My findings after my first 10th edition Necrons game

Captain Idaho

Fellow nobles and Crypteks, I managed to secure a game on Saturday using Necrons in my first outing with them for 10th. I found the experience really fun and rewarding. 10th game play works pretty smoothly, with some obvious caveats.

Firstly this was semi competitive. My friend was a tournament player and although we were both starting out and need to refine our lists, his Blood Angels were still quite intimidating. Especially knowing he'll be good with them.

The board was also a bit smaller but that didn't bother me as Blood Angels might be super choppy, but then so are Skorpekh Destroyers!

Here is my own list firstly:

Spoiler

Skorpekh Lord 

• Sempiternal Weave

2× Technomancers

Hexmark Destroyer

2× 20 Necron Warriors

2× 6 Skorpekh Destroyers

2× 10 Flayed Ones

3× Heavy Destroyers

5× Deathmark

Reanimator

Doomsday Ark

It was basically trying bits out, particularly the Doomsday Ark. 

So my opponent's list was pretty dangerous but was stacked too high one way as you will see. Still, mine wasn't ideal either so the game was fair.

Approximately:

• Dante leading 10 Sanguinary Guard 

• Lemartes leading 10 Death Company with Jump Packs

• the Sanguinor

• Vindicare Assassin (he kept forgetting to fire it as it couldn't see through ruins I careful positioned behind)

• 2× Devastator squads with Lascannons

• Terminator Captain leading 10 Assault Terminators

Now, findings... I won on objectives quite handily. Having the aggressive elements in the Skorpekh and Flayed Ones was more than enough to contest and hold 3 of the 4 objectives. Dropping the Deathmarks in also helped with that.

Now combat... Skorpekh smash. I've seen comments to the contrary but honestly, even without the Skorpekh Lord, I had a squad kill most of a squad of Sanguinary Guard in 1 turn. Popping the Plasmacyte is killer and turns the

Dante is a boss though. But so is a Skorpekh Lord charging! Twice he rolled 6s for his Crimson Harvest and caused 5 Mortal Wounds twice. 

Overall I found the list capable as a good core to build around.

Necrons reanimating was great fun and putting the Reanimator behind a ruin meant it survived all game. At one point I got the Warriors from 6 back up to 18 models thanks to a Strategum.

Lastly, I want to praise the Hexmark Destroyer. Even with my poor placement of models, he put in sterling work. He finished of the Sanguinor and pulled wounds from other characters. Lone Operative left him holding an objective in the open, scoffing at the ineffective Vindicare Assassin. 

He's well recommended and I can see competitive players taking 3...

In summary I enjoyed Necrons and felt like they weren't overtuned but had just enough spice to kick back against a melee heavy force in a way that didn't leave a bad taste in your mouth. 

Edited by Captain Idaho