home objective holders

yan

So what is the best home objective holder at the moment? I was thinking on the good old infiltrators, but desolators also seem pretty interesting.

And do people even concider cyberwolfs still?

What do you bring?

Cyber wolves can’t be fielded alone anymore if memory serves.  They have to lead Fenrisian Wolves. 

I'm a fan of Heavy Intercessors for guarding objectives. 

Infiltrators are good, but I keep feeling they need a Librarian in Phobos Armor increasing their costs.  Still not terrible, this unit with good placement of other units really can’t be targeted until turn 3. 

Heavy Intercessors are incredible, for their points they are incredibly survivable, and have pretty decent long range firepower.  

Desolators would be great for their Range and indirect fire capabilities.  Add a Lt and Apothecary and they can perform both jobs pretty well.

Don’t forget Scout Sniper Squads, these guys also can’t be targeted unless within 12”, while performing some considerable threat to a lot of units.  I like the idea of attaching a Captain in Phobos Armour to them, he shares Infiltrators with them and thus can forward deploy to help control your opponents deployment then with the Phobos Captains ability allows you to pull them back to your home objective.  

Fenrisian Wolves and Cyberwolf have OC 0, so no matter what they can’t hold objectives.   I think they are only really good as a disruption force, or a distraction mini-carnifex.  

you guys need to be aware there are multiple DS at 3" abilities in the game now

our inceptors for example can land and smoke your objective holders bc theybare insidebrhe 12" protection range

you also need to be aware nLOS is everywhere 

the best way to safely hold an objective is infiltrator + phobos librarian

expensive?  yes

guaranteed protection?  hell yes

6 minutes ago, TiguriusX said:

you guys need to be aware there are multiple DS at 3" abilities in the game now

our inceptors for example can land and smoke your objective holders bc theybare insidebrhe 12" protection range

you also need to be aware nLOS is everywhere 

the best way to safely hold an objective is infiltrator + phobos librarian

expensive?  yes

guaranteed protection?  hell yes

If they’re going with assault bolters they’re still only wounding HIs on a 5+ and with 3 wounds still pretty hard to shift.

do you invest a lot of points in holding the back line, taking the midfield or hitting their back line?

1 hour ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

If they’re going with assault bolters they’re still only wounding HIs on a 5+ and with 3 wounds still pretty hard to shift.

do you invest a lot of points in holding the back line, taking the midfield or hitting their back line?

nobody takes assault bolterd...plasma non stop

and their ideal targets are lone operatives not HI

That is what whirlwinds and desolators with oath of moment are for

SM 10th edition is siege warfare

I think the top 3 contenders have been named. Heavy Infiltrators are very durable. Sniper Scouts are squirrely and will make enemy Leaders duck but are vulnerable to DS. Infiltrators + Phobos Libby are probably the ultimate in safekeeping but are the most expensive and probably contribute the least at range.

Here is an interesting idea. Hold with HIs but tag the Objective with a regular Intercessor squad T1. The Intercessors can then move upfield but the sticky ObjSec will mean that even if the enemy blows the HIs away, they won't stop you scoring. They will have to come and physically occupy the Objective to stop you holding it.

2 hours ago, TiguriusX said:

nobody takes assault bolterd...plasma non stop

and their ideal targets are lone operatives not HI

That is what whirlwinds and desolators with oath of moment are for

SM 10th edition is siege warfare

My point being you don’t need to dedicate a large number of points in the form of a squad a character to holding a home objective, and HIs can do it just fine, and shifting them will require an opponent to shift heavy firepower away from your vehicles in order to kill them effectively.

1 hour ago, Karhedron said:

I think the top 3 contenders have been named. Heavy Infiltrators are very durable. Sniper Scouts are squirrely and will make enemy Leaders duck but are vulnerable to DS. Infiltrators + Phobos Libby are probably the ultimate in safekeeping but are the most expensive and probably contribute the least at range.

Here is an interesting idea. Hold with HIs but tag the Objective with a regular Intercessor squad T1. The Intercessors can then move upfield but the sticky ObjSec will mean that even if the enemy blows the HIs away, they won't stop you scoring. They will have to come and physically occupy the Objective to stop you holding it.

That sounds like a pretty good set up in general, but anyone DSing into the backfield would likely be a melee focused unit that would take the objective once it killed the HIs anyway

1 hour ago, Inquisitor_Lensoven said:

That sounds like a pretty good set up in general, but anyone DSing into the backfield would likely be a melee focused unit that would take the objective once it killed the HIs anyway

A melee unit only has a 28% chance of pulling off a charge out Deep Strike. Rhat would be a real gamble for the opponent since they know that if they fail, you will likely blow them away in your turn. 

I've been wondering about Grey Hunters to hold home objectives.  They've got OC2, pack decent ranged and melee weapons, and are slippery with Advance'n'Shoot and Fall Back'n'Shoot. Nothing super special, but 2 charecters can add alot to the sqaud.

Terminator WGPL with Cyclone Missle Launcher adds solid long range shooting as well as another melee weapon. Expensive, but very useful in Champions of Russ to fufill Sagas at range.

Standard Rune Priest (Librarian) gives everyone a 4+ Inv and some decent psychic shots himself. 

Certainly not immune to damage, but a great multipurpose backfield unit that can Advance to join the midfield if needed. And an OC2 squad of Marines contributing Long Range firepower really opens up your options on the game table. 

FYI

This is my first list to test in 10th edition competitive matches

So when you see me saying protect against nLOS and 3" DS you know why

I built my list around those mechanics

Spoiler

115    Callidus Assassin

80    LT with Combi
75    Librarian in Phobos
70    Primaris Librarian
25    Bolter discipline
190    Murderfang

Troops
180    10xInfiltrator (helix)

Fast Attack
115    3xInceptor (Plasma)
115    3xInceptor (Plasma)
160    Stormspeeder Thunderstrike
155    Wulfen Dread (Ax + Shield + 2xHeavy flamer)

Heavy
240    10xDesolation Marines (krak + vengor)
125    Whirlwind (Hunter killer + SB)
125    Whirlwind (Hunter killer + SB)

2000    Total

Dreads in reserve...will pop them out using rapid ingress if I can keep them safe from enemy anti tank on arrival

Inceptors in reserve and DS at 3" to take objectives away or execute lone operatives who are vulnerable

Infiltrators screen my lines and buy me 2 or so turns before i'm in danger...anything rushing at me gets Oath of moment obliterated if needed

Lt. with combi gives me an additional source of reroll wounds of 1...perfect for whirlwinds taking out enemy desolators in the rear etc.

Stormspeeder Thunderstrike gets me +1 to wound shooting if I'm facing too many knights/monsters

How it roughly looks on the digital table...leagues I am in have already house ruled 1st floor windows are closed to nerf towering

*This screenshot was from an older version of the list...i removed the vindicare and added 5 more infiltrators to the current list

Edited by TiguriusX

17 minutes ago, Dark Shepherd said:

Im leaning towards 5 Intercessors plus a Rune Priest to guard the homefield objective, 4++ and sticky objectives

You could drop the Rune Priest and almost afford to run 10 Intercessors. 20 wounds will be better than 10 with a 4++ unless your opponent is pointing heavy weapons at those Ints.