13 hours ago, Pacific81 said:

It must surely be fairly soon, or they wouldn't have published the battle report in this month's WD

The publication of the battle rep was sheduled several month  before the LI release problem: LI was to be released in august. So, the timing of white dwarf was on pair with this agenda. Unfortunately, sh*t happens and this article probably forced GW to publish few reveals of units that were not to be out before the fist expansion book. Because they can't cancel an WD article!
If there is no additional problem, which seems to be confirmed by GW, the anounced "release this year" means in the next 2 month: no new big product in december => release in november. We are really close to a "LI sunday preview for preorder" :cool:

My understanding of how magazine publication works is completely contrary to that (but someone please correct me if I am wrong here, because it's based on something I read probably 20 years ago!) in that up until deadline pages can be swapped in and out and they do so with regularity - especially for something like an 'in house' publication like WD, release schedules change all the time due to production issues, so that 'new release' section suddenly has to be pushed back to next month etc. And they will have a repository of articles that they can sub in if needed (or the magazine staff have a couple of late nights working..)

So my thoughts were that battle report was due to appear in an issue a few months ago, but was delayed until now - Legions Imperialis release pending. But, like I say, this was from reading about magazines being published by Emap in the late 90s, so not sure if things have changed in that regard.

14 minutes ago, matcap86 said:

I'm expecting CoS next week with LI (possibly with 2 week preorder) and then the winddown into holidays with the army boxes. Though they could just throw in LI launchbox alongside CoS. 

Yeah next week is likely Cities with maybe the Dawnbringers 3 stuff and the week after will be LI. This way it would release on the 11th or 18th depending on if its a one week or two week preorder

Having to postpone the LI release will muck things up for them. They’ll have scheduled all sorts of other releases for whenever it does drop.

It’s good that they fixed whatever the issue was. It won’t have been an easy decision, given the disruption it’ll cause. And clearly we’re now seeing models appear that we’re intended for some kind of subsequent wave, which was presumably intended for around now. Will that drop at the same time as the core set now, or later? No idea. 

I’m not sure if I’ll go for LI. On one hand I’m probably really well set up to do it as I’ve got a load of titans and some unpainted AI planes, which together could be almost half an army. I’ve got some terrain too. But there are a lot of games out there and you just can’t play all of them. Currently it’s just not quite grabbing me. 

Same here now. The fizzle has gone from the folks I was tempting to get into it.

I'll likely build a Droppod Company and some Air Mobile units for fun, but after that it it really depends....

It’s a shame the delay has robbed a lot of excitement for some. Hopefully once launched it can recover some of that.

However I’ve been looking forward to this since AT launched so the delay hasn’t done much to diminish my excitement and I have been ebaying to clear space and raise funds. There’s lots of tiny tanks to build in my future!

I enjoyed the WD battle report this month. I’d recommend giving it a read if you can borrow a copy - hard to recommend paying £7(!) for the magazine just for that though.

Yes I bought the magazine just for the battle report too, not quite sure if it was worth the £7 but great to see the miniatures in action!

Although, and this might be the grognard in me, the style and layout of the BR is not what they were in the old days for Epic (!) :D I found it very difficult to follow, but perhaps didn't help that the format of game/game size with everything packed in together and barely a cm of empty deployment space, meant the game resembled a group of 8-year olds playing football and just mashing together in the centre of the field!

It might well be though that I've not yet read this one about 19 times, unlike the originals..

The pace they're releasing them on Warhammer tv in the vault I'll wait and read it through that and binge the content in a month.

I can't remember which bat rep it was but I did an actual word count of then vs now. The classic reports from 175-190s had such a greater word count and clarity through the maps. I can't remember the exact numbers but even army selection writeup was an embarrassment of difference. The modern example was honestly a few lines compared with two pages solid of text in days of yore.

There's no wonder there's such wide literacy issues when people are expected to read significantly less content.

The minis may be "better" now, but battle reports are still a pale shade of what they were.

Cities of Sigmar wave 2 today or LI? Place your bets now.

27 minutes ago, 01RTB01 said:

The pace they're releasing them on Warhammer tv in the vault I'll wait and read it through that and binge the content in a month.

I can't remember which bat rep it was but I did an actual word count of then vs now. The classic reports from 175-190s had such a greater word count and clarity through the maps. I can't remember the exact numbers but even army selection writeup was an embarrassment of difference. The modern example was honestly a few lines compared with two pages solid of text in days of yore.

There's no wonder there's such wide literacy issues when people are expected to read significantly less content.

The minis may be "better" now, but battle reports are still a pale shade of what they were.

Cities of Sigmar wave 2 today or LI? Place your bets now.

Both sets of fingers and toes crossed for LI as I just want the anticipation to end. 

2 hours ago, Pacific81 said:

Yes I bought the magazine just for the battle report too, not quite sure if it was worth the £7 but great to see the miniatures in action!

Although, and this might be the grognard in me, the style and layout of the BR is not what they were in the old days for Epic (!) :D I found it very difficult to follow, but perhaps didn't help that the format of game/game size with everything packed in together and barely a cm of empty deployment space, meant the game resembled a group of 8-year olds playing football and just mashing together in the centre of the field!

It might well be though that I've not yet read this one about 19 times, unlike the originals..

Fellow grognard here - I think they've got the fluff and facts the wrong way round for a lot of battle reports. The fluff should be in the more difficult to read with tiny little writing on different coloured background side boxes, and the battle details in the main paragraphs. 

I also think they should be twice as long - there's 12 battle reports a year, split between 3 or 4 main games, and 3 or 4 side games which may mean one system only gets one battle report (or match, for blood bowl) a year, and the current way of doing them has very little info about the actual rules. Even if that meant for half a year there were 10 pages of battle reports for games I don't care about, I'd find the trade off worth it. 

But I appreciate people find different value in their White Dwarfs - I don't care for serialised fiction, for instance, but I wouldn't want to remove it. 

Yeah modern battle reports are a shadow of the past, i thought it might be rose tinted specs but then they re released the Classic Space Wolves v Orks one from the OG Space wolves codex and WD and it still slaps. 

Side note: I did laugh when both players said in the after action their deployment was a huge mistake and they replicated them for the remake :D The remake BR on WH+ was quite fun though, the narrative specials they do on there are pretty good unlike the usual fare.

But yeah, the current ones are all mixed up and out of order on the page and really need good maps, and a lot more words so we can follow them! 

10 minutes ago, caladancid said:

Ok, so was it ever confirmed that the delay was because the rulebook needed a reprint? People got that rulebook in the wild I thought, and to this day I have not heard anything about what the alleged offending quote said which is very surprising.

From some of the Epic FB groups, there were a few stories doing the rounds. One of the most prevalent was that there was a combination of words used in the book (I think for either a mission name or legion ability/trait?) that also happened to be a slogan used by a certain fascist party in Europe in the 1930s - I shall say no more, suffice to say it was a bit of a blunder and required the books be re-printed.

7 minutes ago, Pacific81 said:

From some of the Epic FB groups, there were a few stories doing the rounds. One of the most prevalent was that there was a combination of words used in the book (I think for either a mission name or legion ability/trait?) that also happened to be a slogan used by a certain fascist party in Europe in the 1930s - I shall say no more, suffice to say it was a bit of a blunder and required the books be re-printed.

But that is the thing- nobody that I can tell actually has any proof this happened. It seems to me that its all internet speculation and another totally reasonable assumption is that the delay is more of the stock/warehouse problems plaguing GW.

41 minutes ago, caladancid said:

But that is the thing- nobody that I can tell actually has any proof this happened. It seems to me that its all internet speculation and another totally reasonable assumption is that the delay is more of the stock/warehouse problems plaguing GW.

Thing is, there isnt a good way to get any definitive proof without someone in the influencer programme risking their membership to do it, and why would they do that? Why would you expect that? There was some compelling reason to yank the product last minute and order a reprint, unfortunately its unlikely most of us will learn why until someone is doing a post leaving GW interview a few years down the line :D 

Personally it fits into a plausible accident but weird enough someone wouldnt think to make it up, but so is the "general book quality poor" option. Only one i dont believe is the "Didnt make enough" because GW has clearly been happy enough to take other stuff to print like that! 

4 minutes ago, Noserenda said:

Thing is, there isnt a good way to get any definitive proof without someone in the influencer programme risking their membership to do it, and why would they do that? Why would you expect that? There was some compelling reason to yank the product last minute and order a reprint, unfortunately its unlikely most of us will learn why until someone is doing a post leaving GW interview a few years down the line :D 

Personally it fits into a plausible accident but weird enough someone wouldnt think to make it up, but so is the "general book quality poor" option. Only one i dont believe is the "Didnt make enough" because GW has clearly been happy enough to take other stuff to print like that! 

Why would I expect proof? That doesn't seem unreasonable of me.

And, how would an anonymous photo of the offensive caption leaked onto the internet cause someone to lose their membership? Especially assuming that person already is telling people that the issue is an offensive thing in the first place? If GW had the capability to track that down (they don't) it would have already happened.

You are making assumptions and my point here is that nothing really supports that. How do you know the books are being reprinted? Maybe the issue was never the books, and its that there wasn't enough plastic manufacturing? 

52 minutes ago, caladancid said:

I honestly don't have a dog in that fight and couldn't care either way. You asked for an explanation and I'm just repeating what was a comment from people within the Middlehammer FB group, and from my experience of them they are not the sort just to make things up out of thin air. They could be doing that of course having a prank, I don't know them personally, but my gut feeling about them is that they aren't the sort, or just some sock-puppet account of a troll just there to spin some sort of nonsense.

13 minutes ago, Pacific81 said:

I honestly don't have a dog in that fight and couldn't care either way. You asked for an explanation and I'm just repeating what was a comment from people within the Middlehammer FB group, and from my experience of them they are not the sort just to make things up out of thin air. They could be doing that of course having a prank, I don't know them personally, but my gut feeling about them is that they aren't the sort, or just some sock-puppet account of a troll just there to spin some sort of nonsense.

I could not say why this has gotten a bit heated- I don't see this as a fight at all, just trying to figure out whether there is proof or not. 

It seems to me like its a rumor with no substance at this point.

1 hour ago, caladancid said:

I could not say why this has gotten a bit heated- I don't see this as a fight at all, just trying to figure out whether there is proof or not. 

It seems to me like its a rumor with no substance at this point.

Yeah, seems a little too on-the-nose for a group of people who are mostly imaginary at this point.

Occam's razor would suggest there are other more likely reasons for a product delay. Games Workshop is not known for their world-class logistics and planning these days.

13 minutes ago, phandaal said:

Yeah, seems a little too on-the-nose for a group of people who are mostly imaginary at this point.

Occam's razor would suggest there are other more likely reasons for a product delay. Games Workshop is not known for their world-class logistics and planning these days.

These days? That’s giving them a lot of credit in the past. 

In fairness, apart from LI, and indomitus [which was then sorted] I'm not aware of any horrific delays? Also not aware of many that haven't managed to get hold of stuff bar the occasional ltd ed book that sells out before it went on order?

It'd be a lot easier if GW were more transparent other than "it's been delayed". Ultimately, regardless of reasons, it's not available yet. I'd place good money on it being announced next Sunday for pre order on November 3rd.