Back to One Page Rules

Valerian

Well folks, despite having a lot of fun over the past several months chasing all of the 10th edition rumors, discussing the new rules, and then doing the same with the new Indexes, the honeymoon period is wearing off and I’ll be heading right back to focusing on playing One Page Rules (OPR) games.  Although 10th edition appears to definitely be an improvement over 9th, there just isn’t enough improvement in the system to draw me back to actual 40k.  Instead, I can use my beloved Space Wolves models to play a game that I enjoy much more than the one that they were intended for.

I appreciate that GW has finally ditched the ancient Force Organization Chart, that they’re providing all of the rules online for free (at least for now - we’ll see what happens when the first Codex is released), that they’ve gone back to leveraging Universal Special Rules, and that they’ve gone back to having most Characters join units, rather than give buffs via auras. However, OPR has had these as features all along.  

Even the “Simplified not Simple” version of 40k is somehow still chock full of bloated unnecessary rules and features. Although 10th edition is certainly simpler than 9th, the internet forums, Facebook pages, and 40k subreddits are still full of confused players that don’t understand how various abilities for their armies are supposed to work.  Like every edition before it, 10th is destined to follow the same, tired, progression of FAQs, Errata Documents, Balance Dataslates (points adjustments), and the inevitable “Codex Creep” of the release lifecycle. 

Meanwhile, pretty much anyone can spend about 10 minutes reading the Core Rules for OPR’s “Grimdark Future” (their analogue to 40k), and about 20 minutes building an army list using their online Army Forge list building platform, and they’ll be ready to play.  Talk about accessibility for new players. And talk about convenience for us old players. I still very much enjoy throwing down my models on a well-prepared battlefield to play a game every now and then with my buddies, but I don’t have the ability to spend so much time and mental energy trying to keep up with the current state of the ever-evolving 40k landscape. In my opinion, OPR is much better suited for us “Dad Gamers.”

I could go on and on about why I prefer Grimdark Future to 40k, but that’s not really the purpose of the post.  I merely wanted to let some of you know where I’ve gone off to again if I get less active here in The Fang after the flurry of activity of the last several months.  

This forum will be sad to see less of you. You’ve driven a lot of the discussion lately which I’ve appreciated.

I’m trying to think 10th is in beta. I hope it improves. Most of my gaming group is playing WarCry so I may try my hand at that in the meantime.