First Game of 10th - Orks vs Dark Angels

Brother Casman

Hey all, I played my first game of 10th edition yesterday, using my Orks against my friend's Dark Angels. 1000 points, using the cards from Leviathan to generate a mission. Some details are likely to be somewhat fuzzy, but here's what I remember.

My List:

- 10 Slugga/Choppa boys with attached Warboss in a Trukk (warlord with headwoppa's killchoppa)

- 10 shoota boys in a Trukk

- 10 Beastsnagga boys with attached Beastboss in a Kill Rig

- 3 Squighog boys with attached Nob on Smasha Squig

- 10 Gretchin + 1 Runtherd

His List:

- Bladeguard Vets with attached Captain and Ancient

- 5 Heavy Intercessors

- 5 Assault Intercessors with attached Librarian

- Redemptor Dreadnought with plasma

- Land Speeder Vengeance (the one with plasma cannons)

- 3 Inceptors with assault bolters

Map: I don't recall the name of the map, but we had a diagonal band of No Man's Land with 5 objectives (3 in NML, 1 in each deployment zone). Home zones are short table edges.

Mission Rules: We ended up drawing the card that gives you two mission rules, then one of those was Chilling Rain, so we drew two more for a total of 3 mission rules! :laugh:

- minefields (advance rolls of 6 causes mortal wound)

- hidden supplies (extra objective in NML)

- home objectives give command points on 4+

Primary Mission: Supply Drop - victory points for holding objectives in NML, "alpha" goes away on round 4, then all but "omega" go away on round 5.

Terrain was mostly large ruins for a overall cityscape feel, fairly evenly placed; 60x44 board.

Deployment: I mostly positioned to make a push into NML. From left to right, I placed the Squighog Boys, the Kill Rig, the Trukk with Sluggas/Warboss, and the Trukk with Shootas. My Grots went on my home objective. The DA did similar, from my left to right, were the Assault Intercessors, the Land Speeder, the Heavy Intercessors, and the Redemptor. The Bladeguard started on their home objective, and the Inceptors started in reserve.

The Dark Angels elected to defend, and got first turn.

We both decided to play with Tactical Secondary objectives.

- I drew Bring it Down (kill vehicles/monsters) and (kill units on objectives)

- he drew Assassinate (kill characters) and (I think) Cleanse (perform action on objectives without opposition)

First Turn - mostly pushes into NML by both sides. He moved the Assault Intercessors onto the left middle objective, and the Redemptor and HINTs moved towards the 2 on the right. I covered the left outer objective with the Squighog boys. Some shooting saw the Kill Rig and Trukks take damage, one AsINT died. Grots generated an extra command point.

Second Turn - Inceptors drop in and wipe out the Grots, RIP. Redemptor blocks the Shoota Trukk from getting closer to the right middle, HINTs cover the right outer objective. Bladeguard push up, the Land Speeder drops back to their home objective. Fire is focused on the Warboss' Trukk, and it gets destroyed. Warboss and Boys recover to go deal with the AsINTs, Shootas disembark to jump on the right middle objective. Both sides score points on the primary mission, with a slight lead for the Orks.

Third Turn - Called the Waaagh! Dark Angel fire focuses on the Kill Rig, but fail to destroy it. The Redemptor charges the Shoota boys on the right middle. The Bladeguard reach the left middle and join the ongoing melee with the AsINTs and Sluggas/Warboss. I use "Orks is never beaten" on the Sluggas/Warboss, and watch as they all get cut down. They retaliate against the AsINTs and wipe them out in return. DA score Assassinate. My Beastboss and Boyz disembark from the Kill Rig, and charge into the Bladeguard. Literal handfuls of dice result in exactly the number of wounds needed to kill the Bladeguard unit. Orks score (kill unit on objective). We also both score on the primary mission, I believe the game is tied at this point. Neither side chooses to do a Gambit.

Fourth Turn - "Alpha" objective in the left middle goes away. DA draw a secondary but I don't recall which one. They focus fire on the Beastboss and Boys whittling them down quite far, and finish off the Kill Rig. The shoota boys are also cleaned off the right middle objective. DA score Cleanse on my home and the right outer objectives. I draw (and discard) "scout corners" secondary objective. I move the Squighog boys towards the Land Speeder via a roundabout route. The Redemptor finishes off the Trukk on the right and consolidates onto the "Omega" objective in the right middle. We both score on the primary mission. Dark Angels are up on points.

Fifth Turn - The two "non-Omega" objectives in NML go away. DA draw another secondary (I believe this was hold table quarters unopposed), then eliminate the Beastboss and Boys, and cut down two Squighog boys. DA end up scoring both secondaries and the primary mission. I draw a new secondary (but it's one I can't achieve at this point and I don't remember what it was), I rush the Squighog boys at the Land Speeder (I can't get to the "Omega" objective), but fail to bring it down. Dark Angels win, something like 45-28.

Closing thoughts: Overall, I had a lot of fun with this game. I really like how the Bosses are force multipliers for units, and I timed the Waaagh! perfectly to tear the heart out of the center. Sustained Hits on melee weapons is really useful, especially on the Waaagh! turn. The whole USR system is well put together, I feel. Vehicles feel far more resilient and we were both really still in the game at turn 4 - it could have gone either way until about then. Lessons for me - I likely should have had the Squighog boys and the Shoota boys/Trukk swapped. I think the Squighogs would have been better suited to facing the Redemptor (well, maybe), instead of sitting for two turns. Positioning has always been my weak point, so something to try to keep in mind. In any case, I'm definitely going to be playing more games of 10th!

Edited by Brother Casman
Mistake in one objective placement