1000 pts Triple C'tan Incursion list (updated with experience sharing)

N1SB

UPDATE - I've built this, thanks to the stimulus of Call to Arms, and am playing it.  And it's everything you guys said it was.  The only reason I haven't changed the list is I'm still converting the miniatures I want for Cryptothralls, they're basically going to be converted Primaris that came with the Necron Warriors, like Pariahs but Astartes.

IMG_20230929_003803.jpg.35746ea79bdb19c6299f8381a319d42f.thumb.jpg.b92601848f7bd1f57ff9bb365fe35ef4.jpg

Hi guys, I would ask your advice please.  I'm so out-of-date I don't even know if I'm supposed to post lists here, and I still call Necrons "Chaos Androids".

Here is my 1000 pts Incursion list.  The primary motivation is speedpainting 1st, then effectiveness, then for Crusade narrative games (our meta loves Crusade):

• Nightbringer C'tan Shard
  • Deceiver C'tan Shard
  • Transcendent C'tan Shard with 4+ FNP Enhancement
  • 10 Necron Warriors*
  • Technomancer*

Nightbringer and Deceiver are nice and all, but I think the real monster of the list is that Transcendant C'tan who halves damage, then also has 4+ FNP, and can like teleport into the enemy backline and at worst just be a real nuisance unit worth its points, then at best can actually threaten to take their home objective.  I've marked with an asterisk * the Necron Warriors and Technomancer as they're what I, with my limited knowledge, think are the old workhorses of Necron lists, to fill up the last of the 1000 pts, so I'm particularly open to advice on those.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

CHANGE TO THE LIST - I ended up swapping out the Technomancer for a converted Chronomancer just because of base sizes, putting an Age of Sigmar Banshee on Scarabs.

Edited by N1SB

So interestingly I'm playing with a similar idea for 2,000 points which is triple named C'tan, triple Transcendent C'tan and then some filler - current thought is 3xHeavy Destroyers with a Lokhurst Lord and then a Reanimator for shenanigans. Veil on the Lord, Weave and Hypermaterial Abalator on two of the Transcendents. 

I have no idea if any of this is actually good or not, but it certainly seems hilarious. 

I’d use the deceiver if I was also using a hexmark destroyer… to hopefully (combined) snipe a character each turn.

also… if you have three hard to kill units, maybe try adding another vehicle/tough unit instead of the warriors… leave your opponent no low toughness targets so that they waste their anti personnel firepower.

maybe replace technomancer and warriors with an annihilation barge (to objective camp) and a hexmark as your warlord?

On 6/26/2023 at 12:51 AM, dice4thedicegod said:

I’d use the deceiver if I was also using a hexmark destroyer… to hopefully (combined) snipe a character each turn.

also… if you have three hard to kill units, maybe try adding another vehicle/tough unit instead of the warriors… leave your opponent no low toughness targets so that they waste their anti personnel firepower.

maybe replace technomancer and warriors with an annihilation barge (to objective camp) and a hexmark as your warlord?

I spend a lot of time studying and immersing myself in this topic. Reading plays a huge role in my journey to awareness and understanding of this area. Each new book, article or blog that I find brings me satisfaction and new knowledge. I often use http://essaypapers.reviews/ for this. I sincerely hope that my passion and dedication to this field will help me grow and reach new heights. Share what hobbies inspire you!

I use it too

Edited by jasicarose75

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2023 at 3:19 AM, Stupidity said:

Why the Deceiver? Isn't it a character sniper? Seems like an odd choice for a Ctan heavy list. Do you not have five points for the void dragon or just don't own the model?

Honestly, because the model is easy to build and quick to paint, plus I had a sort of special paint scheme in mind for him.  I didn't own any of these models.  Frankly, your point is well-received, the Deceiver is the most likely to get swapped out once I got time to build & paint a replacement.

Edited by N1SB

On 6/26/2023 at 5:51 AM, dice4thedicegod said:

I totally hear what you're saying, like I'm doing an all-Dread army for 30k without mixing any Marines in.

Thanks for this Annihilation Barge + Hexmark combo, I just looked at them, very interesting, am considering.

Sorry for the late reply, Brothers.  As it was the last Recruit Edition, I did get them for Warriors, but end up not fielding them long-term.

Edited by N1SB

3 hours ago, Spyros said:

I like it!

I have no idea though how many objectives there are in an Incursion. With so few units, will you be able to control objectives and fight enemy units at the same time?

Brother Spyros, I totally hear ya (also dig your new avatar, very handsome).  I was just talking about the 30k Fury of All Dreadnoughts Rite of War, and a huge part of that is not only are they all Dreads, but they can be Objective Scoring Dreads.  The C'tan have a low Objective Control stat, but aren't like Objective Scoring Dreads.  Definitely an issue.

I ran all 3 named Ctan and the Transcendent with the silent king at 2k points a couple days ago. I know the deceiver is low rated by the internet hive mind but I really rated him. He's very good at pulling characters from units (he killed 2 librarian's out of the Ultramarines units I was facing, 1 each turn) and crucially he is OC 6 which makes him better than the other ctan at holding objectives. With so little points spare I'd recommend using your none ctan points on more quantity over quality than you currently have. 3 units of cryptothralls cost the same as your one warrior squad and they're incredibly durable for their cost. Reserve them, hide them, whatever you think best for the game you're in but they make very good objective scrubs and let you be in more places at once objective wise.

Really appreciate your post, I totally twig what you mean.  Through 8th and most of 9th, I ran a Nurgling-themed army where the Nurglings' only job was to objective-sit.

And you went and tested the army for us and shared what you found.  I reckon I'll phase out the Warriors in favour of those Thralls as per your advice.

This is great, I think I'll convert some Cryptothralls, they might be the breakout stars of this army.

• 3 months later...

In the spirit of on the shoulders of giants, like we're some cheerleading squad forming a giants pyramid, I share my playing notes.  Exec Summary:

• 1 should never foolishly rush in.  Necrons overall are slow.  Maybe wait 1 turn in obscuring terrain
  • 2 key things to keep Command Points for: re-rolling C'tan Charges and re-rolling C'tan Invuln Saves
  • Finally, a lot of Objectives prohibit Vehicles.  C'tan are not Vehicles.  C'tan're Monsters...absolute Monsters

I'm going to refine my list, but I think all 3 C'tan are staying, yes, even the Deceiver, will tell you why.  The biggest flaw: it really is a MEAN list.  Bullying.

Just sharing some notes, in the spirit of being helpful.  These are those hard lessons learned on the tabletop, not Theoretical but Practical, for Triple C'tan.

+++ ♫ Wise Men Say... ♫ +++

...♫ Only Fools Rush In ♫ and I mention this because the Transcendant C'tan's Transdimensional Displacement can be a tempting trap Turn 1.

image.png.1835fbebf08d87d7a76035270bfacd8e.png

Wanting to exploit this, I previously teleported my Transcendant C'tan right in front of the enemy to hold back them back, very possible due to its large base.  It might be the right move, but a lot of times, the rest of the Necron army is so slow, they might not be able to take advantage of the Transcendy's noble sacrifice.

Your Transcendy is then left all alone like :cry: and gets shot up for no real benefit.

In fact...I found you kinda want the enemy to move up, so Nightbringer and Deceiver can get into range to charge in.  You're often better off taking all 3 C'tan into non-visibility cover (like on the other side of some ruins) Turn 1, then charge/counter-charge them Turn 2.  Nightbringer and Deceiver have small bases.

Ironically, instead of using this to teleport in front of the enemy at the start of the game, you can teleport back to your home objective at its end.

+++ Reminder: Keep CP For Re-rolls +++

It's so obvious and noobish, but keep some Command Points for re-rolling Charges and the occasional Invuln Save against some big guns.

Basically, your Charges are probably the only way your C'tan move fast.  I think I'm used to playing Chaos Daemons, and we all use Winged Daemon Princes and they're fast.  That's what confused me initially, and this was also why I no longer want my Transcendy to rush in.  Let the enemy come to you, then Charge.

Your enemy is going to train his biggest guns on the Nightbringer in particular, because he's the most damaging C'tan by far.  Another Necron player here uses him as like a guided missile, just fire and forget.  His (all C'tan) 4+ Invuln Save is really good, but you want re-rolls for it.

Re-rolls are the most basic, least skillful thing...but Charges and Invuln Saves are really all C'tan need.  They can take care of everything else themselves.

+++ Yes, C'tan CAN Do Objectives +++

Opponents get so tripped up by this new 10th edition, they're like "oh, your Monsters can't take Objectives."  Actually, in most Missions now, yes they can.

For whatever reason, Missions usually exclude Vehicles and Aircraft, that sort of thing.  We have OC/Objective Control scores, though.  Nightbringer and Transcendy only have OC 4...but you're probably going to kill Battleline units quite easily, and an OC score means nothing when they're dead.  Happens all the time.

The very interesting one is the Deceiver, who has an OC of 6.  It's a Sweet Spot, I found, because of how often I see an Elite unit of 5 Terminators or 5 Sternguard, etc., with some Character, with an OC of 1...matching the Deceiver's OC 6.  That Character is generally the 1st to die thanks to the Deceiver's Precision, and now he's outscoring them.  Opponents generally send those units ahead of the rest of their armies, too, easier for the Deceiver to target.  Suddenly their gameplan where they would bully Battleline units while out-OC Monsters falls apart, because maybe due to a typo the Deceiver has OC 6 to ObSec over them.

+++++

Sharing since just these 3 key points let me take all Objectives and wipe out my opponent's army except for 1 out-of-reach squad today.  However, to re-iterate my point, it WAS quite unsporting, I really eased by the 2nd turn.  Nightbringer and Transcendy did all the damage.

The Necron Warriors and Chronomancer just get ignored.  So if anything, really want to swap those out with smaller units of Cryptothralls to do more.