41 minutes ago, Colman said:

Have you tried white prime and Imperial Fist contrast?

Yeah, as I said (although that bit has been removed from your quote), I prefer my tanks to be painted in the same way for consistency and I don't like how contrast looks on large panels. Might try it on the Epic stuff though.

1 hour ago, Stitch5000 said:

This is the single greatest thing I have ever seen posted on this forum, hands down.

Despite how it is a statement made with confidence and direction, it's also entirely wrong. 

22 minutes ago, Dagoth Ur said:

Buying measuring tapes that come with a measure for inches on one side and metric on the other are extremely common all over Europe as far as I know - can't speak for other regions. You'd be hard pressed to find a hardware store or bigger super market with a gardening/hardware section that doesn't carry them, or at least I never had any issues finding one considering how often I forgot mine at home while travelling.

In France I've only really been able to find imperial tape measures in IKEA - and they aren't really Amy cheaper than GW ones iirc. Granted its a good few years since I went searching for one, and I don't live near the biggest cities

18 minutes ago, Redcomet said:

That would be such a waste of plastic. 

That would be awesome and makes it possible to give the Legions some optical flavour and historical accuracy.

Would prefer Mk4 over Mk6 and Tartaros over Cataphractarii.

Edited by Warmaster1988

1 minute ago, Warmaster1988 said:

That would be awesome and makes it possible to give the Legions some ootical flavour and historical accuracy.

Would prefer Mk4 over Mk6 and Tartaros over Cataphractarii.

Yeah I'm either getting 3dprint replacements for the mk6's or buying mk3-4 armour marks when available individually. Those are for me the armour marks that embody the Heresy era. 

2 hours ago, apologist said:

Anyone got any plans for Legions and, uh, whatever the equivalent of Regiments for Solar Auxilia are? 

I'm on a bit of a Salamanders kick at the moment, and think that bright green is going to really pop. One of the ways I think I could have improved my previous Epic stuff was by using brighter, cleaner colours – the techniques I use for 28mm/32mm stuff don't necessarily translate well to Epic scale.

(I have been planning this since 2015)
-1 Battalion of Imperial Fists and Armored Division

-A Company of Blood Angels in Gunships

-1 Sub-Cohort of Solar Auxilia

-1 Demi-Legio of Legio Gryphonicus and attendant House Coldshroud detachment (mostly done)

-Aeronautica Fighter Wing and Bomber Squadron (10% done)

When it comes out:

-Skitarii Cohort and Autokratorii Battalion

-Custodes and Sisters Detchment

If it comes out, if not I’ll build it from Novan Regular Siege Infantry:

-1 Auxilia Regiment, Armored Battalion, and Artillery Battalion 

The whole army is themed around campaign during Ullanor where Orks have invaded an Imperial Muster world, hence my desire for them to eventually do at least Orks :biggrin:

Edited by Marshal Rohr

1 hour ago, Dagoth Ur said:

Buying measuring tapes that come with a measure for inches on one side and metric on the other are extremely common all over Europe as far as I know - can't speak for other regions. You'd be hard pressed to find a hardware store or bigger super market with a gardening/hardware section that doesn't carry them, or at least I never had any issues finding one considering how often I forgot mine at home while travelling.

I had a quick look at Carrefour and Intermarché (french hypermarkets) and could only see metric tape measures. But they're trivial to find on amazon.fr, and dual metric-inch (le pouce) tape measures certainly exist generally, as there's one at the house of my French mother-in-law for imperial sewing patterns, from a craft store. I'm sure they'd be easy to find at a big hardware or craft store. And France is about as metric-centric as they come  - given they invented it! -  but they still have to deal with US (and to some extent, the UK) imports still using imperial measurements, even though their own have long since passed into obscurity.

Edited by Arkhanist

1 hour ago, Burni said:

Yeah, as I said (although that bit has been removed from your quote), I prefer my tanks to be painted in the same way for consistency and I don't like how contrast looks on large panels. Might try it on the Epic stuff though.

Imperial Fist is one of the new 'contrast' paints that's not actually contrast-like at all. There's several that are single-tone colours, that don't darken in the recesses or go on blotchy on flat surfaces. They're more like an intense, easy to apply base coat (when used over white). They really should have called them something different in my opinion, as they're something else.

Bad Moon Yellow, Magmadroth Flame, Baal Red, Doomfire Magenta and Imperial Fist especially, and Ironjawz Yellow, Leviathan Purple and Black Legion are also somewhat in that vein.

The older Iyanden yellow is in the bottom left, and you can see the coffee staining that makes it less suitable for larger plates e.g. tanks. Plain bad moon yellow and imperial fist at the top, on the other hand... It's the closest to doing an airbrush coat I've found via brush - I don't know what chemistry they're using, but it's goddamn clever.

Citadel_Contrast_Yellow_Review.jpg

42 minutes ago, Marshal Rohr said:

Yeah, Mark 6 breachers sure are thematic!

Sorry forgot you where an armor purist. Why stop there. Mk 1, 2 , 3 and 5 needs to be made too. So that people with magnifying glasses can see the difference and complain that the opponent is fielding the wrong armor mark for their legion in this “historical” game.

This is a joke and sarcasm btw.

Edited by Redcomet

Imagine looking back on when Badab came out and seeing how happy people were when they could finally customize the way their space marines (the most popular faction in the game) could look on an individual model level and thinking “Ew gross”. 

Actually it might just you and the Games Workshop Design Team that decided to lean into Mark 10 for the reboot I guess. 

3 hours ago, apologist said:

Anyone got any plans for Legions and, uh, whatever the equivalent of Regiments for Solar Auxilia are? 

I'm on a bit of a Salamanders kick at the moment, and think that bright green is going to really pop. One of the ways I think I could have improved my previous Epic stuff was by using brighter, cleaner colours – the techniques I use for 28mm/32mm stuff don't necessarily translate well to Epic scale.

Death Guard. Like always. I’ve been hoping for this for years now, I’ve got Legio Mortis and the XIVth’s own House Makabius with a bunch of Forumware DG on the bases and as Objective Markers. 

IMG_4331.jpeg

IMG_4318.jpeg

2 hours ago, Sword Brother Adelard said:

Can you easily buy inch tape measures in Spain? Or other metric countries? 

Care to explain why I'm wrong politely rather than just be rude about it? I'm genuinely curious.

I'm sorry if it came off as rude.

Simply try and buy a tape measure from ANY tool supplier, Draper, Stanley etc... They don;t make specific models with just metric measurements on them. Even digital calipers and such that are made in Japan rather than China have both Inches and Mil on them. Inches are still fairly intrinsic measurements in trades and engineering all over the world because they are a more tactile measurement. 

GW also buy in their tape measures from an external supplier and it is unlilely that they make a great deal of margin on them compared to in-house manufactured, non-ancilliaries. Check out the latest upload on The Painting Phase regarding this, if you'd like a better insight. 

1 hour ago, Marshal Rohr said:

Imagine looking back on when Badab came out and seeing how happy people were when they could finally customize the way their space marines (the most popular faction in the game) could look on an individual model level and thinking “Ew gross”. 

Actually it might just you and the Games Workshop Design Team that decided to lean into Mark 10 for the reboot I guess. 

There are going to be relatively limited plastic releases for this game. I would rather they explored a wider breadth of units with that rather than release slightly different versions of the same units over and over, at least to begin with. 

3 minutes ago, fire golem said:

There are going to be relatively limited plastic releases for this game. I would rather they explored a wider breadth of units with that rather than release slightly different versions of the same units over and over, at least to begin with. 

If only there was a division of GW that made niche kits with a material that has a lower setup cost.

I can totally understand wanting different Armour Mk’s in 28mm , …

but in epic :laugh: seriously !?!… at that size you can just tell they’re marines, save the detail for the bigger stuff … etc 

anyways the marines won’t  be on the table long enough for people to notice them :sweat:

1 hour ago, Stitch5000 said:

I'm sorry if it came off as rude.

Simply try and buy a tape measure from ANY tool supplier, Draper, Stanley etc... They don;t make specific models with just metric measurements on them. Even digital calipers and such that are made in Japan rather than China have both Inches and Mil on them. Inches are still fairly intrinsic measurements in trades and engineering all over the world because they are a more tactile measurement.

I don't know where you've been doing engineering, but certainly not in France. Draper and Stanley are also both anglo-sphere based, and I'm not sure many people purchase directly from a supplier as opposed to a shop.

41 minutes ago, Mumeishi said:

I can totally understand wanting different Armour Mk’s in 28mm , …

but in epic :laugh: seriously !?!… at that size you can just tell they’re marines, save the detail for the bigger stuff … etc 

anyways the marines won’t  be on the table long enough for people to notice them :sweat:

I don't know if I just have better eyes than you then. But a good deal of time you are looking at your models is when you are painting them, and I'd rather enjoy painting mk2, 3 or 5 for Iron Warriors rather than disapointedly paint mk6.

Still, I think I'll try and get the box - the mk6 should work well for some alternate heresy legions I've worked with, and the solar auxilia also seem pretty cool

2 hours ago, DuskRaider said:

Death Guard. Like always. I’ve been hoping for this for years now, I’ve got Legio Mortis and the XIVth’s own House Makabius with a bunch of Forumware DG on the bases and as Objective Markers. 

IMG_4331.jpeg

IMG_4318.jpeg

Where are you getting your ruined buildings for basing material?

I'll be doing Death Guard as well, maybe some Sons of Horus to back them up.
Haven't decided on titans yet; Legio Fureans are my favourites lore-wise, but I don't think their scheme complements a Death Guard army very well. Vulcanum would be a much better fit aesthetically and probably a lot more fun to paint, so I'm leaning that way.

I also wish we had Mk III or IV armour instead of VI, but GW have made Corvus armour the face of the Heresy (and not Heresy armour, who knew) - it's because of RTB01 nostalgia I think. We're stuck with it.

22 minutes ago, Shovellovin said:

Where are you getting your ruined buildings for basing material?

4 minutes ago, son of the forest said:

Look like they're from the Epic 40k 1997 buildings

Yup, what he said. Old Epic buildings that I cut up and turned into rubble along with some chunks of tile and a little sprue. 

I'll almost certainly do a Siege of Terra themed force because the novels have me in that mindset. Custodes are at the top of my wishlist, but Fists with Solar Auxilia backup (probably some kind of snazzy scheme to make them look like an Imperial Palace based regiment). I'm not that interested in Titans - instead I'll double-down on super heavies.

15 minutes ago, Urauloth said:

I'll be doing Death Guard as well, maybe some Sons of Horus to back them up.
Haven't decided on titans yet; Legio Fureans are my favourites lore-wise, but I don't think their scheme complements a Death Guard army very well. Vulcanum would be a much better fit aesthetically and probably a lot more fun to paint, so I'm leaning that way.

I also wish we had Mk III or IV armour instead of VI, but GW have made Corvus armour the face of the Heresy (and not Heresy armour, who knew) - it's because of RTB01 nostalgia I think. We're stuck with it.

When they made Adeptus Titanicus, the very first epic scale game in 1988, they needed to cut down on the types of sprue in the box. So they needed a reason for identical imperial titans to be fighting each other. And thus they created a little blurb about something they dubbed the Horus Heresy in M30 to explain it...

They did release some rules for tanks and space marine infantry to use in this original AT in White Dwarf, and little epic scale metal minis to represent them. This was soon followed by Space Marine 1st edition (1989) "Epic Battles in the Age of Heresy", a boxed game of the same design of marines and tanks, but now in mass-produced plastic, which could also include titans from Adeptus Titanicus. Those marines were in mark VI, same as the metal ones, because that was the armour for space marines back then. (thanks to RTB01), and thus the game of epic battles was born...

These little fellas with their cute little beakie helmets.

IMG_20170301_174446249.jpg

So mark VI was canonically the official mark of the Heresy, from the very beginning. Obviously they added older marks to the lore over time, and people of course have their favourite ones they'd like to see. Like the others, making Mark V the mishmash 'heresy' armour for armies when supply lines were shattered, and pre-heresy supplies had run short, and before mark VI had become widespread is a later addition.