10th Edition: Leaders in Reserve/Strategic Reserve use their abilities?

I had a game tonight where a question came up;

My opponent with a Terminator Captain attached to Terminators in deep strike reserve claimed he could use his Rite of Battle ability to get a free stratagem usage on "Only in Death does duty end".  I told him I didn't think a model in reserves (strategic or otherwise, or otherwise off the table) could use any abilities, and was in all ways completely inert, just as it was in 9th edition.

I let him have the rule in his favor as I didn't feel like looking it up and we both wanted a good game.

The easiest answer is they couldn't have had a free stratagem usage from the Terminator captain because it can only target his unit:

image.png.698e028f6c501c38cbb3433c14af1415.png

If the Captain is with his squad in Deepstrike so they can't use "Only In Death does Duty end" and definitely cannot use it on another unit

I'm not wholly sure that characters can't use their abilites when not on the board, I suppose now that character's buffs are targetted, have ranges or for their unit on the whole, it probably comes out in the wash? I could definitely be wrong though and there could be a specific rule in the Rulebook or Commentary but I can't see it :biggrin:

On 6/30/2023 at 10:11 AM, TrawlingCleaner said:

Ah, there you go!

image.png.39ba2fcb3a7f40d4db84a7d5ba096101.png

Wait wait wait. So you are saying that a GSC Nexos in Strategic Reserves can use his once/turn free stratagem to target his squad with a deepstrike stratagem like Tunnel Crawlers even though he isn't on the board?

That means that I can deepstrike a total of 2 units on my turn, both with Tunnel Crawlers.

Geez. Talk about demo charging the :cuss: out of something!

Edited by Jolemai
Swear filter dodge

1 hour ago, Rogue said:

Cults can also make use of the Primus' ability to redeploy three units, even if the Primus himself is in reserve.

By the Emperor, you're right!

I have not had a chance to sit down and absorb all of that.

I'm not sure units are targetable when they are in reserves - but asides from that, this would seem to work (depending, of course, on the wording used in the specific ability and stratagem.