1k Phobos - thematic

Galvinized

Hi all, I've recently started collecting some photos models to build as RG. I'm looking to put a 1k thematic list together. I'm after any advise from those in the know, would this list have any play? There is always the question of if the list has enough anti tank and can pack a punch along with now possibly a lack of OC from not using battleline units.

Here is my initial list. Any suggestions are much appreciated. 

Phobos  (1000 points)
Space Marines
Raven Guard
Incursion (1000 points)
Gladius Task Force

CHARACTER

Kayvaan Shrike (110 points)
  • 1x Blackout
    1x The Raven’s Talons

Librarian in Phobos Armour (75 points)
  • 1x Bolt pistol
    1x Force weapon
    1x Smite

Lieutenant in Phobos Armour (60 points)
  • 1x Bolt Pistol
    1x Master-crafted scoped bolt carbine
    1x Paired combat blades

OTHER DATASHEETS

Eliminator Squad (95 points)
  • 1x Eliminator Sergeant
    • 1x Bolt pistol
      1x Close combat weapon
      1x Las fusil
  • 2x Eliminator
    • 2x Bolt pistol
      2x Close combat weapon
      2x Las fusil

Incursor Squad (90 points)
  • 1x Incursor Sergeant
    • 1x Bolt pistol
      1x Occulus bolt carbine
      1x Paired combat blades
  • 4x Incursor
    • 4x Bolt pistol
      4x Occulus bolt carbine
      4x Paired combat blades

Infiltrator Squad (90 points)
  • 1x Infiltrator Sergeant
    • 1x Bolt pistol
      1x Close combat weapon
      1x Marksman bolt carbine
  • 4x Infiltrator
    • 4x Bolt pistol
      4x Close combat weapon
      4x Marksman bolt carbine

Invictor Tactical Warsuit (160 points)
  • 1x Fragstorm grenade launcher
    1x Heavy bolter
    1x Invictor fist
    1x Twin ironhail autocannon
    1x Twin ironhail heavy stubber

Invictor Tactical Warsuit (160 points)
  • 1x Fragstorm grenade launcher
    1x Heavy bolter
    1x Invictor fist
    1x Twin ironhail autocannon
    1x Twin ironhail heavy stubber

Storm Speeder Thunderstrike (160 points)
  • 1x Close combat weapon
    1x Stormfury missiles
    1x Thunderstrike las-talon
    1x Twin Icarus rocket pod

I played a very similar list week 

Unfortunately my dual Warsuits couldn't take out 1 Leman Russ and my opponent had 2...

So lasful Elim's or Devs might also be required? 

But a good basis for sure! 

• 1 month later...

I like the 'shenanigans' that phobos units can do, especially in combos with characters etc. I am building a similar themed list mainly focused on phobos but with other units that have funky deployment or move rules (so termis, jump troops etc.). 

I think the main issue is lack of anti-tank with a phobos themed line up, high toughness stuff in 10th is quite common in the meta, with all the tanks going up in toughness and really the best a phobos line up can do is strength 9 on las fusils or the invictor autocannons.  Which means most armour you face you will be wounding on 5s. 

The thunderstrike helps as that gives +1 to wound against monsters and vehicles.  But you might struggle still, you only have 3 las fusil shots, 2 lascannon shots from the speeder and 6 shots from the invictor suits, might struggle against tank or monster heavy set ups.

Maybe swap out an invictor for Lancer? That would give you some very reliable anti-tank or anti-monster fire. If it sits still it hits on 2s (or if it shoots at what the incursors shoot at) with its Lancer laser destroyer, you get 2 attacks, it's S14 so would be wounding most vehicles on 3s, plus if it shot at the same thing as the thunderstrike it would be wounding on 2s! It then does D6+3 damage. It also gets to re-roll one hit roll, one wound roll and one damage roll. So in combo with the thunderstrike its almost always going to hit both shots and probably wound both shots.  That would actually free you up to use Oath on other targets. 

I think in a 1k list, having 30% of points in Invictors might too much. I like them and their special rule but they are only T8. A Lancer for example has a pretty high chance of blowing one of the board in one turn. 

I'd also suggest a Captain in Phobos instead of Shrike, not sure Shrike can do much on his own and a Captain can attach to one of your squads, plus he gets the special redeploy ability, which means you can redeploy 3 phobos units after your opponent has deployed and you know who is going first, plus you can put them into strategic reserves regardless of how many you already have. 

If you swapped Shrike for a Phobos Captain, a Lancer for one of the Invictors and got rid of the Phobo Lt, you'd open up 105 points so could get like a Reiver squad in there, or another Eliminator squad, or you could add one of the assassins (except the Callidus). Go for Predator Annihilator instead of a Lancer you could add like Inceptors which are a very useful unit currently. 

Just two cents

General rules of thumb for building an army list
a) usually one never more than two characters

b) if one of a unit is good then two is better 

Specifically for a Phobos list. 
a) 2 Lasfusil Eliminators minimum

b) 2 units of Incursors for the midfield, 2 units Infiltrators for the backfield

Shrike is going to have to operate as a lone operative. I see play with him for right now as an assassin. He could definitely lend some deep-striking Reivers a hand though. 

A lot is going to change soon and I don’t think an all-Phobos force is  going to be effective unless they allow a true assault squad of Phobos. From the sounds of it Intercessors in Tacticus are getting that gig. So we’ll just have to wait and see 

Edited by Dracos