness.itch.io/liberantiquia

There will be more in the future (dark eldar, as well as orks, etc), but this was heavily playtested, which was part why it has taken so long to be released.