On table sizes I can see them using the same format as 40k and the majority of their other games:

• All deployment zones and objective positions will be based on distance from the centre point of the board
  • Minimum recommended sizes in the range of 44x30, 44x60 and 44x90 allowing them to produce card segments in the same way as 40k, AoS, Kill Team & WarCry

Rik

Trying to force a mass battles game into a skirmish board doesn’t sit well with me, but the economically inclined portion of my brain realizes it’s about as much money to densely populate a 6x4 with terrain as it is to buy a new army. Giant open fields works sometimes, but most modern combat is going to be urban and at this scale a 6x4 filled with terrain would be insanely expensive unless you are fine with that old school six buildings in the middle of a grass field style game. 

Edit: I wonder if I couldn’t get some sheets of 1mm tiling plasticard and make 2x2 zones so there is a mix of open and dense plazas and buildings 

Edited by Marshal Rohr

51 minutes ago, Rik Lightstar said:

• Minimum recommended sizes in the range of 44x30, 44x60 and 44x90 allowing them to produce card segments in the same way as 40k, AoS, Kill Team & WarCry

Rik

Given FW have very purposefully avoided these in Munda, AT, AI and heresy, I doubt it :)

20 hours ago, BolterZorro said:

Epic has always been cheaper than 40k. I hope, it(ll stay this way.

And for example: with 2 starts + 1 AT starter, you already have 2 pretty nice armies for a fraction of the cost of 1 40k army.

I am really curious how GW will make his ROI with such tiny minis (no need of a lot of sprue to build an army)

The commercially successful versions of Epic – SM1, SM2 and to a lesser extent E:A – were relatively cheaper than 40k. SM2 was the 'third big game' back in the 90s – I'm fairly confident that, at its peak, it reliably outsold Fantasy and nipped at the heels of 40k. That was built on massive armies, with boxes of infantry being stuffed in, and expansion (through blisters) being pocket-money prices. 

Epic: 40,000, however, is an outlier in being eye-wateringly expensive, even at the time. The boxes were anaemic; priced pretty much the same as they had been, but with much less inside. Expansion blisters were pricier than 40k or Fantasy blisters, too.

Looking more to today, Aeronautica seems to attract quite a lot of sticker shock (though this is anecdotal rather than based on any hard numbers), while Titanicus has got some very skewed pricing – surprisingly dear or cheap, and seemingly without much rhyme or reason.

I hope GW takes the right lessons from the past, and prices Legions Imperialis with an eye to getting a game-ready force for less than three figures. A new scale is a lot to ask people to try, and the more barriers you put in the way, the easier it is for them to walk away. 

Getting the price in a sweet spot is how GW will get their return on investment, I think; not by selling huge numbers of boxes to relatively few people, but by selling two or three boxes to a broader market. It's set up to do so – if you've already ventured into the scale with AT or AI, it's a relatively easy sell, as your existing collection makes buying in easier; and the existence of that group reassures new players that they'll be able to find games.

Edited by apologist

And another article, this time answering some questions. Quite a long one at that.

TLDR:

• "No plans for 40k" (but they would say that)
  • Every Titan and Knight in AT can be used.
  • No Valkyries/Vendettas. 
  • 25mm bases. New bases for Titans but AT ones are still compatible.
  • Want you to use LI bases for Aeronautica models.
  • Tanks won't have bases.  
  • AT and AI will still be supported.
  • Confirm Titan and aircraft rules will be more streamlined.
  • Reiterate that reactor and shield management aren't a thing.
  • Most kits will be plastic with some niche units as resin.
  • Marines/Solar Auxilia will be the only factions at launch, but there'll be others in the future.
  • No Legion-specific units releasing at launch.
  • Dodge the Primarch question, but wink/nudge style answer (so they'll probably happen)
  • Models are "a little bigger" and more detailed than Epic 40,000.
  • New terrain.
  • Suggest talking to your opponent if you want to use older minis.
  • The launch box is "a relatively small army".
  • Encourage you to mix legions and Solar Auxilia together.

Edited by Lord Marshal

55 minutes ago, Marshal Rohr said:

it’s about as much money to densely populate a 6x4 with terrain as it is to buy a new army

Mostly not.

In fact, a big NO.

Especially at the Epic Scale.

Why? Because most of urban decors are just buildings and ruins. And the decors can just be printed in FDM. No need to go to the resin route which is messy, need more space and care etc... Just buy an good entry level FDM printer (200$) and just 1 (yes ONE) kilo of filament and you're pretty much done. If you want very dense city to cover full 6*4, you're looking at 4 kilograms of filament! At 15€/$ each kilo, it is super cheap and solid.

I know it, I did it lol. And most of the 3D STL files are free . You want some originality, to change (or compliment a bit) the always seen gothic? for example a new campaign has been launched here: 

https://www.myminifactory.com/frontier/revolt-of-cendre-1847

19 minutes ago, Lord Marshal said:

TLDR:

• Suggest talking to your opponent if you want to use older minis.

? It's an official product

If bases are correct there's nothing to complain about. Can't grasp why this is even mentioned.

9 minutes ago, Emurian said:

? It's an official product

If bases are correct there's nothing to complain about. Can't grasp why this is even mentioned.

Probably because people were asking "can I use my old minis?" I guess it's their PR way of saying "we'd rather you bought the new ones, BUT."

Also there really are people out there who refuse to play against anything but the most recent, official models. 

5 minutes ago, BolterZorro said:

I only see 2 entries in AI for SM and 2 for auxilia? that's it?

No thunderhawk?

They're probably getting reboxed. They already showed the Thunderhawk on one of the previous articles.

Edited by Lord Marshal

50 minutes ago, BolterZorro said:

Mostly not.

In fact, a big NO.

Especially at the Epic Scale.

Why? Because most of urban decors are just buildings and ruins. And the decors can just be printed in FDM. No need to go to the resin route which is messy, need more space and care etc... Just buy an good entry level FDM printer (200$) and just 1 (yes ONE) kilo of filament and you're pretty much done. If you want very dense city to cover full 6*4, you're looking at 4 kilograms of filament! At 15€/$ each kilo, it is super cheap and solid.

I know it, I did it lol. And most of the 3D STL files are free . You want some originality, to change (or compliment a bit) the always seen gothic? for example a new campaign has been launched here: 

https://www.myminifactory.com/frontier/revolt-of-cendre-1847

Suggesting someone DIY their own terrain is not “Big No”. If someone wants to use GW terrain it will cost a decent amount. I’m not wrong. 

I will never understand these posts pushing alternatives when people are talking about GW products. Yeh, everyone knows they exist. That’s not what is being discussed. 

Edited by Marshal Rohr

4 minutes ago, Marshal Rohr said:

Suggesting someone DIY their own terrain is not “Big No”. If someone wants to use GW terrain it will cost a decent amount. I’m not wrong. 

I will never understand these posts pushing alternatives when people are talking about GW products. Yeh, everyone knows they exist. That’s not what is being discussed. 

For the minis, you're right but for the terrain, it is almost open bar every where and in every (official) tournaments. Remember the time (even now) when GW encouraged the DIY trrains, did some tuto to make your terrains etc...

So, yes, I encourage it. And for obvious industrial reasons, offering a full city is not possible with GW: not enough variety, too few customers. Yes, they will offer SOME terrain, but, hey, we are speaking about a whole city! GW is aware that most players will spent a bucket load of money on minis but far (far far far) less in decors.

1 hour ago, Lord Marshal said:

And another article, this time answering some questions. Quite a long one at that.

TLDR:

• AT and AI will still be supported.

But only Horus heresy themed. "Support for Adeptus Titanicus and Aeronautica Imperialis (in the Horus Heresy setting only) will continue, so you can continue to play these games alongside this exciting new epic scale game."

For Tau, Eldar, Astra militarum and Orks aircraft it sounds like not just the models but also the rule support will be gone for AI

2 minutes ago, Brother Casman said:

Well, with the confirmation that this is set in the Heresy era for the foreseeable future, this game is dead to me. Oh well, hope those of you getting into it enjoy it.

Don't be so negative: the Epic community is hugue. And I'm confident that people will manage something for all those wonderfull minis at the 6/8mm scale.

In fact, it'll boost the Epic comunity.

4 minutes ago, TheMawr said:

But only Horus heresy themed. "Support for Adeptus Titanicus and Aeronautica Imperialis (in the Horus Heresy setting only) will continue, so you can continue to play these games alongside this exciting new epic scale game."

For Tau, Eldar, Astra militarum and Orks aircraft it sounds like not just the models but also the rule support will be gone for AI

Yep. AI will be HH only going forward 

5 minutes ago, TheMawr said:

The various air campaigns they feature in are available as ebooks so, unless they withdraw those, that shouldn’t be a problem. Not going to get new rules, or rules for LI, obviously.

Pretty hard to buy models they dont sell though (Brrrrt noise intensifies :P 

Coming from Titanicus, the official terrain was gorgeous, but completely impractical to fill a table with due to cost. Though it may be with Epic that they dont require as much verticality so it will go further, its not impossible that theyll drop the prices somewhat too, possibly by reboxing as we have seen with 40k/KT sets.

12 minutes ago, Brother Casman said:

Well, with the confirmation that this is set in the Heresy era for the foreseeable future, this game is dead to me. Oh well, hope those of you getting into it enjoy it.

Yeah I was wavering in the hopes that a successful game would lead to 40k, but now I have no interest again. 

Don't be so negative: the Epic community is hugue. And I'm confident that people will manage something for all those wonderfull minis at the 6/8mm scale.

In fact, it'll boost the Epic comunity.

I hope so, but from what I've seen even the 3d prints for many factions aren't that comprehensive

It’s odd they are removing the Valkyrie bodies, since those definitely existed in the Heresy. There is art in Collected Visions and they’re mentioned in the Books. Iirc, they chose not to include Valkyries in AoD because they wanted to avoid cheesy Flyer spam dominating. 

On the one hand I'm happy the starter is a small army as I was hopping for much bigger formations from LI.  On the other though if this launch box is a similar price to other launch boxes and includes a discount the game will probably be out of my price range.  Oh well I look forward to watching battle reports of epic battles.