+ Glueing stuff together and splashing on some paint, 30k Iron Warriors +

Trixie

Having a last ditch attempt at this, having tried a few army specific themed wip threads before and always burnt out or lost interest after buying too much up front. So now I'm going to have a go at a general wip thread to put any and all the stuff I cobble together into.

After learning a valuable lesson about returning to the hobby with adult spending power and basically "doing it wrong" I went away and built and painted an army slowly bit by bit over a few years and actually ended up with a sizeable 30k Iron Warrior army,

Lately I've been working on adding some long range firepower to the force and have got stuck into a pair of Scorpius Whirlwinds and a 2 small squads of recon marines. I've got a fair bit done with the main colours and just glossed them up ready for transfers and oil washes. I'll add the highlights and details afterwards but this is where I am at right now...some very shiny factory fresh wargear but soon to get  quite grimed up.

image.thumb.jpeg.ce6ad122bdd826e69faca2c4b7a1def1.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1b23f1204ee6a955e613f5a0e3f8cb19.jpeg

Edited by Trixie

Looks like you're off to a good start :biggrin:

12 hours ago, Trixie said:

After learning a valuable lesson about returning to the hobby with adult spending power and basically "doing it wrong" 

I think we've all been there. :blush: It's very easy when you have more disposable income than time to inadvertently create a Pile of Potential™...

Whilst not technically a wip, these are some bitter boys from units I finished previously just to give an idea of the finished product in terms of grime. I'm not the greatest painter but I'd certainly describe my painting as neat and functional. Oddly the camera seems to not pick up a lot of the oils but they certainly look a lot grubbier in person.

image.thumb.jpeg.7cad28604d924e7a07686733fbd8c85c.jpeg

1 hour ago, Urauloth said:

Nice! 
I like those bases too, how are you doing them?

The bases are done using the Vallejo Earth Texture, primed black and painted with GW Dryad Bark. Then I add a couple of areas of Vallejo Flat Earth to break it up and a wash of Agrax Earthshade all over, and later a few splashes of Nuln. After this the base gets a very light drybrush of GW Gorthor Brown and then an even lighter drybrush of Vallejo Pale Sand over the whole base

The rocks are actually tiny little rock chips I gather on walks, they get a black prime then a quick coat of Vallejo Basalt Grey and a light drybrush of Vallejo Cold Grey.

Still working on the Scorpius/Recon, but since I had to mix up some oils, I thought I'd touch up and oilwash a previous unit I had worked on.

Here is a full 10 man seeker squad for my Iron Warriors after a fresh daubing of oil, although either I'm doing it wrong or my phone camera just isn't picking up the oil much in the pics I'm taking. Either way here is some stuff.

image.thumb.jpeg.ec587a58d0f7cee8f853436f857e6636.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.cda3166d16ba6110b4c994e7d040f235.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.1da44f3623b7e42b25be042ebe83eb84.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.da332740aee07be0ca89992fffcc3ba7.jpeg

@ZeroWolf thanks :).

@Firedrake Cordova aye I certainly learned a lesson, I managed to trade most of the unused stuff but I kept a small portion for some conversion work.

@Grotsmasha yeah clean IW aren't really my thing either, so I'll be griming all this lot up until it is suitably dirty.

1 hour ago, Firedrake Cordova said:

They look good - I can definitely see the effect of the oils on the panels (e.g. the thigh armour), which gives a nice, fairly subtle worn effect. :smile: 

The hazard stripes are nice and crisp too :biggrin:

I'm glad someone can see it, I was beginning to wonder if it wasn't there and I could only see it because I REALLY wanted to see it :yes:.

Aye those hazards....anyone who paints the IW knows what a pain in the arse those can be, especially on infantry. I've had plenty of practise with them now but I can't forget to mention the excellent help that hobby masking tape has provided for this particular unit. 

@Cpt.Danjou Thanks :) Regarding the tape, the smallest one I have is a 2mm size and I think I started using it but found it too thick for the seekers so kinda adjusted the thickness by the old fashioned way by painting over them so the stripes are somewhere between 1mm and 1.5mm thick now. It's only now after closely inspecting the hazards that I see they aren't perfect and I remember the painful hand brush work that was done. As @Firedrake Cordova mentioned though Tamiya make some excellent masking tape and probably where I'll be going once when I need more.

@Pearson73 Thanks :) I've stolen so many Iron Hands parts for my Iron Warriors you'd think they were secret Blood Ravens. Whilst I liked the resin 30k IW headpack I'm not keen on the wacky IW torsos with the stars on them. So I much prefer the very cool IH stuff with all the bionics and pipes, especially the IH MK3 squad pack they released....shame it's so expensive these days. 

The thinnest tape my FLGS had was 6mm, which has been ok, for Helbrutes and Rhinos, but is way to thick, but now they are going to bring in both 1mm and 2mm till next week. And i don't see any flaws in your stripes, and I always try to remember that most people usually see them not closer than arm length. Blowing up a picture on the computer is always painful, as I always see the flaws, that are barely seen with the naked eye.

Cpt.Danjou