Nurgle strugle

Emicus

Hello,

I am revisiting an old "surely thats easy to paint" project of Nurgle Daemons with their new rules and could use feedback or discussion (disgust..tion?) of the viability of not being completely rolled. So far Nurgle seems very durable with a lot of options for reducing damage.

Daemonic Manifestation
+ heal D3
+ Battleline regain D3 models (neat! Thats a lot of nurgings and plaguebearers)

GuO
+ FNP 6 aura

Foot prince

+ Stealth aura

Nurglings
+ "stealth in melee" within 6"

Sloppity Bilepiper

+ Force battleshock

So far I am thinking two units of Plaguebearers to hold the line with an attached Sloppity. The two other "lieutenants" boost damage and dont look very good to me. They can either surprisingly take objectives by battleshocking someone and existing, or be shot at and regenerate a surprising amount. GuO, FootPrince and Nurglings boost them further, but I dont think an "investment" in Plaguebearers is sane. Perhaps theyll "accidentally" get the buffs by being blobbed around the Character monsters as a screen.

Beasts of Nurgle heal to full after every phase and T9, W7 5++ is relatively chonky. They are also the only source of [Devastating Wounds] I can find. 5-6 of these (the maximum amount of 3 units of 2). At 75 points each I just dont have a clue. With Stealth and FNP 6 I think they can be a menace, or at least scare my opponent enough to let Plaguebearers score all the points.

On the topic of damage output (hah!) the only worthwhile damage boost I have found is Plague Drones. Anything hit by their ranged attack gives RR Wounds against them by other Nurgle alligned units. Devastating Wounds Slime Snails say hello. But is 1 unit enough? The ability only works on 1 unit at a time, and thats fine, but will I get away with only having 1 unit of flies or will my opponent turbonuke them? Their own damage output and movement is completely incidental compared to the RR Wounds buff.

Lastly in the damage department is Soul Grinder. The daemonic alignment differences are very small, but need to be Nurgle to work with Plague Drones. The Iron Claw is S16 and should wound most tanks on 3s and then get the re-roll. Seems to be the only way to reliably slap high toughness.

/end stream of conciousness

4 hours ago, Emicus said:

Hello,

I am revisiting an old "surely thats easy to paint" project of Nurgle Daemons...

Brother Emicus, in case you don't already have a paint scheme in mind, I share the following on just the painting aspect.  You are right, Nurgle is both easy AND fun to paint:

gallery_57329_13636_14585.jpg.29fbd933338cf9a15c6a85700072079f.jpg

Bilepiper I got as a Xmas gift, which I painted for Xmas the year after

gallery_57329_13636_180123.thumb.jpg.0a68cd9a48b488a425d15edeabf3715d.jpg

I know this is Blood Bowl, just showing the sickly green skin

I wanted to show that sickly, pallid, rotting green flesh skin.  It's for your Plaguebearers, Bilepiper and even Nurglings, but never tried on something as large as a GUO:

• I spraycanned all Black, then stood the models up to spraycan White from above, for a Zenithal effect (no airbrush)
  • I washed the skin areas with a Shade, Athonian Camoshade.  No actual paints, not even Contrast
  • The pink fleshy bits like their innards and intestines was another Shade, Carronburg Crimson
  • Areas like teeth and nails was another Shade, Agrax Earthshade
  • Drybrushed those areas with very watered down white
  • The only things I actually painted were like the metal bits with actual paint, then their clothes with Contrast

As for the army list, I got no advice, Brother.  I played Nurgle through 8th and most of 9th, am looking at Necrons for 10th.  But you mentioned painting, I think this might help.