If that is the level of writing in the core rulebook, I can understand why they pulled it.  One core formation says core then has a clarification later that only 1 unit type can fill them; another names the specific unit rather than core in the main formation.  Both ways are acceptable, but pick a method and stick with it.  Doing it like this just makes you seem incompetent.

1 hour ago, Matrindur said:

You're right I misremembered the SM one. (I thought didn't need to fill with tacticals but only they get the Tactical Strength boost) 

a Veletaris Detachment with Volkites will probably be a Core choice, with the Veletaris specific detachment not including Lasrifles and letting you take Axes and Flamers instead. 

It seems like the professionals that write these books don’t pay as much attention to the details as the gamers who use them.  :)

Of course this applies to lots of things and the designers have probably been looking at various versions of the rule books for a year or more.  That can give you repetition blindness I guess.

Whilst asking questions on Command detachments, it'll be interesting what can be done to protect models from extragalactic death. 

I mean, freely attacking any detachment will see a small command detachment targeted as a matter of course every game.

Different editions have tackled allocating hits and casualties in different ways. I hope they use the Epic: Armageddon approach, which was to take casualties from the stands nearest the attacker. Not only was it nice and simple, but it also rewarded tactics like outflanking or surrounding the enemy.

image.png.1e63bb772e76fe450f53a3da2bee9e65.png

ON @Kneebiter's question, command stands in 2nd typically had their own personal Rhino – a Tactical Company would be eighteen stands of Tactical Marines with nine Rhinos between them, plus one Command Stand with its own Rhino.

Individuals, like Apothecaries and Chaplains, likewise were represented by one stand plus a Rhino.

Epic: Armageddon had characters as upgrades to stands, so it didn't apply in quite the same way.

Edited by apologist

I'd like that. Though looking at the formations, it appears Command is a Detachment all of itself.

I suspect command Detachments are small numbers of models that have rules about joining units if they're within coherency of certain other models and counting as part of that Detachment, akin to how 40K used to do characters. 

4 hours ago, apologist said:

ON @Kneebiter's question, command stands in 2nd typically had their own personal Rhino – a Tactical Company would be eighteen stands of Tactical Marines with nine Rhinos between them, plus one Command Stand with its own Rhino.

Individuals, like Apothecaries and Chaplains, likewise were represented by one stand plus a Rhino.

Epic: Armageddon had characters as upgrades to stands, so it didn't apply in quite the same way.

Based on this image the same will be true for LI

Spoiler

QPejQ5Bi1biZoBhc.jpg.bccc16bbf754e92d848da70f6dfb48f4.jpg

1 hour ago, Matrindur said:

Based on this image the same will be true for LI

Maybe...maybe not;

SA has almost zero transport atm.

And to be honnest, seeing that there is a bonus when infantry is in contact base to base, I think that it is not that easy to aim the HQ which is probably in the backfield covered by a horde of things.

I appreciate the comments, but specifically for the Aerial Assault Formation (which requires a transport with FLYER), do we think they're getting a Storm Eagle/Thunderhawk all to themselves or sharing with another detachment?

I'm down for whichever, but it seems silly to stick one stand in a Storm Eagle by itself, especially given the discussion about targeting command teams.

Edited by Kneebiter
Clarification

11 minutes ago, BolterZorro said:

what are the xenos races in HH? (I'm not familiar with xenos in HH).

I'd like to build my own armies (3d prints) inspired by them (but not identical for obvious copyright reasons).

And what are the most popular ones?

Orks and Eldar are the most obvious ones because they were wide spread and had a large presence during the Crusades. Just about everything else from that time was wiped out or has no actual representation in the game nowadays. 

Necron were all taking a nap. Tyranids were still outside of the known universe. Tau were still actual fish. 

There are no visual representations (as far as I know) for the Laer. Sadly, there’s not even a physical description of the Rangdan and I’d love if they did a series on the Xenocides. The Hrud were a big problem during the Crusades but their appearance is a mystery… at one point they were Space Skaven, then from what I remember they were depicted as almost Sleestaks… Emperor only knows these days. 

I know that there are people who have made homerules for Orks and Eldar in Titanicus. Depending on how close LI is to previous Epic editions it would be possible to port over old rules and tweak them a bit to bring Eldar and Orks over as well, I’m sure. 

Eldar and Orks are the most obvious as they already exist in model form, but you could make a case for Tau to represent a more 'progressive' human culture. It's hard to pass Tau off at 30k level because they are identifiably not human and the aesthetic difference is jarring, but in 8mm it could work. 

Tyranids could also represent A.N.Other xenos species that the imperium didn't bother to name, squats/votann/GSC (sans genestealers, probably) are easily segued in as abhumans. 

The only ones without a 30k mirror are probably Necrons.

58 minutes ago, DuskRaider said:

There are no visual representations (as far as I know) for the Laer. Sadly, there’s not even a physical description of the Rangdan and I’d love if they did a series on the Xenocides. The Hrud were a big problem during the Crusades but their appearance is a mystery… at one point they were Space Skaven, then from what I remember they were depicted as almost Sleestaks… Emperor only knows these days. 

I think depictions of Hrud have been pretty consistent since Xenology. That's certainly how they're described in Perturabo: Hammer of Olympia, which is where they get the most page time as far as I'm aware.
But yes, only a few basic descriptions of the Laer (although they weren't very widespread and the EC wiped them out) and nothing at all about the Rangda/n except a sketchy description of their ships. We don't know much about the Khrave, either; they're described in Lord of the First and there's a single piece of art depicting one, but that's all so far. Actually there are are two, because they're one of the unidentified-at-the-time aliens in a 40k rulebook art piece, but still.

On 8/8/2023 at 3:08 PM, Urauloth said:

I think depictions of Hrud have been pretty consistent since Xenology. That's certainly how they're described in Perturabo: Hammer of Olympia, which is where they get the most page time as far as I'm aware.
But yes, only a few basic descriptions of the Laer (although they weren't very widespread and the EC wiped them out) and nothing at all about the Rangda/n except a sketchy description of their ships. We don't know much about the Khrave, either; they're described in Lord of the First and there's a single piece of art depicting one, but that's all so far. Actually there are are two, because they're one of the unidentified-at-the-time aliens in a 40k rulebook art piece, but still.

The rangda has two known firms slave armies and slaugth as well as the same messed up bio tech the slaugth used. 

The most common Rangda was the cerebvores who are described as Vulpine humanoids. Giant freaky fox men

There’s also the Megarachnids from Murder. They’d be quite easily represented by variant Tyranid models. There’s even some fan rules created to represent them at 28mm scale which you could potentially port over. 

If you Google ‘King Fluff Great Crusade Xenocide’ you should be able to track down the rules they created with a bit of Google-FU.