Images attached to posts upload corrupted

When attempting to attach images to posts they upload corrupted.

I am using the, "Drag files here to attach or chose files...," option at the bottom of the post box in which I am writing this very post. I am using the, "choose files...," option most times however I have tried to use the drag and drop options as well with the same result. Both the preview and the final post have the corrupted image. I am mostly using .png images however I have seen this behavior with .jpeg images as well. I am using the Firefox fork, LibreWolf as my web browser most of the time, however this behavior persists on mainline Firefox as well. I usually use Arch Linux as my OS, but I have also seen this behavior on Windows. Most of the images I'm trying to upload are pictures of an army I am building taken with my phone, but I have also seen this behavior when attempting to upload my avatar. The images are uncorrupted on my computers.

I have managed to upload my current avatar. I do not know what is different about the avatar that I managed to successfully upload.

The expected behavior is to be able to attach images to threads and upload them without corruption.

Here is a thread where I attempted to upload images and the described behavior occurred: 

I will be happy to upload another image or two to help diagnose the issue.

What do you mean when you say that the images are corrupted?

When you use the "Drag files here to attach, or choose files..." option, all that should happen is the image/file is attached to the post without being displayed (as the 40k-space-marine-art.jpg file below). It will show up in the UPLOADED IMAGES box that appears at the bottom of the post editing box, but won't display in the actual post. If you want an image to actually display into the post, as the image below, you have to paste either the image or the image URL (if it is stored online) directly into the post. That, too, will show up in the UPLOADED IMAGES box (pasted directly into the post, so it's called "image.png" below).

image.png.e58ffb55a0d0b446f0e4955d13e94035.png

(The above image is called 39809010151207032567901.jpg on my computer.)

image.thumb.png.3f91a2ac29c6b1cbe513d94ba623adc7.png

40k-space-marine-art.jpg

And when I submitted the post, the attached image appeared at the bottom of the screen.

I'm using Microsoft Edge, however. I can play around with Firefox to see if I get an error.

What appears for you when you go through these processes?

So, if I attempt to upload a picture of my WIP Imperial Fists, the image is named IMG_20230628_195745.png with a size of 769.7kB on my drive and 752kb uploaded, I get just a grey-dominant spread of colored pixels in the upload field. Here it is inserted into the post:

IMG_20230628_195745.thumb.png.2894ab7c74c224720d096bcd071aabb9.png

I will upload the picture somewhere else and link it if you like.

The images in the first @Test Account post above are .jpgs of varying widths. The images of the second @Test Account post above are .pngs of varying widths. Both posts were submitted using Firefox, and with the images attached (rather than being pasted in or posted from a URL).

Is anyone else having the same problem?

• 2 weeks later...

Update!

I don't know why, but I can upload to a gallery just fine. I can just add the images to a gallery and them add them to posts I'm making. I have no idea what the difference is, but it works fine. Thanks for taking a look. Just glad to be able to upload images.

• 2 months later...

I had the same bug a couple of times when posting my Call to Arms updates. I'm running Firefox 117.1.0 on Android v12. Rebooting my phone fixed it in the short term so my guess is some kind of cacheing issue.