Wolves 10e Terminator Builds

Prot

I don't think too many people are talking about, or maybe seeing Termies as a strong option. 

I'm trying to figure out if they're worth it compared to other marine chapters, using a possible combination of characters.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

First up (one of my favorite characters): Arjac.

His personal stats are good. He hits hard Foehammer in melee is A5 WS2 S8 AP-2 D3 (anti monster 2+)

Abilities: Adds +1 to hit roll for unit if (his?) unit is below starting strength.  Also his unit adds 1 to wound roll as well if below half strength. (almost never going to happen.)

Champion of the Kingsguard: You can target this model with the Epic Challenge Stratagem for 0CP. In addition, each time this model makes a melee attack that targets a Character unit, you can re-roll the Hit roll and you can re-roll the Wound roll

Champion of the Kingsguard: You can target this model with the Epic Challenge Stratagem for 0CP. In addition, each time this model makes a melee attack that targets a Character unit, you can re-roll the Hit roll and you can re-roll the Wound roll

- So I hate to say it, but this is not as good as it should be considering the character we're talking about. Conversely....

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Wolfguard Battle Leader in Termie Armour:

Load out he's looking similar to any wolfguard, perhaps Thunderhammer, Combi weapon? 

Abilities: Tactical Precision: While this model is leading a unit, weapons equipped by models in that unit with have the [LETHAL HITS] ability.

Huskarl to the Jarl: While this model is attached to a unit that contains another Character model, all Character models in that unit have the Feel No Pain 4+ ability.

- Huskarl does draw me to a possible strong combo. However, he needs to have another character to accompany for this to kick in.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

WOLF GUARD PACK LEADER IN TERMINATOR ARMOUR

This one is interesting, in the APP he's better than the Index entry. So I'm assuming the app is correct...?

Inspiring Leader: Unit he leads is able to shoot and declare a charge in a turn in which they fell back or advanced. Really solid for 45 Points. (Oops... I just see now he cannot lead a Terminator squad.)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

NJAL STORMCALLER

Njal has the most complicated weapon load out so for ease of review, I'll plop it here:

image.png.01b4f852db07e246b2ec1242d3500152.png

- Really decent, and makes me think if we take him with Termies, he's better off being able to shoot (IE: not advancing often.)

Abilities: Stormcaller (Psychic): While this model is leading a unit, models in that unit have the Stealth ability. (A shoutout to his 9th edition power.)

Runic Armour: Each time a Psychic Attack targets this model’s unit, subtract 1 from the Wound roll.

These abilities are really nice, defensive abilities for a unit (Terminators) that is built to last, and one of their big weaknesses will probably be Mortal Wounds (from Psychic attacks.) Not bad. 

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Maybe I should have put this first, but I'm on the fence about him for the cost, and lack of game long buff to the Terminator unit:

LOGAN GRIMNAR:

The Axe Morkai is of course a strike or sweep type of weapon, but tops out at 3 damage with 6 attacks at S8. (I really thought this might be stronger than a fist, especially since the Axe seems to have zero special abilities.)

High King of Fenris: Once per battle, in your Charge phase, this model can use this ability. If it does, until the end of the turn, you can re-roll Charge rolls made for Adeptus Astartes units from your army and, until the end of the turn, each time an Adeptus Astartes model from your army makes a melee attack, you can re-roll the Hit roll.

The Great Wolf: Each time this model destroys an enemy unit, you gain 1CP

Abilities: 

Again, not bad, but for 145 points, I don't know if I'd actually stick him with Terminators. 

So I think that's it for terminator options and Space Wolves characters. 

To me it appears Njal is a great choice, but I don't think anyone else can join the squad if he joins. That is to say characters like the Wolf Guard Battle Leader and Arjac are able to join squads that have a 'Captain' or "Chapter Master" however, Njal does not have those key words so I assume if he's in the termies, he's alone.

Thoughts on playing the Termies/Combo's?

3 hours ago, Prot said:

To me it appears Njal is a great choice, but I don't think anyone else can join the squad if he joins. That is to say characters like the Wolf Guard Battle Leader and Arjac are able to join squads that have a 'Captain' or "Chapter Master" however, Njal does not have those key words so I assume if he's in the termies, he's alone.

That is correct.

You forgot the generic Terminator options.  This  is relevant because Wolf Guard Terminators are more versatile than any others.  However, the problem is that Dark Angels have the two best Terminator units.  The Deathwing Command Squad, and the Deathwing Knights.  

Deathwing Command Squads have enough versatility, plus bring back one model, +1 advance and charge, 0 CP Heroic intervention, +1 OC per model, and anti-character before you add in Character support.

Deathwing Knights have 4x wounds and -1 damage.

Edited by CCE1981

I'm not sold on Logan. He hits pretty hard. His ability is great, once. I'm not convinced you will get a CP from his second ability most games. Compared to a Terminator Captain he seems good. But is he 55% better? I am not sure of that. On Stormrider I think he is over-costed. a bit as well 

Don't forget DW Knights also all have a 3 Damage weapon (but the sarge). DW command Squads pay a massive 2pts a model for all their extra bonuses. 

SW Termies lose an arm if they equip a heavy weapon.

The WGTPL cannot join Terminators. 

Someone at GW loves Dark Angels. 

Logan Grimnar may be expensive in points. Art of War wolves olayer had the idea to run him on foot, solo and deep strike him in when you needed to AROOO the charges. The CP generating ability probably more likely to occur when you’re on the chariot. Both versions of him feel expensive. I haven’t been able to play a game of tenth yet so idk. 

I just wish I had the kitbashing skills of some of the players who have been posting on Reddit.  There are some phenomenal Wolf Guard Terminator packs being made out of those chonky new Leviathan Terminators.  I hope GW doesn't make us wait too long to get a multipose kit with appropriate bits.

WG Terminators can take combi-weapons. In the Gladius detachment and a long combo, they can pump out mortal wounds. A lot go into fishing for mortals so your milage may vary. So my unit is 10 terminators with 5 - combi/TH and 5 - combi/SS. Then attach a leader or two with bolter discipline (Ancient, chaplain).
Devastator doctrine + Storm of Fire + Bolter discipline + Oath of moment + Deep strike + combi-weapon

• 2 weeks later...