Finally an article to really sink our teeth into! My thoughts, for what they're worth:

• I like the Formation. I'm sure some people want pure tanks so there will likely be a separate Formation for such Tread Heads, but since most people take Detachments of Tactical Marines anyway so a formation with a couple such Detachments makes sense.

There's also plenty of scope to include new formation rules for variation, just like Adeptus Titanicus did.

• I'm liking the mechanisms described for orders.

• Shooting seems simple enough.

• Combat seems simple if a little time consuming with a lack of fast rolling. I'm reassured by Frater here that SM2 saw this to be quick enough in practice.

Makes sense seeing as there won't be loads of melee all the time and casualties will mount etc.

Anyway I like the decisive nature of combat anyway.

27 minutes ago, Redcomet said:

I am liking what I am seeing so far. Rules where never going to be complex, given the sheer number of units being fielded. But boy oh boy this will be expensive.

And with everything else coming out, warhammer or not, in the next 6 months, I will take a pass on it as a game. And maybe just paint some Tiny Tanks

Well, still according to the leaked list, you can start with a (relatively) reasonable budget: 2 core boxes and 1 core AT and you're (almost done) with 2 armies, which is super cheap in the GW language. Even cheaper if you share this with someone to only get 1 army.

29 minutes ago, 01RTB01 said:

I don't disagree so long as both sides are having a good time. 

It'll be interesting to see if they've got titans "right" in LI because in 2nd Ed they were excellent but in Armageddon they were largely pointless. Hopefully they've got the balance here. Time will tell. 

Exactly. I don’t think a Maniple should be able to roflstomp a Legion force in a turn or whatever, but I do think that each army should represent their power accordingly and that balance should be maintained. That being said, I think the point system alone should be able to accomplish that pretty easily, or at least I would hope so.

They did a pretty decent job of it with Titanicus and Maniples vs Houses. It *should* be an uphill battle for a House to take on Titans proper, but Knights have a massive numbers advantage and their rules are more simplistic (albeit more rigid). 

Regarding points... big stuff will be expensive. We're looking at something like 900pts for a titan, sort of benchmark.

I still think we'll see options for all Knights or Titans, or at least armies heavily dominated by them. But Adeptus Titanicus is where they really shine and I wouldn't be surprised if they play a supporting role for  while.

I'd like as many people as possible to be able to play their models, so I hope we'll see large scale Knight Households etc.

image.png

so, 900pts allow:

5 questoris, or 3 cerastus, or 2 warhounds+1questoris, or 2 reavers or 1 warlord+1 little one or 1 warmaster or thoose kind of combinations.

That's gives you an idea of what you can field if there is no titan/knight formation.

About the planes, it is a bit worse as you can field only 1 detachment per formation.... We'll see.

All in all, I'm looking forward to seeing deeper to how it works. 

I don't see me buying more infantry than what's in the core box (but I plan to buy 2....at least). But I do want big tanks. And I love the leviathan (but it is so slow in the game).

Oh I fully intend on having hundreds of Legionnaires and support for them. People think I’m unhinged for having so many Titans and Knights (to be fair they’re not wrong), but it’s allowed me to field whatever Maniple / Formation I want and it’s also allowed me to loan out to other people and let them try the game out for themselves. 

29 minutes ago, DuskRaider said:

Oh I fully intend on having hundreds of Legionnaires and support for them. People think I’m unhinged for having so many Titans and Knights (to be fair they’re not wrong), but it’s allowed me to field whatever Maniple / Formation I want and it’s also allowed me to loan out to other people and let them try the game out for themselves. 

Having an internal justification for being a hoarder is always nice. :biggrin:

So looking at the Core Box for the marine side this my guess of the detachment type for each unit:

HQ: Legion Command Squads

Core: Legion 4x Tactical Detachments, Legion Assault Detachment

Support: 1x support detachment with plasma guns, 1x support detachment with missile launchers, 2x contemptor dreadnought detachments (may also be fieldable as one large detachment)

Vanguard: 1x terminator detachment

Light Armour: 1x Predator Detachment

Battle Tank: 1x Sicarian Detachment

Looking at the way Formations work, max unit size may not be the target for packaging, but letting each box be a formation. So 4 Kratos may be a ‘Super Heavy Formation’ of a Command Tank and 3 selections to fill out the formation, but max size could be 18 Kratos and a Command Tank

Edited by Marshal Rohr

2 hours ago, fire golem said:

I’d have to go back and check for sure but my memory is sort of that the initial announcement they said basically if you had a Titanicus army you’d be able to play it here too?

We won't have a competitive scene locally so we'll l play any units we want.

We can start learning the game with AT units then buy the little stuff over time.

6 minutes ago, Interrogator Stobz said:

We won't have a competitive scene locally so we'll l play any units we want.

We can start learning the game with AT units then buy the little stuff over time.

this ^^

But to be fair, just one box of core starter LI, and you're good to go with all your AT and AI stuf. 

My main concern is my printed stuff blending in with my bought stuff.

Only issue I think I can foresee is a few mm with mk2-mk5 to GWs MK6. 

With access to so much Legion specific stuff I am really struggling not to go crazy. :) 

Edited by Brother Captain Arkley

Most everyone’s printed stuff is going to be noticeably off, if they have been using the most commonly printed versions you find online. It’s why I have held off getting anything the announcement. The vehicles aren’t going to match, but the Galactic Crusaders look like they might be ok. Wanna see them next to Mark 6 first.