Coping with Plagueburst Crawlers and Foetide Bloat-Drones …

Filius

Hjolda,

my last match in 9th edition contained a quite unpleasant meeting with a Plagueburst Crawler and a Foetid Bloat-Drone. And judging from the Index Card of these two Death Guard units my next clash with them might even get nastier. I looked a bit around in our index cards, and as far as I can tell, Anti-Vehicle-Weapons (edit: esp. Grav-Guns in Grey Hunters and Skyclaw Packs) seem to be a promising coping strategy. But maybe someone in the Aett, has better idea …

Thanks a lot in advance!

Edited by Filius

1 hour ago, Filius said:

Hjolda,

my last match in 9th edition contained a quite unpleasant meeting with a Plagueburst Crawler and a Foetid Bloat-Drone. And judging from the Index Card of these two Death Guard units my next clash with them might even get nastier. I looked a bit around in our index cards, and as far as I can tell, Anti-Vehicle-Weapons (edit: esp. Grav-Guns in Grey Hunters and Skyclaw Packs) seem to be a promising coping strategy. But maybe someone in the Aett, has better idea …

Thanks a lot in advance!

There is no nLOS anti vehicle shooting

It has AP1 but indirect grants cover

Just have to eat it and make saves on 3+

Your infiltrators + phobos librarian and scouts and lone operatives are safe and can hold objectives so you need to remove the other elements in opponents list

If it is in the open mark it with oaths of moment for full rerolls and cut loose with dedicated anti tank (you need this in 10th)

14 hours ago, TiguriusX said:

Your infiltrators + phobos librarian and scouts and lone operatives are safe and can hold objectives so you need to remove the other elements in opponents list

If it is in the open mark it with oaths of moment for full rerolls and cut loose with dedicated anti tank (you need this in 10th)

Oh, ah, I wasn't aware the ability of infiltrators and scouts. Thanks!

Is there anything you would suggest for dedicated anti-tank? There are only few choice with weapons above S10 and the both, the Crawler and the Drone have Invul5+ so I was at first looking into Grav-Guns, Chainfists and Thunderhammers … to work around S10 and Invul … but I really don't have any experience with bringing down tanks, yet.

You have several options open to you for decent anti-tank. Lascannons are always a decent choice if you take them in numbers so Long Fangs, Predator Annihilators etc will do OK. Eradicators need 5s to Wound but get built-in rerolls vs vehicles so are quite effective even against targets without OOM.

Lastly you could go head-to-head with tanks of your own. Gladiator Lancer, Repulsor Executioner and the trusty old Vindicator all pack a decent punch for their points against vehicles and monsters. 

As a reminder for folks who might have missed it/forgotten: if you're running Gladius Task Force, you can use Devastators instead of Long Fangs (because they're 30pts cheaper base, albeit 4 heavy weapons max) since the Devastator restriction is in the Champions of Russ detachment. If you're looking to squeeze in as many heavy weapons as possible, 3x5 Devastators (360pts) is 90pts cheaper than 3x5 Long Fangs (450pts). That's an extra unit of Grey Hunters, or even more than 50% of the way towards a unit of Long Fangs as well :laugh:

In fact, you could run 3x5 Devastators and 3x6 Long Fangs for 27 heavy weapons, though it would cost you 900pts! Hell, at that point, throw in 3x TDAWGPL with Cyclone Missiles too, for an extra 135pts! It's only gonna cost you 1,035pts! :teehee:

14 hours ago, Karhedron said:

You have several options open to you for decent anti-tank. Lascannons are always a decent choice if you take them in numbers so Long Fangs, Predator Annihilators etc will do OK. Eradicators need 5s to Wound but get built-in rerolls vs vehicles so are quite effective even against targets without OOM.

Lastly you could go head-to-head with tanks of your own. Gladiator Lancer, Repulsor Executioner and the trusty old Vindicator all pack a decent punch for their points against vehicles and monsters. 

Oh well, I hadn't noticed the "Total Obliteration" Ability of the Erdadicators yet. Well that changes quite a bit. And as I do have 2 sets of Devastors + 2 Sets of Razorbacks lying around unbuilt, I guess, I got a task at hand … :D

12 hours ago, Kallas said:

As a reminder for folks who might have missed it/forgotten: if you're running Gladius Task Force, you can use Devastators instead of Long Fangs (because they're 30pts cheaper base, albeit 4 heavy weapons max) since the Devastator restriction is in the Champions of Russ detachment. If you're looking to squeeze in as many heavy weapons as possible, 3x5 Devastators (360pts) is 90pts cheaper than 3x5 Long Fangs (450pts). That's an extra unit of Grey Hunters, or even more than 50% of the way towards a unit of Long Fangs as well :laugh:

In fact, you could run 3x5 Devastators and 3x6 Long Fangs for 27 heavy weapons, though it would cost you 900pts! Hell, at that point, throw in 3x TDAWGPL with Cyclone Missiles too, for an extra 135pts! It's only gonna cost you 1,035pts! :teehee:

Oh! I also have 10 unbuilt Terminators (and 10 built ones) … including the nice Space Wolves Terminator with Cyclone Launcher from "Attack of the Orks" … so he just got into the painting queue and I think I'll throw a few more with Cyclone Launcher and / or Chainfists in the mix …

Thanks for all the help!