New Space Marine (?) reporting for duty

Hi folks.

Brand new to Warhammer 40k and to this site - this place looks like a fantastic resource.

This isn't my first experience with GW though, I dabbled in the old Warhammer Fantasy about 20 years ago(old school metal miniatures!) but didn't really have the time needed to devote to the game back then and never assembled a full army or played a game. Fast forward to today and my interest got rekindled by serendipity - I was looking for a new PC game to play last month, and it turns out that Steam was having a promotion where they were giving away Warhammer 40k Gladius for free. I tried it out...and it's actually pretty good! (Turn-based hex combat). The trouble started when I started googling for guides and strategies for that game and inevitably pictues of gloriously painted tabletop armies popped up and started to grab my attention again...

I have more time for hobbies these days, and now I'm fired up to dive in to 40k. I'm equally interested in both sides of the game - the painting and the deep(there's a crapton to learn) wargaming. I've spent a few weeks reading and researching, but a lot of the information that's out there is now outdated with the introduction of 10th edition so it's been challenging. 

I haven't bought anything yet and I was planning on heading to my FLGS this weekend to buy paints and my first minis.

The question is, what do I buy first?  I've 95% decided on Space Marines as my first faction even though it's the default newb option and I would normally go for something less obvious...but the SMs seem versatile enough to play lots of different styles and they tend towards elite, which I like both strategically and for the low model count. The SM models also rock IMO, I've got a backstory and unique color scheme in mind for a custom faction and I'm excited to get going.  My plan is to experiment with the different subfaction playstyles or formulate my own as I learn the game.

Based on common recommendations for beginners I was ready to buy the SM Combat Patrol box -the models look good and it has an impulsor - but then 10th edition Combat Patrol rules came out the other day and now it looks like the SM Combat Patrol box for sale at my FLGS can no longer be used for Combat Patrol. What the hell? There is apparently no flexibility in army construction for the new CP, and there is no new Space Marine Combat Patrol box to play it with? Ugh.

Is the current CP box obsolete? Is there no SM CP box that can actually be played?

I'm not sure what to do now. I'm ready to start my army ASAP.

Any advice from veteran players about my overall gameplan, and what I should buy first for SM is welcome. 

I might also make a post in the SM subforum asking about the same thing.

Thanks for any advice!

Edited by Powderfinger

Welcome to the B&C :thumbsup:

In regards to the Combat Patrol, the SM in the Leviathan box are replacing the "SM Combat Patrol", as Combat Patrol is it's own little balanced Game, HOWEVER, in the new 40k App, the other SM Combat Patrols (Blood Angels, Dark Angels etc) don't have the specific Chapter key words locking them to a Chapter. As they themselves ARE balanced Combat Patrols, and the models themselves are also chapter agnostic (they just come with chapter specific upgrade sprues and decals), there's no reason you couldn't pick up one of those and paint them however you like.

19 hours ago, Grotsmasha said:

Welcome to the B&C :thumbsup:

In regards to the Combat Patrol, the SM in the Leviathan box are replacing the "SM Combat Patrol", as Combat Patrol is it's own little balanced Game, HOWEVER, in the new 40k App, the other SM Combat Patrols (Blood Angels, Dark Angels etc) don't have the specific Chapter key words locking them to a Chapter. As they themselves ARE balanced Combat Patrols, and the models themselves are also chapter agnostic (they just come with chapter specific upgrade sprues and decals), there's no reason you couldn't pick up one of those and paint them however you like.

Interesting news, I had not considered that. I think I had assumed some of those units in the boxes were subfaction specific.

I'm checking out the choices and first impressions I'm digging the Blood Angel box the most, most of the units included are supposed to be pretty strong in the 10th.

I'm assuming that means I can treat them as a normal custom faction otherwise, but I would have to play them under Blood Angel rules in Combat Patrol?

Edited by Powderfinger

As Combat Patrols (units/rules) are fixed you paint them however you like, and when you have game you tell your opponent it's Combat Patrol Blood Angels, use those Rules and Units and your all set :thumbsup: