Slow rolling saves in cover

VengefulJan
Go to solution Solved by Xenith,

Let’s say I have a 10 man unit behind a piece of Battlefield Debris.

My opponent has a unit that has 7 of my guys not fully visible to his whole unit, but 3 of  them are fully visible to his whole unit.

He shoots, hits, and wounds.

How do I fast roll these saves?

• Solution

Both cover and wounds is determined on a model by model basis. I assume you know how the slow rolling would work - pick a model, determine if it has cover, roll to save, allocate the next wound, etc.

Just say your unit of 10 models with 5+ saves suffers 10 wounding hits, and has 10 saves to make. 7 are not fully visible, 3 are. 

Assuming you pick the models with cover fist: To fast roll, you say, I'm rolling for guys in cover, then roll 7 dice at once, the most that can die at one time, effectively rolling one dice per model in the save groups. You roll those 7 dice, and if 7 fail, you then allocate the remaining 3 saves to the remaining models not in cover. Say you roll those 7 dice, and 2 pass, 5 fail, you remove 5 models, then can choose to allocate the remaining wounds to the remaining 2 models in cover again. Again, roll 2 dice, as that's the maximum that can die, and means you're not mking better saves for a wound that would kill a model not in cover. Assume both of those models die. There's no one wound left to save, and no models in cover, so that wound has to be finally allocated to one of the visible guys. 

Hope that makes some sense! 

Thank you my dude. Am going to be helping out a “learn to play” event next month, and I want to make sure I got things down. This was a rule that was clunky in my eyes and really slowed down the game, just wanted to make sure I knew how to speed it up.

Xenith has done a good job describing the process, but note that rolling dice for the batches of "the most models that can die at one time" doesn't always equate to 1 die per model.  For example, if you are shooting at a unit where the models have more than one wound (like space marines of whatever flavour), with D 1 weapons you would roll in batches of "the wounds of the most models that can die" - so, using Xentih's example, if the 7 models in cover had 2 wounds each, but 1 had already lost a wound, you could allocated 13 dice rather than 7 as that is the minimum number of failed saves that could kill those models.

With multi damage weapons as well as multi wound models, its a bit more complicated but the same process.  Lets say you are shooting high power plasma guns (with have D 2) at some 3 wound chaos chosen, 2 of whom are in cover.  Here, the minimum number of failed saves that it would take to kill those models is 4, so you can allocate 4 dice.

As for weapons that do a random number of wounds, you pretty much always have to do each shot separately when targeting models with more than 1 wound.  Likewise when rolling dice for weapons with the D 2 or highter and the Devastating property, as mortal wounds can muck up the math by being transferable between models.

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui