Building a 1K 10E List

I'm trying to build (literally & figuratively!) my first 40K army. My raw materials, for now, are the Leviathan box, the SW Combat Patrol, and a box of Assault Intercessors. The Honoured of the Chapter and Space Marines Combat Patrol boxes are the only other ones I'm eyeing for now, but I'm open to TWC and a Stormwolf being added to the shopping list at some point. For now, how does this look? The idea is mostly to bring enough beef that I can hold a couple objectives and push off anybody who tries to take one away. There are enough squads to maintain overlapping fields of fire on anything moving closer, and the Assault Intercessors to punish anyone who gets too close.

My other list idea is a Phobos Captain and a bunch of units I can deep strike or redeploy, and who can't be targeted from more than 12" away. But that's try #2!

Feedback and advice more than welcome!

Space Marines

Space Wolves

Gladius Task Force

Incursion (1000 Points)

CHARACTERS

Lieutenant in Reiver Armour (75 Points)

• 1x Combat knife

1x Master-crafted special issue bolt pistol

• Enhancements: Artificer Armour

Primaris Captain (95 Points)

• Warlord

• 1x Bolt Pistol

1x Close combat weapon

1x Master-crafted bolt rifle

• Enhancements: The Honour Vehement

Primaris Lieutenant (100 Points)

• 1x Bolt Pistol

1x Close combat weapon

• Enhancements: Bolter Discipline

BATTLELINE

Assault Intercessor Squad (90 Points)

• 1x Assault Intercessor Sergeant

• 1x Astartes chainsword

1x Heavy bolt pistol

• 4x Assault Intercessor

• 4x Astartes chainsword

4x Heavy bolt pistol

Assault Intercessor Squad (90 Points)

• 1x Assault Intercessor Sergeant

• 1x Astartes chainsword

1x Heavy bolt pistol

• 4x Assault Intercessor

• 4x Astartes chainsword

4x Heavy bolt pistol

Intercessor Squad (95 Points)

• 1x Intercessor Sergeant

• 1x Bolt pistol

1x Bolt rifle

1x Close combat weapon

• 4x Intercessor

• 4x Bolt pistol

4x Bolt rifle

4x Close combat weapon

Intercessor Squad (95 Points)

• 1x Bolt pistol

1x Bolt rifle

1x Close combat weapon

• 4x Intercessor

• 4x Bolt pistol

4x Bolt rifle

4x Close combat weapon

DEDICATED TRANSPORTS

Impulsor (95 Points)

• 1x Armoured hull

2x Storm bolter

OTHER DATASHEETS

Ballistus Dreadnought (170 Points)

• 1x Armoured feet

1x Ballistus lascannon

1x Ballistus missile launcher

1x Twin storm bolter

Hounds of Morkai (95 Points)

• 1x Hound of Morkai Pack Leader

• 1x Morkai bolt pistol

1x Morkai combat knife

• 4x Hound of Morkai

• 4x Morkai bolt pistol

4x Morkai combat knife

Welcome to our halls Brother (or sister couldn't tell with the name)! Pull up a chair and grab a Mjod!

What you have here is an excellent core for starting in 40k. These should stay decent units for years to come.

Now the tough questions, is it enough. The short answer is probably. Unfortunately 1k points is a bit odd at the moment because the table is so big. So you may find yourself spreading thin due more to table size than lack of units. This will take some practice figuring out how to keep your army close enough for support but spread enough for completing missions.

As for expanding,  phobos stuff looks cool, but I can't advise you there as I haven't used it in 10th yet. But it does appear you are shy on the Anti Armore side. OoM helps but chipping big units to death is pretty tough this edition.  So when expanding look for units to fill that gap. The Brutalis Dreadnought and the Eradicators are great sources of anti armor. As is anything with lascannons. 

Before expanding though I recommend you play a bunch and see what you do and don't like about your forces and shore up those weaknesses. Starting at the top of an edition is good because everyone is learning together, and remember, 40k is hard so don't get discouraged if you lose alot early on. There are many layers to the game. 

Welcome Aboard! 

That looks like a solid start! The only Phobos unit I've used is Infiltrators for back field reserve denial. No clue how the Hounds are doing. I definitely agree with Jbickb. More anti-armor would be the first thing I would expand on. Brutalis, Eradicataors, Murderfang, Vindicator, Long Fangs with Multi-Meltas and/or Grav-Cannons are all great options.

If you're wanting to expand the units you already have, definitely consider picking up Ragnar and putting him with a unit of 10 Assault Intercessors. Can be an absolute blender of a unit.

2 hours ago, Rune Priest Jbickb said:

Welcome to our halls Brother (or sister couldn't tell with the name)! Pull up a chair and grab a Mjod!

What you have here is an excellent core for starting in 40k. These should stay decent units for years to come.

Now the tough questions, is it enough. The short answer is probably. Unfortunately 1k points is a bit odd at the moment because the table is so big. So you may find yourself spreading thin due more to table size than lack of units. This will take some practice figuring out how to keep your army close enough for support but spread enough for completing missions.

As for expanding,  phobos stuff looks cool, but I can't advise you there as I haven't used it in 10th yet. But it does appear you are shy on the Anti Armore side. OoM helps but chipping big units to death is pretty tough this edition.  So when expanding look for units to fill that gap. The Brutalis Dreadnought and the Eradicators are great sources of anti armor. As is anything with lascannons. 

Before expanding though I recommend you play a bunch and see what you do and don't like about your forces and shore up those weaknesses. Starting at the top of an edition is good because everyone is learning together, and remember, 40k is hard so don't get discouraged if you lose alot early on. There are many layers to the game. 

Welcome Aboard! 

Thank you! Appreciate the analysis. Definitely need to get some games under my belt before I start snarfing up random units, lol! My instinct was to field more small units over a couple big units, if only because there’s so much space to cover. Would the Invictor be a better match for armor than the Ballistus? The other idea I was kicking around was a squad of Eliminators with las fucils and maybe a Phobos Lt. for long-range face-melting. 

thanks again for the feedback!

1 hour ago, Apokalypsi said:

That looks like a solid start! The only Phobos unit I've used is Infiltrators for back field reserve denial. No clue how the Hounds are doing. I definitely agree with Jbickb. More anti-armor would be the first thing I would expand on. Brutalis, Eradicataors, Murderfang, Vindicator, Long Fangs with Multi-Meltas and/or Grav-Cannons are all great options.

If you're wanting to expand the units you already have, definitely consider picking up Ragnar and putting him with a unit of 10 Assault Intercessors. Can be an absolute blender of a unit.

Would a Redemptor work better than a Ballistus, for anti-armor? (Considering that DA patrol box as an option.) 

Ragnar is absolutely on my short list. Would love to have him leading some AI and a Judiciar with Bladeguard boiling out of a couple drop pods. 

1 hour ago, TheNicronomicon said:

Would a Redemptor work better than a Ballistus, for anti-armor? (Considering that DA patrol box as an option.) 

Personally I like the Redemptor for its balance of shooting and melee. It is a particularly good all-round unit for smaller games. However I think it is quite a bit pricier than the Ballistus and not quite as good at anti-tank which you are a bit short on. 

Having said that, the Redemptor does have the -1 damage rule which is particularly good in 10th when combined with the generally increased toughness of vehicles. 

Let’s try this again. 

4 units this time. A fat brick of Intercessors with a Lt and Bolter Discipline should chew things up nicely. 
Hounds and a Phobos Librarian/Rune Priest to watch over them in the Impulsor, for hunting characters, psykers, or just mobile reinforcements. 
Judiciar with a full complement of Bladeguard for face-slicing.  
And finally, the Biologis leads the Eradicators and gives them Lethal Hits, which feels like it could be fun with flame-spewing hand cannons. 

Granted I’ll have to proxy some of the models for now (looking at 3 of those Bladeguard in particular) but does this list look better? Feels like I’m probably vulnerable to shooting (not a lot of protection going across the field) and maybe flyers (not sure how much that’s house be worried about, or if putting missiles on the impulsor is enough). 

side note: Primaris LTs wear Tacticus armor. Is there any reason I couldn’t kitbash an Intercessor into a lieutenant, if I want to run multiples in a list?

Wolves Gladius 6 (995 Points)

Space Marines
Space Wolves
Gladius Task Force
Incursion (1000 Points)

CHARACTERS

Apothecary Biologis (55 Points)
    • 1x Absolvor bolt pistol
      1x Close combat weapon

Judiciar (90 Points)
    • 1x Absolvor bolt pistol
      1x Executioner relic blade
    • Enhancements: The Honour Vehement

Librarian in Phobos Armour (75 Points)
    • 1x Bolt pistol
      1x Force weapon
      1x Smite

Primaris Lieutenant (100 Points)
    • Warlord
    • 1x Bolt Pistol
      1x Close combat weapon
    • Enhancements: Bolter Discipline

BATTLELINE

Intercessor Squad (190 Points)
        • 1x Astartes chainsword
          1x Astartes grenade launcher
          1x Bolt pistol
          1x Bolt rifle
    • 9x Intercessor
        • 1x Astartes grenade launcher
          9x Bolt pistol
          9x Bolt rifle
          9x Close combat weapon

DEDICATED TRANSPORTS

Impulsor (95 Points)
    • 1x Armoured hull
      2x Fragstorm grenade launcher
      1x Ironhail heavy stubber
      1x Ironhail skytalon array

OTHER DATASHEETS

Bladeguard Veteran Squad (200 Points)
    • 1x Bladeguard Veteran Sergeant
        • 1x Heavy bolt pistol
          1x Master-crafted power weapon
    • 5x Bladeguard Veteran
        • 5x Heavy bolt pistol
          5x Master-crafted power weapon

Eradicator Squad (95 Points)
    • 1x Eradicator Sergeant
        • 1x Bolt pistol
          1x Close combat weapon
          1x Melta rifle
    • 2x Eradicator
        • 2x Bolt pistol
          2x Close combat weapon
          1x Melta rifle
          1x Multi-melta

Hounds of Morkai (95 Points)
    • 1x Hound of Morkai Pack Leader
        • 1x Morkai bolt pistol
          1x Morkai combat knife
    • 4x Hound of Morkai
        • 4x Morkai bolt pistol
          4x Morkai combat knife

If it was me, I think at 1k I would swap the hounds+lib with tge ballistus from your last list. Even at 1k I think you will need 2 anti tank sources, things are pretty tough this edition. Otherwise it looks pretty good. Certainly worth putting a few games under your belt with.

Also who is riding in the impulsor? It looks like no one fits...

Never mind can't read evidently. Maybe keep the hounds and drop the impulsor and lib. They should still do ok on their own. 

As for your kitbash (I also missed that bit) no issue except lieutenants are on 40mm bases so you'll need one of those for him.

Edited by Rune Priest Jbickb
Didn't read good...