10th edition Rules updated

As Foretold last week, updates to 10th edition are here already

First, the Aeldari Strands of Fate army ability receives a change to limit its power early in the game, and prevent several Fate dice being used to overcharge a single powerful attack. Now limited to just one use per phase, Aeldari players will need to think carefully about when to best apply their prognostications – though units who can manipulate the dice, like Farseers, will remain as valuable as ever.

Early games have shown that the ability for particularly massive war machines to loom over terrain and blast vulnerable units to pieces is particularly powerful, especially when entire armies of Towering units like Imperial and Chaos Knights bring the big guns. This is also true of weapons with the Indirect Fire ability, where the cover-ignoring antics of the Desolation Squad are proving tricky for many armies to deal with.

Wow, the Desolation Marines were hit hard. 

I'll have to go back to the drawing board for the list I was about to run tomorrow. 

It irks me how quickly it has happened, and how once again the tournament scene is having an impact on the casual. Yes - 30 Desolators were a problem.

A single smaller unit without character support was not.

GW tweaking the game with a sledgehammer again by upping the prices on ALL forms of indirect and not just the units that are an actual problem.

Heck, even the Deathstrike went up by 35 pts...

This lazy approach to balancing the game ("dont take the time to sort out the actual troublemakers, just nerf everything!") makes me worried for the future of 10th...

This is a pretty blunt balance update. They have simply hiked the prices of units people were trying to spam. Overpriced units like Sanguinary Guard have not been touched.

Mildly annoying as I have just acquired a squad of Desolators to split between my BAs and SWs. I will still add them but they have just gone up by 50 points before even leaving the sprues.

To sum it up:

Fate Dice took a hit to the knees; Can only use 1 Fate Dice a turn

Points increases for pretty much everything with the Towering keyword including IK, CK, WK but even Morkanauts and Lord of Skulls

Points increases for most of Guard's Indirect tanks

Points increases for Desolators and Whirlwinds

Plague marines can take 7 man squads now

Some interesting changes for Eldar, it'll be interesting to see what this changes for them especially with Wraithknights going up 105 points! 1 Fate Dice per *phase is definitely a change, definitely not the one I was hoping for to be honest.

Towering and Indirect didn't change just the units that use them (not applied consistently either). They should have gone further with both IMO and included rules changes not just points changes but perhaps this could be due in the quarterly updates.

DevWounds will continue to be a problem

Edited by TrawlingCleaner
Corrected Turn to Phase

Just now, TrawlingCleaner said:

Some interesting changes for Eldar, it'll be interesting to see what this changes for them especially with Wraithknights going up 105 points! 1 Fate Dice per turn is definitely a change, definitely not the one I was hoping for to be honest.

It is one per phase rather than one per turn so not quite as bad. If it was 1 per turn you would be unable to spend your 12 dice in a single game. I think this is probably fair and brings Fate Dice into line with the Reroll stratagem.

11 minutes ago, Minsc said:

GW tweaking the game with a sledgehammer again by upping the prices on ALL forms of indirect and not just the units that are an actual problem.

Heck, even the Deathstrike went up by 35 pts...

This lazy approach to balancing the game ("dont take the time to sort out the actual troublemakers, just nerf everything!") makes me worried for the future of 10th...

Indirect fire becomes less of an issue if they fix the terrain LoS rules.

But that would never happen. 

Edited by Interrogator Stobz
Sp.

2 minutes ago, Evil Eye said:

Game's barely out and already getting patched. And not even especially well.

GW truly has become the EA of tabletop.

This kind of sledgehammer approach simply makes me want to play the game less until they actually find the right balance for things.

It's very off-putting, and there is clearly no method to the changes.

8 minutes ago, phandaal said:

Sisters of Battle looking at their Exorcist like "what did we do wrong?"

IG FOBs assembled as Malleuses and Heavy Lascannons wonder the same.

(Not that I've seen anyone complain about the Bombast to begin with.)

GW: "How dare you have an indirect option on your datasheet!?"

2 minutes ago, Orange Knight said:

It's very off-putting, and there is clearly no method to the changes.

Yeah, especially when you see things like the Morkanaut and Exorcist getting hit.

Guess I should be glad Votann did not cop another nerf somehow just because.

3 minutes ago, Interrogator Stobz said:

Indirect fire becomes less of an issue if the fix the terrain LoS rules.

But that would never happen. 

Feels like they specifically did not want to errata the core rules. This release has been a massive cluster:cuss: from a rules standpoint. One would hope that this will be a teachable moment for GW about the importance of playtesting prior to release. Then again, hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

2 minutes ago, phandaal said:

Yeah, especially when you see things like the Morkanaut and Exorcist getting hit.

Guess I should be glad Votann did not cop another nerf somehow just because.

I actually expected Berserks to go up in price since they do have a whooping D6 S4 indirect shot per 5.

Honestly, I think the reason they din't go up in cost is because GW forgot they exist.

Just now, Dark Shepherd said:

Limiting the Missile Marines to units of 5 wouldve been an idea

I am not sure that would have helped without points changes. Desolators are pretty good and do not rely on Leader support to operate. In fact they can't take very many Leaders and the once they can take are largely defensive (Librarian and Apothecary). In terms of their damage output 2 x 5 is pretty much the same as 1 x 10.

Although I suppose that it would have stopped people spamming 30 since they are not Battleline.

Just now, Orange Knight said:

A better approach would be to limit certain units to 1 per list. Oh well, now everyone gets punished.

Just personally I would rather reduce the incentive to spam rather than introduce artificial caps. Ultimately good internal and external balance will lead to more varied and interesting lists. If you have a dozen too-good units capped at 1 each, you will get a lot of armies featuring 1 of every capped unit and then anything else is just makeweight.