Thoughts on Calgar + 6 Aggressors

jimboslice

I’ve never played standard marines but am putting together some ultramarines from “extra” primaris that I’ve collected here and there.

Seems like Calgar’s free advance/fall back then shoot and charge with Aggressors would be a good way to deal with large groups of infantry.  Perhaps the issue being speed and getting them up the board.

Thoughts from the more experienced SM players?  Better ways to deal with large groups of infantry? 

Calgar, 6 Aggressors and a Bolter Drill Biologis is going to be a mainstay in many marine armies.

Fragstorm Aggressors put out even more shots than a unit of Desolators (albeit at much reduced range and no indirect).  Coupled with free fallback/advance and shoot/charge from Calgar they are excellent for controlling the mid-field.  They can even get up to AP-3 and ignore cover when shooting with the right combination of buffs.

Pretty much.  Calgar comes with two MC Power Sword bodies too - plus his super fists - and he allows the whole unit to advance, shoot, and charge all on the same turn. 

I'm Looking at:

Calgar

Biologis

Telion

Intercessors x5

Aggresors x6

Scout Sniper Squad x10 with Missile Launcher

Redemptor Dread Macro-Plasma

Gladiator Lancer

Gladiator Lancer

Repulsor Executioner (Laser Destroyer)

Tiny Model count, but insane firepower, and what models you do have are generally concentrated outside of the T3/T4 expected standard - You've got enough Laser Destroyers to probably clear any threats to the Redemptors, which clear the threats to the Aggressors - Macro-plas vs Gravis/TEQ is well and truly painful. 

Edited by Tacitus

It’s a tough combo for sure.  Something to point out though is that if you attach him to a Tacitus Armor Squad he raises their toughness from 4 to 6.  The new rule of mixed toughness squads says use the highest toughness, and Marneus looks like the only Leader that can attach outside his Armor profile in the Space Marine Codex.

4 hours ago, CCE1981 said:

It’s a tough combo for sure.  Something to point out though is that if you attach him to a Tacitus Armor Squad he raises their toughness from 4 to 6.  The new rule of mixed toughness squads says use the highest toughness, and Marneus looks like the only Leader that can attach outside his Armor profile in the Space Marine Codex.

Unfortunately the rules for attaching Characters states that you always roll against the Toughness of the Bodyguard unit.

While a Bodyguard unit contains a Leader, it is known as an Attached unit and, with the exception of rules that are triggered when units are destroyed (pg 12), it is treated as a single unit for all rules purposes. Each time an attack targets an Attached unit, until the attacking unit has resolved all of its attacks, you must use the Toughness characteristic of the Bodyguard models in that unit, even if a Leader in that unit has a different Toughness characteristic.

7 hours ago, Tacitus said:

Pretty much.  Calgar comes with two MC Power Sword bodies too - plus his super fists - and he allows the whole unit to advance, shoot, and charge all on the same turn. 

I'm Looking at:

Calgar

Biologis

Telion

Intercessors x5

Aggresors x6

Scout Sniper Squad x10 with Missile Launcher

Gladiator Lancer

Gladiator Lancer

Tiny Model count, but insane firepower, and what models you do have are generally concentrated outside of the T3/T4 expected standard - You've got enough Laser Destroyers to probably clear any threats to the Redemptors, which clear the threats to the Aggressors - Macro-plas vs Gravis/TEQ is well and truly painful. 

This list would probably be better suited to dropping 1 of either the Dreads or Executioners as well as the scouts and Tellion.  Popping a unit of Incursors, a unit of Infiltrators and a Hailstrike gives LOTS of synergies to marines and turns the Aggressors into the best sweeper unit marines can take.   Aggressors with AP -3 and Ignores cover are disgusting when they have an OOM target in their sights!

Could be, but I like the layers - the Laser Destroyers kill almost everything that can hurt the Dreads, the Macro Plasma kills almost everything that can threaten the Aggressors, and the Aggressors can kill almost everything else.   I think the "weakness" is if someone alpha strikes the Dreads before they go after the tanks. 

1 hour ago, Sea Creature said:

Ballistus on average will do more damage versus monsters and vehicles.

Monsters and Vehicles are for the Laser Destroyers.  The Dreads and Macro Plasma are for Gravis and TEQ - but yah its a lot of vehicles.

Edit to Add:  The theory is based on the list Cruor had success with - with the end of the FOC system, I think the easiest path to victory is a couple-few turns of Alpha Strike followed by playing the mission in the end couple-few turns after the opponent doesn't have enough models left to compete on points.  I don't think the idea is to table the opponent, just decimate them enough to remove their ability to contest. 

Edited by Tacitus