Sons of Horus beginners army

strawberry fist

I’m starting a new army and elected to go for the Sons of Horus and ultimately would like them to be used in competitive tournaments, if I can ever get tickets to events. I’ve got 123 point left to use to get me to 2000. Would you suggest a scorpius or xyphon interceptor or anything different?

what are people thoughts on the list below as I’m not 100% sure on using the long march as a rite of war as the heavy support squad will have to start in a rhino/ off the board which mitigates their output for a turn.

Thanks in advance.

Sons of Horus 

Rite of War: The Long March 

1877 points

HQ

Centurion

Master of Signals -artificer armour

Praetor 

Warlord

Banestrike Bolter, Bolt Pistol, Thunder hammer

Retinue - Justaerin Terminator Squad

1x multi-melta and thunder hammer

1x standard and thunder hammer 

3x banestrike combi-bolter and carsoran power axe 

Transport- Land Raider Proteus Carrier: Twin-linked Heavy Bolter

Elites: 

Contemptor Dreadnought: Combi-Bolter, Gravis Lascannon, Gravis Power Fist  with in-built ranged weapon

Troops

Reconnaissance Squad [135Pts][/b]

5x Nemesis Bolter

Tactical Squad

Legion Tactical Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Power Fist

9x  Legionaries - Bolt Pistol, Bolter

Legion Vexilla

Rhino Transport: Dozer Blade, Multi-Melta

Tactical Squad

Legion Tactical Sergeant: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Bolter, Power Fist

9x  Legionaries - Bolt Pistol, Bolter

Legion Vexilla

Rhino Transport: Dozer Blade, Multi-Melta

Heavy Support

Heavy Support Squad

10x Lascannon

Rhino Transport

A few points off the top of my head

(All personal opinion)

Drop the Thunder hammer from the Praetor, probably switch into a Paragon blade (same points and has insta death at initiative, really helps, and the squad he's with have a lot of brutal attacks)

I'd swap the Axes on the terminators, +1 extra strength really adds up (and you don't really lose anything from two handed)

With the Contemptor, I'd suggest switching the LC for a melta partly as I imagine he'll be stomping up the board and given the amount of LC's you have he's likely to want to get in close making the LC a little less useful 

Swap your Vexillias for Augury scanners (gives defence against Deep strike (via intercept) and counters night fight), if your Master of Signals isn't with the Heavy support squad throw on on them too

Drop the multi meltas from your rhinos, they won't live long enough to make good use of them (search lights may be a good alternative to allow your Proteus to pot shot vehicles as it moves up)

I'd potentially add a second Recon squad for a second source of pinning (which denies reactions and can help break squads), though a Scorpius is also a good choice for this too. Also provides another good objective holder for backline.

Still finding my way through Heresy currently also, but from experience the above should prove helpful (maybe review the fist on Tac Sarges as you could possibly use the points better else where) 

• 3 weeks later...