How will you expand your army in 10th?

24 minutes ago, Spyros said:

Can you share the instructions' profile?

The way I see it in the index, the rifles may have more shots and AP but only deal mortals on 6+.  Isn't it better (against infantry) to use combis the deal mortals on 4+?

Deployed in rapid fire range and buffed by OoM or incursors the combis should be murderous...

Other people have done the math in the sternguard thread, but basically bolt rifles on sternguard push through more wounds and more mortals against almost every target, I believe toughness 5 infantry the combos work out slightly better but that’s it.

if you check the leviathan thread in N&R forum someone posted instructions for the sternguard and originally the plasma was anti monster, melta was anti vehicle with melta 2, they were all 2 shots hitting on 3s.

but that’s not the rules we currently have 

I am busy putting together a unit of Sternguard. I am building them with bolters ATM but I am going to keep the option for combis in my back pocket.

Basically, combis pull ahead against heavy infantry like Terminators and above but against other targets, the higher rate of fire and BS on the bolt rifles gives them the edge. It just depends what you want them to do. With OOM, a Squad of Sternguard will still kill a couple of Terminators which is not too shabby at all.

11 hours ago, Karhedron said:

Basically, combis pull ahead against heavy infantry like Terminators and above but against other targets, the higher rate of fire and BS on the bolt rifles gives them the edge. It just depends what you want them to do. With OOM, a Squad of Sternguard will still kill a couple of Terminators which is not too shabby at all.

That's my thinking too, Sternguard as heavy anti-infantry, ergo combi-weapons. I'm not going to fish 6s from rifles as an anti-tank/monster option, I'll use dedicated units for that job.