Adeptus Titanicus Knights-40k mini

Hello all, I wanted some advice. I am terrible at math, and was trying to figure out how to update 40k measurements for shooting and movement to work with the adeptus titanicus knights. I am planning to make a set of 3000 point knights armies using the mini-knights and a small compact table. I would keep everything the same for 10th,  but would just shrink the measurements for movement and range down, as well as the table size.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction? I saw people saying to just use CM instead of inches. I also tried to do the math of 28mm to 6mm, but they came out weird. What do you think is best?

• 3 weeks later...

I think there are two things to consider here:

• Owing to heroic proportions, 40k miniatures do not had an explicit scale, and have varied over time.
  • In shrinking things, you need to find a balance between precision and user-friendliness.

For the first point, you'll often find '28mm' (or today, '32mm') used as a short-hand for a models' height. '28mm' is effectively a modern translation of '1in or thereabouts', which is what many historical toy soldiers would have been – it's simply inherited jargon. 

For our purposes, what's important is that it means a 6ft person is reduced to either 28mm or 32mm tall. It's not all that helpful a reckoner as we're mixing imperial and metric measurements. You can therefore use a simple 'near enough' comparison to call this about 1in/1¼in respectively, which then ties back into 40k's mostly imperial measurements. 

• If 6ft = 1in, then a 6in movement is equal to 36ft. A 24in range boltgun is equal to 144ft. These measurements can then be back-converted to give you your ranges in 'mini-40k'. 

Does that help us? Well, not really – because it's [SCRAPSHUNTERRORABORT] complicated to do on the fly, and you're left with lots of slightly awkward conversions to do for everything. 

It is, however, useful to bear in mind for the more important point, which is below.

+ Actual mini 40k +

The models for both Adeptus Titanicus and Aeronautica Imperialis (and the upcoming Epic: Legions) are explicitly a quarter of the size of their 40k equivalents.

As shown above, that doesn't really tell us much except that a 6ft (182cm) figure is around 7 or 8 mm tall; depending on whether you think a 40k model is 28mm or 32mm. This is because 28 divided by 4 is 7, and 32 divided by 4 is 8. (Epic is sometimes referred to as '6mm scale' because this was the height of the slightly out-of-proportion original minis – you can see the slight tweak for the modern ones.)

Using the same process as above, we find that 7mm is 0.28in – close enough to round to 0.25in – or ¼in. 8mm converts to 0.31in; a slightly more awkward conversion, but near enough 1/3in.

• If 6ft = ¼in, then we can just divide all 40k measurements by 4 to get the correct answers. A 6in movement (representing 36ft) becomes 1½in. A 24in boltgun range (representing 144ft) becomes 6in. A 6 x 4ft (60 x 48in) table is 15 x 12in.
  • If 6ft = 1/3in, then we can just divide all 40k measurements by 3 to get the correct answers. A 6in movement (representing 36ft) becomes 2in. A 24in boltgun range (representing 144ft) becomes 8in. A 6 x 4ft (60 x 48in) table is 20 x 15in.

So, for a more precise answer, you can use older Epic miniatures with 40k rules simply by dividing every measurement by a quarter or a third, as you prefer. 

+++

+ Why use cm? +

The problem with mini-40k like this is that it is tiny. 40k already struggles with needing very precise measurements, and making things three or four times smaller exacerbates this. Secondly, it requires you to laboriously go through and convert every measurement, either beforehand or on the fly.

It's for this reason that people often use cm, using the same values as in 40k, but converting all measurements from in to cm.

• A 6in movement becomes 6cm; a 24in boltgun range becomes 24cm; and a 60 x 48in board becomes 60 x 48cm. 

This is much quicker, and simpler to remember, though it's not as precise, as 1in = 2.5cm. As a result, it lightly distorts values. Weapon ranges 'feel' a little longer and things seem to move faster (this may, of course, be seen as a good thing). Most importantly, you've got more 'wiggle room' for placement, and using Epic miniatures aren't so fiddly.

+ Basing +

The main problem with converting in to cm in the past was with blast templates and base sizes. Since the former don't exist in 10th, this is no longer a problem. You may, however, wish to use slightly larger bases – two and a half-times the proportionate size – to avoid this.

Happily, this is pretty easy, and makes the Epic-scale models more practical to use individually. Each base needs to be two and a half times the size:, then reduced to a quarter of that new size:

• A 32mm base becomes 78mm, and is then reduced to a ¼; making it 19mm. Conveniently, this is the same diameter as a UK penny or US cent. 
  • A 28mm base becomes 70mm, then 17.5mm – slightly larger than a Euro cent.

...and so forth. For your particular purposes:

• The Imperial Knight is on a 160 x 100mm base, which becomes 100 x 62mm. The nearest GW equivalents are the 105 x 70mm large cavalry/bike base.  or the  90 x 52mm cavalry/bike base.

+++

+ Wait, what? TL;DR +

All you need do is this:

• Use 'cm' in place of 'in' for all in-game measurements
  • Space Marines should be based on UK penny/US cent
  • Imperial Guardsmen etc. should be based on Euro cents
  • Knights should be on a cavalry/large cavalry oval.

Edited by apologist